News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

has anyone dyed their seats?

Started by mt.sledder, July 18, 2020, 07:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mt.sledder

New seat skins are an October delivery from legendary. My vinyl seats are in mint shape, I just want to change from green to black. My bodyshop has dyed all my door panels, dash pad, etc all black with a sem product and they all look amazing. Will the dye hold up on the seats? Car gets about a dozen 15 mile runs each summer. Car is a 68 charger black with red stripes. I'm considering dying the inserts red also.

ACUDANUT

On flexible seats that get friction, heat and butt sweat, good luck.

gtx6970

Back N Black

I dyed the seats in my charger from white to black, 10 years and 20 km still looks perfect.(SEM DYE).

chargermick

I dyed mine in a kiddie pool in my basement 15 years ago. It was supposed to be temporary, they still look perfect. I also used SEM dye.

timmycharger

Properly prepped surface with the SEM system will last forever  :Twocents:

blakemon

Leatherique dye will work on vinyl seats also. Just remember that prep is important.

green69rt

Think of it this way.  Spend $200 (maybe) to dye your seats now.  Keep them for some years and see if things work out.  If it doesn't work out, then get new upholstery.  Just a comment, most Japanese (or other asian cars) use surface dyed upholstery.   I think European cars use vat dyed.   My wives Acura lived 17 years and 215K and just showed some aging of the color.

I have just finished dying my buddy seat, I have dyed dash pads.  All looked very good.  As others say prep counts.  I used SEM Vinyl Prep (#38343) and Classic Coat Black (#17093).

After about 2 days drying time, the finish came out dull so I dressed the parts with some ArmorAll.  Pic of before and after, below.