News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Problem w/ Tonys Parts

Started by Bossman963, July 23, 2020, 12:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossman963

I'm just trying to give some heads up on the parts that Tonys Parts sells- specifically the vent window frames for a 68-70 Charger. This is the mainframe he sells ( for about $600.00) and you have to attach your original frame to the window. I was told that since the dowel pins didn't fit, drill out the hole on the frame ( both sides) and if needed just hammer on the part to make them fit ( quote from directly from tony's), also the crunch pin that holds the vent wing in ( the hole) had to be modified to accommodate the pin ( that came with his kit),    now the bigger problem is the passenger side frame is produced with a slight twist in the bracket side that looks a wrench (on the end) and is about 1/4" higher than the original frame, so it doesn't work or fit properly.   I installed, my original vent wing frame (to compare) and it went right in.    so don't waste your time and money on this vent frame product that a piece of S**T.      It appears as the manufacture ( Tony's)  doesn't care about his product :shruggy: :brickwall: :scratchchin:
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

timmycharger

Quote from: Bossman963 on July 23, 2020, 12:17:17 PM
I'm just trying to give some heads up on the parts that Tonys Parts sells- specifically the vent window frames for a 68-70 Charger. This is the mainframe he sells ( for about $600.00) and you have to attach your original frame to the window. I was told that since the dowel pins didn't fit, drill out the hole on the frame ( both sides) and if needed just hammer on the part to make them fit ( quote from directly from tony's), also the crunch pin that holds the vent wing in ( the hole) had to be modified to accommodate the pin ( that came with his kit),    now the bigger problem is the passenger side frame is produced with a slight twist in the bracket side that looks a wrench (on the end) and is about 1/4" higher than the original frame, so it doesn't work or fit properly.   I installed, my original vent wing frame (to compare) and it went right in.    so don't waste your time and money on this vent frame product that a piece of S**T.      It appears as the manufacture ( Tony's)  doesn't care about his product :shruggy: :brickwall: :scratchchin:

I have to ask, before ranting on a forum, did you contact him to discuss? 

Bossman963

Yes I did reach out to classic Industries 1st, they  couldn't get anywhere with Tony, so they told me to call him directly- I did and one of (Tonys parts) comments was just take a light hammer to get parts to sink/fit. also use a 3/16 drill- to clear out some areas.

I have called Classic 3 times to let them know about the new problem of pass vent wing- they havent returned message or a phone call, most likely dont want to deal with the issue.

So to answer your question- yes I have and tried to get this problem resolved- but apparently they dont want to fix the problem, so figured the forums is the best next place :o ::)         
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

timmycharger

Thank you for that, I wish you luck.  He is a member here and hopefully will chime in and try to help you out.  :cheers:

Birdflu

Well this isn't good news! I just spoke to Tony this week in regards to these vent window frame kits. I have tremendous concerns about aftermarket parts. It wasn't as though I was expecting him to tell me if they truly had issue(s) with these kits, but based on the connections I have in the industry, I wanted to get a 'feel' of what I was up against. He told me they are on their 3rd run of these vent window frame kits and that they have NOT made a running change since their inception and that they fit well. Based on that conversation with Tony and further conversations with Chris at Stephens Performance and Jamie at Megaparts, whom also both stock these kits, they also ensured me that they've had no issues with the above mentioned. Based on the info gathered, and the fact that our local plating company is months behind, I made the executive decision and ordered a set from Stephens Performance. Hopefully, I will have only good things to say about this vent window frame kit!  :2thumbs:

Bossman963

Birdflu a few pics below & for anyones info
pic #8 as Tony part on right & original on left
pic #7 is a level shot from the side of both brackets
pic# 6 show Tonys bracket on left with a twist & curve inwards- original wing on left
pic#3 shows bracket twisted inwards- Orig bracket right
pic#2 a pic level, flat, surface etc and taken pic from side- the difference in height

So this is why I just thought put it out there- maybe just the pieces I got was a bad run on passenger side wing, off kilt etc- dont know- except the re-pops dont fit correctly and my originals do (my originals go right in without any effort)- take it for what its worth. I had another mechanic bud & machinst look at the pieces to make sure what I was seeing- was correct- the agreed there not the same
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

TONY

Quote from: Bossman963 on July 23, 2020, 01:26:40 PM
Yes I did reach out to classic Industries 1st, they  couldn't get anywhere with Tony, so they told me to call him directly- I did and one of (Tonys parts) comments was just take a light hammer to get parts to sink/fit. also use a 3/16 drill- to clear out some areas.

I have called Classic 3 times to let them know about the new problem of pass vent wing- they havent returned message or a phone call, most likely dont want to deal with the issue.

So to answer your question- yes I have and tried to get this problem resolved- but apparently they dont want to fix the problem, so figured the forums is the best next place :o ::)         

Hello;

Just to clear some of this up.

First off I'm sorry you haven't figured out to install them yet.

We retail the vent frame kits for $545 set.
The kit includes all of the pot metal parts that are chrome and are now very costly to get repaired and rechromed. You just attach our parts onto your old vent frame (instructions included or linked to on our website how to install. We recommend body glue as opposed to peening over the posts, as the factory had a tool to do that without damaging the chrome posts).

I came into this issue with bossman midstream because the customer bought the parts from Classic and when Classic couldn't figure out the customers issues, They asked us to help out.

First off the dowel pins come installed. There is no need to remove them and therefore no need to have to install them.
When the customer was told to drill something, we thought he was referring to the pin on the bottom of the vent glass channel, because that's what area the customer was describing to both myself and Classic. We first told him to loosen the screw then try to get the pin on the bottom of the vent glass channel to slide in.  It turns out the customer was trying to describe something else but couldn't convey his thoughts properly.

