News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Circuit Board Replacement

Started by nitrousn, July 25, 2020, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrousn

Just as the title says. I am putting my 69 charger back together. Gauges are inop. New wiring harnesses, Cluster completely refurbished. I even bought a new circuit board with the integrated voltage limiter as I did not like a loose pin on the old one. I have the dash in the car and am ready to fire it up. Everything works perfect except the gauges. I regret now not doing a bench test of the system first. I compared all connectors to the board and they are all correct. I am pretty sure the voltage limiter is defective. My question is has anyone replaced the circuit board in the car without removing the cluster. If so please give me some ideas as how you did it. Everything fits so tight and there are so many connections on the back side and these clusters really fit tight and I hate to rough things up. Thanks.

69hemibeep

Sounds like a ground problem if nothing works, the limiter is for gas and temp.

Nacho-RT74

the voltage limiter can be replaced with cluster in place.

if the cluster missed the ground, that makes the voltage limiter get stuck sending 12 volts ( which gets the ground also by chassis ) and that stage is able to burn the gauges in seconds. On 3rd gens they fortunatelly changed that getting also a reinforcement on chassis ground with a wired ground to the PCB/VL

Voltage limiter can be damaged being able to send all 12 volts or 0.

EDITING
SORRY, just took care you said have got a PCB with intergrated VL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

nitrousn

Quote from: 69hemibeep on July 26, 2020, 08:40:10 AM
Sounds like a ground problem if nothing works, the limiter is for gas and temp.

Read what I said. Every other item works. If it was a ground the gauge lights would not work as they share the same ground as the limiter. Circuit board has ground, keyed power but nothing feeding the gauges. Just looking to see if anyone had removed one without pulling the cluster.

69hemibeep

Sorry about that but no I have not.