News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body swap with a 50 Dodge truck body

Started by nvrbdn, July 23, 2020, 07:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

And the pass side. Everything is spot welded in.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

67440chrg

Keep up the good work. Your getting there.

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nvrbdn

Thank you guys!! This has been something new to me to try, so I am making it up as I go.  :smilielol:

So today I decided to put the door glass in, then move to the lights. We are actually having a car show this Sunday in Roxana, and I am pre-registered with the Charger, so the truck doesn't need to be done too fast because it won't get to go anyway, but the wife thought I should try to take the truck instead. If I only get one car show this year, It has to be the Charger. (Duster would be second)  Well, I just got the roll up glass done in time, cuz here came the rain again. Every day lately. So I guess I am done for the day, and the vent windows will have to wait until tomorrow.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

timmycharger

Love this project!  :cheers:

Sorry if I missed it but how did you attach the 50 Cab on the new chassis? Same with the bed? Until I looked again and watched the video I thought it was all at mock up stage still!!!

Keep up the great work  :popcrn:

nvrbdn

Thanks!!  First of all, the bed from the Mazda was used. The sides were cut off. The bolted back down on the frame. The Mazda bed mounts with 6 bolts. Then the Dodge bed sides were welded to the Mazda bed. That was the easiest way to put the bed on. Since I kept the floor of the Mazda, it had the cab mounts in it. So the cab was welded to the floor metal.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

This picture shows that the Mazda bed was mounted back after the sides were cut off. Then the bed sides were welded to the old Mazda bed. The second pic is of the bed with the sides removed.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

timmycharger

nvrbdn

Your welcome. This pic shows after the cab was welded to the floor, Metal was cut and welded in to fill any gaps and strengthen the cab along both sides.  :2thumbs: The lower seam was caulked and Dyna mat has been ordered to cover the entire floor.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Sunday was nice finally. No rain!! But there was a car show, and I wasn't gona miss it!!! So off I went to the show. Got a 3rd place trophy in Mopar up to 1978 modified. They had 215 registered cars, and several drove in late.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Monday came in bringing back the rain.  :rotz: Tuesday was a doctors visit, then get some little things done on the truck. And today I was able to play outside all day!!!  The weather was beautiful yesterday and today. 50's at night and high 70's all day. So the welding the floor was completed today, and the heat shield was put down. Then I installed the felts in the doors. What a productive day!!! Hope to get to the junk yard soon to find a bench seat. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Another beautiful day outside today!!! So it was time to get the door gaps right, and get the fenders fitting better. Cut, grind, weld and presto, things are lining up much better. The doors work awesome!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Kern Dog

Hey, I didn't know your car was a '70. The '68 stripes had me fooled!

nvrbdn

Yep, she is a 70. When I had it painted, I wanted a stripe. Well it isn't an RT. It's a 500. and I liked the 68 stripe better, so I had the guy add it. Just a personal preference.  :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ACUDANUT

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Today was a good day to do some body work. Metal was welded in ground and body putty added. lots of sanding.  :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more smoothing. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

And time for some primer. Hot sunny day today, so only a few hours working today for this guy!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

We had wet weather again today. But it did clear up and I made it out there for a few. Helped the neighbor work on his golf cart for a bit, then worked on making the front of the hood area look a bit better. that little chrome piece costs a fortune, and I would rather spend that cash on new window rubber seals. I think I will be putting a Dodge emblem jn the center area where the holes are.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Kern Dog

Quote from: nvrbdn on August 06, 2020, 10:50:19 PM
Yep, she is a 70. When I had it painted, I wanted a stripe. Well it isn't an RT. It's a 500. and I liked the 68 stripe better, so I had the guy add it. Just a personal preference.  :yesnod:

Yep, that is a great looking car in a color rarely seen.

nvrbdn

Thanks Kern Dog!!  :cheers:  I am enjoying your build of the Charger!!!   
          Today was running boards. They had to be cut down to size. Sure does change the look with them on there!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Been a little slow around here with everything going on, but I did get out there and mount some tail lights I found stuffed in an old box in the garage. I think they go well with the truck!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

So today was a day to hook up the lights, level out the bed a little and cut off the back of the fenders. I don't have the step sides that would be after the rear fenders, and really don't think I would want them on.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

So after leveling the bed and adding 2" spacers on the rear wheels, plus making a few wheel well supports, she is standing pretty good!!! :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House