News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chryslers at Carlisle '20. Who's going?

Started by 66FBCharger, June 11, 2020, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I'm sitting here wondering if Chryslers at Carlisle will be as packed as it usually is (attendance wise) or if it will be small because of the fear of the virus or because people have been out of work for a long time.
I've been trading messages with the 4 guys I normally go with. It seems like most of them are seriously considering skipping it this year.
I'm just wondering what everyone is thinking.
Please don't turn this into political thread!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

XH29N0G

Can you add a poll.  This might let people say yay/nay with minimal acrimony.  I wanted to go, but am not ready to risk it. And I'm hoping my fear is a big mistake.  I'm sure there will be plenty of others who are ready and plan to go.  I wish them all well.  :cheers:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

66FBCharger

Quote from: XH29N0G on June 11, 2020, 04:21:43 PM
Can you add a poll.  This might let people say yay/nay with minimal acrimony.  I wanted to go, but am not ready to risk it. And I'm hoping my fear is a big mistake.  I'm sure there will be plenty of others who are ready and plan to go.  I wish them all well.  :cheers:

How do you add a poll?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

XH29N0G

I do not see a way to add a poll, but you might start a new thread as a poll and then ask the mods to put a link to the poll in this one.

It looks like there is a tab to start a poll just next to the start a new thread tab.

I wasn't trying to make work, just thought the topic might lend itself to a poll and yield interesting results.  So do whatever you prefer.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

4cruzin

The mods can add a poll if you ask.  I am going but I do expect that the show will not be at normal attendance . . one reason is the Canadian border is still closed so no members from there are coming. Then the fear of catching the virus will keep some away.  I am not worried about the virus at all  . . plenty of room at the show.  Shouldn't be that difficult to distance from people . . and Carlisle is also taking steps to insure everyone stays safe. 

:2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Bad B-rad

Wife and I have been planning to attend.
We have gone to the Mopar Nats(in Ohio) many times but never to Carlisle.(Ohio is 8hrs from us, Carlisle 3 hrs, go figure,lol)
Last few times we were at the Nat's, the "buzz" was that Carlisle was a MUCH, MUCH better show.
I hope this current Covid situation doesn't put a hurting on the fun factor.

alfaitalia

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 17, 2020, 09:27:16 AM
I hope this current Covid situation doesn't put a hurting on the fun factor.

With all  these rules it look like not much fun at all for this year!!! All things going to plan I want to be there for 2022 show....never been to the States before.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ODZKing

I thought about it for quite some time and came to the conclusion that it was not going to be a normal year for Carlisle. With the borders closed, all the Canadian folks won't be there so that's some attendance gone. And who knows what will be open, not to mention wearing a mask, it is always so hot there.
Moparfest as well as the Syracuse Nationals, 2 big shows are cancelled.
So I contacted the office and they kindly said they would roll our registration (which we made in December) over to 2021. When I called I spoke to Barb, she said they were getting back to folks as quickly as possible. So while I was on the line I asked if they'd gotten many cancellations and she quietly replied, yes.
So, I'm out for this year and you folks who are going, enjoy and best of luck to you.  :2thumbs:
I will be interested to hear what everyone who does go has to say.

Cooter

23 years in a row, I'm goin and there better be some good deals dammit.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

NHCharger

Quote from: timmycharger on June 18, 2020, 02:35:34 PM
I hope it still will take place..

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/coronavirus/health-department-coronavirus-carlisle-car-show-lawsuit/2436542/

They settled before court resumed yesterday. ALL Carlisle shows will go on. They will release details shortly. I expect they will need to follow the same guidelines as Hersey. Only 50% max capacity. No groups bigger than 250 in an enclosed structure.

They said attendance for Spring Carlisle is 100,000 spread over four days. Reports estimated yesterdays attendance at 6-7k. Even if you double today's attendance that's still off 50%. i'm sure many didn't go to Spring Carlisle for fear of the State padlocking the gates just before they got there.

The lawyer for Carlisle said in court on Thursday they expect vendor participation way down, I've heard between 30-60%, but who knows. Many of the vendors that sell repop parts won't be there because of lack of inventory due to supply chain disruptions. Megaparts, Vans, Detroit Muscle Technologies have already announced they will not be there this year.

The wife and I are still going. We are both over 60 so taking a few precautions. Staying at a nice hotel this year that gets cleaned on a daily basis, not weekly like the past places we have stayed. Biggest precaution is that we are bringing all our own food and drinks, so we will not need to venture into a restaurant or convenience store.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Bad B-rad

Sweet!!!
I cant wait, I hope its a good, safe, FUN time for ALL!!!

MoPaR 312

We normally go to Iola Car Show in Wisconsin this weekend as a family tradition but since that got cancelled I think we are finally making the trip over to Carlisle. Hope to see a bunch of Chargers there.

Bad B-rad

Is anyone no longer attending, that has hotel reservations?
Instead of driving there 2 days in a row, wife said we may as well get a hotel, if rooms now become available.
I am not asking for a free room(I wouldn't turn it down, LOL)
I just figured I could just take your reservation, instead of you canceling, and I will pay for it.

If so PM me. THANKS

71charger_fan

I registered the Charger, but the shop that's painting it had to shut down for a while, so they're just getting started on it. So, I'm still planning to go, but I'll have switch registrations at the gate to the '55 Plymouth.

1973rallye

As already stated, Canadian Border shut down so I am out for this year. Was able to call Barb at Carlisle Events and those nice folks moved my registration over for the 2021 event. Looks like no shows, local or otherwise for a lot of us this year. :'(
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

4cruzin

Quote from: ODZKing on June 18, 2020, 07:36:29 AM
And who knows what will be open, not to mention wearing a mask, it is always so hot there.

If you check, the mask is only required to get in the door.  Once inside, it is up to you.  I will just throw something on to get in and that's it for me.   :2thumbs:

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

some additional clarification.
On wearing masks - If you read the new PA rules the exceptions are still
where you can social distance
According to the order, people must wear masks if they are:
*Outdoors and unable to consistently maintain a distance of 6 feet from individuals who are not members of their household.
* In any indoor location where members of the public are generally permitted.
*Waiting for, riding on, driving or operating public transportation or paratransit or while in a taxi, private car service or ride-sharing vehicle.
*Obtaining services from the healthcare sector in settings including, but not limited to, a hospital, pharmacy, medical clinic, laboratory, physician or dental office, veterinary clinic or blood bank.
* Engaged in work, whether at workplace or performing work off-site, when interacting in-person with any member of the public, working in any space visited by members of the public, working in any space where food is prepared or packaged for sale or distribution to others, working in or walking through common areas, or in any room or enclosed area where other people, except for members of the person's own household or residence, are present wherein unable to physically distance.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

AKcharger

There is also a rule about people from some states required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. But we're still going, be there Thursday night!

NHCharger

Right now our decision hinges on the weather. Bad enough that the attendance will be down 30-40% including vendors.  80% chance of rain on Saturday as of now :icon_smile_blackeye:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69bfan

I am expecting that the number of the larger vendors selling reproduction parts may be down by as much as 70%.  Smaller vendors will be down possibly by 40%.  I have also heard from two guys that have pulled their cars from the Building T display.  I personally believe that it will be pretty much like a local show where those that are close enough to make a two to three hour drive will come down on Friday or Saturday to see it and then go back home that night.  With issues still supporting adequate lodging and restaurant availability, people will be hesitant to come.

At this time, we are still coming, but at 50% of our previous levels.  In the years past, I would be arriving on Monday afternoon so that we could be all set for the Thursday arrival of customers.  This year, our plan is to arrive on Thursday.  Things are changing daily with the various suggestions, rulings and laws; so we are waiting to the very last minute as to leaving.  It is 14 hours for us, so we can only wait and see how it turns out.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

gtx6970

If I were still vending, I think I would sit it out this year

NHCharger

Wife and I tapped out. One thing I hadn't thought about was returning from the show. My wife wondered if we should self quarantine for 14 days when we get home. I hadn't really thought of that. I can't miss that much work and she usually cooks supper a couple nights a week for her Dad who is 88 and still lives in his own house. She was worried about possibly transmitting the virus to him. Just not worth the risk this year. Really suxs, will be only the third or fourth time I have missed the show since 1995.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TeeWJay426

I'm out this year as well, for the first time EVER....been to every show since it's inception in 1991. It really sucks, but with a lot of the crew I usually go with cancelling as well, and the expectation of much lower attendance and general show quality, I figured it was better to stay home than spend the time, money, and aggravation just to be disappointed. Hopefully things will be 'normal' for 2021.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

4cruzin

Appears many are not making the trip.  Weird I booked a room 2 days ago and got 4 days and 3 nights for $195.00.  Stayed there before and it was $110.00 a night.  Looks like the hotels are hurting for business as well. 

AKcharger

Quote from: 4cruzin on July 08, 2020, 09:45:16 AM
Appears many are not making the trip.  Weird I booked a room 2 days ago and got 4 days and 3 nights for $195.00.  Stayed there before and it was $110.00 a night.  Looks like the hotels are hurting for business as well. 

We haven't booked a hotel yet for that reason...we know its not crowded

Bronzedodge

Better rates if you're willing to be 30 min away in Harrisburg or Chambersburg.  Place I was in last year just west of Harrisburg over the river increased their rates.   :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Mopar forever!

AKcharger

Went to Mechanicsburg, rates good but hotels we fuller than expected...good show

4cruzin

Was a really good show although as expected . . . attendance was down.  Think there were about 2200 cars . . was nice that the rain didn't come and the breeze was appreciated all weekend.  Certainly do not regret making the 8 hour ride out. 

Nice to see some old friends and meet some new!  Already looking forward to next year!    :2thumbs:

alfaitalia

2200 sounds like a lot to me.....How many cars are there on a "normal" year?....just for comparison.

ODZKing

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 16, 2020, 12:47:41 PM
2200 sounds like a lot to me.....How many cars are there on a "normal" year?....just for comparison.
From what I could find on the internet, 2803 cars was 2019 attendance.

4cruzin

I went looking  . . it appears that the number was around 2850 . . when I went to the front to see how many members registered for the ebody group, they were still registering cars on Saturday afternoon and I asked what number we were at and it was over 2850.  This picture is from last year! 

alfaitalia

One day................................. :2thumbs:

gtx6970

I talked to a friend of mine yesterday. He said as late as early Saturday it was WAY down both cars , vendors and walkers

But by noon cars coming in were  filling up fairly well.
Overall he guesses they were down maybe 20% total
Some big vendors were not there , Year one, Vans and a few others .

AKcharger

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 17, 2020, 03:20:37 PM
...Overall he guesses they were down maybe 20% total...

I think that's about spot on