News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight relay upgrade questions

Started by 70 sublime, August 28, 2020, 08:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

I have been going to try this for a while and finally got started on this yesterday

I took the head light harness apart right beside the battery were they join together
Just tried the low beam section first as in if I screwed it up I could still get home with high beams  :2thumbs:

I backed the low beam wires out of the socket and joined the socket back together again

Since I was at the battery for now I put the ground wire to the negative battery post and the power feed wire to the positive battery post
I have a fuse in the power wire to the relay from the battery
Ran the other two wires from my car wiring harness to the other two posts on the relay

Taped every thing up and was just left everything  sitting beside the battery

Went for my drive last night and everything worked well

When back home for the night I always pop the hood and pull the negative cable off the battery
Under the hood of my car always seems very hot when I do this so this is normal

I grabbed the relay and it seemed much warmer than everything else

So two questions

Do the relays normally get hot ?
Might be better when I fasten it to the rad support kind of like a heat sink ?

What size fuse should I use in my power supply wire ?
I have a 25 in it now

When I get everything sorted out and mounted ( might put them on the front side of rad support to be cooler ) will run a feed wire from the alternator post instead of the battery 

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Nacho-RT74

They can get certainly a bit hot, but... HOW MUCH HOT IS HOT FOR YOU ?.

standard low beams don't suck more than 5-6 amps both. With a good voltage rate ( 13-14 volts ) could be lower load. Being halogen, maybe 7-8 amps. So you could use a 12-15 amps fuse and should be fine. 35 amps fuse maybe for highs since they are 4.

I never have worried about the relay location due cooling or the heat casue by themself. Mines are in fact into the cab, on kick panel area and I have halogens.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html