The customer admitted to not knowing proper terminologies and realizes that could have led to some of the issues.
But he was NEVER told, by us at least, to drill out the dowel pin holes, like I said the dowel pins come installed and need to be a tight interference fit. We thought there may have been some debris in the dowel hole for some reason so we said if you got a small 3/16" drill bit and spun it by hand in the dowel hole that you may clean it out.  At the point when we did understand that he couldn't get the dowel pins in, we all wondered why he uninstalled them in the first place???
And since he couldn't get them in I asked him to use a light hammer and to gently tap them in.
I will never forget his response "what's a light hammer?" and he repeated that too!
At that point I felt that this job was beyond his level of expertise and asked that he take them to a professional shop to have them installed. Too bad he didn't live close we could have had him over and we would have tried getting it straightened out.

After speaking with the customer, Classic spoke with me again and they felt that the customer had modified the parts and that they couldn't offer help to him any longer.

I can say that we are on our 3rd run of these, over 500 per run, and besides some changes made during the first run nothing else got changed or revised, that there are over 1200 of these kits out there with no issues. The change during the first run (5+ years ago) I believe was a cosmetic one, not a fitment issue.
This is the first I've heard about an issue with the "wrench" end, which is the lower front end, not fitting.  If that were the case I can't see how it wouldn't affected others cars as well. I'm only guessing here, but maybe this cars door had a prior issue and that's why the old chrome front post fits easily. The left and right posts were made as mirror images, so they both wouldn't fit if they were made wrong.

Going by the photos you just posted of the wrench end, I'm not sure if you have them all labeled correctly, but it looks like your post has either been welded on or just happen to rust that it looks like a weld.

I'm sorry I don't know what to say, but both myself and Classic tried to help bossman but couldn't. Hopefully one of the guys here can help with your installation of these.  :cheers:

Here is a link to the instructions:
https://2bc76b99-7a19-4557-be05-264943f1e7e9.filesusr.com/ugd/dc27ed_9b1e5f94febf402eb611a7feb0e47510.pdf
https://2bc76b99-7a19-4557-be05-264943f1e7e9.filesusr.com/ugd/dc27ed_9b1e5f94febf402eb611a7feb0e47510.pdf

INTMD8

I have these on my car.  Slight differences in that lower bracket but I was able to get them assembled/installed and lined up no problems.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: TONY on July 23, 2020, 05:31:50 PM
Quote from: Bossman963 on July 23, 2020, 01:26:40 PM

Hello;

Just to clear some of this up.

First off I'm sorry you haven't figured out to install them yet.

We retail the vent frame kits for $545 set.
The kit includes all of the pot metal parts that are chrome and are now very costly to get repaired and rechromed. You just attach our parts onto your old vent frame (instructions included or linked to on our website how to install. We recommend body glue as opposed to peening over the posts, as the factory had a tool to do that without damaging the chrome posts).

I came into this issue with bossman midstream because the customer bought the parts from Classic and when Classic couldn't figure out the customers issues, They asked us to help out.

First off the dowel pins come installed. There is no need to remove them and therefore no need to have to install them.
When the customer was told to drill something, we thought he was referring to the pin on the bottom of the vent glass channel, because that's what area the customer was describing to both myself and Classic. We first told him to loosen the screw then try to get the pin on the bottom of the vent glass channel to slide in.  It turns out the customer was trying to describe something else but couldn't convey his thoughts properly.

The customer admitted to not knowing proper terminologies and realizes that could have led to some of the issues.
But he was NEVER told, by us at least, to drill out the dowel pin holes, like I said the dowel pins come installed and need to be a tight interference fit. We thought there may have been some debris in the dowel hole for some reason so we said if you got a small 3/16" drill bit and spun it by hand in the dowel hole that you may clean it out.  At the point when we did understand that he couldn't get the dowel pins in, we all wondered why he uninstalled them in the first place???
And since he couldn't get them in I asked him to use a light hammer and to gently tap them in.
I will never forget his response "what's a light hammer?" and he repeated that too!
At that point I felt that this job was beyond his level of expertise and asked that he take them to a professional shop to have them installed. Too bad he didn't live close we could have had him over and we would have tried getting it straightened out.

After speaking with the customer, Classic spoke with me again and they felt that the customer had modified the parts and that they couldn't offer help to him any longer.

I can say that we are on our 3rd run of these, over 500 per run, and besides some changes made during the first run nothing else got changed or revised, that there are over 1200 of these kits out there with no issues. The change during the first run (5+ years ago) I believe was a cosmetic one, not a fitment issue.
This is the first I've heard about an issue with the "wrench" end, which is the lower front end, not fitting.  If that were the case I can't see how it wouldn't affected others cars as well. I'm only guessing here, but maybe this cars door had a prior issue and that's why the old chrome front post fits easily. The left and right posts were made as mirror images, so they both wouldn't fit if they were made wrong.

Going by the photos you just posted of the wrench end, I'm not sure if you have them all labeled correctly, but it looks like your post has either been welded on or just happen to rust that it looks like a weld.

I'm sorry I don't know what to say, but both myself and Classic tried to help bossman but couldn't. Hopefully one of the guys here can help with your installation of these.  :cheers:

Here is a link to the instructions:

Thanks for coming on here to try and rectify the situation Tony!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

qwick68

I bought and used a set on my car with no issues.....take your time, read the instructions and don't get frustrated
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise