News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing Line Lock.

Started by Canadian1968, September 06, 2020, 04:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

i've decided I want to install a line lock kit for when I am at the track and doing my burnout. 

I am going to install it online with rear brakes . So when I engage the line lock it will block fluid to the rear brakes but my front will still be controlled with pedal as normal .

Question  is , since it's all hard line I can't really pinch the line during the install . What is the easiest method to disconnect line going to back with out making a huge mess. ?

There is already a joined connection  half way down the side the drivers rocker that goes to the back. This is where I plan to plumb in the kit . Juse un hook this and let it drain into a container ?

John_Kunkel

Use a stick or something similar to depress the brake pedal about an inch and keep it there. This will prevent fluid from flowing from the MC when the brake line is disconnected.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Canadian1968

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 06, 2020, 05:01:27 PM
Use a stick or something similar to depress the brake pedal about an inch and keep it there. This will prevent fluid from flowing from the MC when the brake line is disconnected.

really ? How does pressing the brake pedal not push fluid out of the MC?

cdr

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 06, 2020, 04:01:57 PM
i've decided I want to install a line lock kit for when I am at the track and doing my burnout. 

I am going to install it online with rear brakes . So when I engage the line lock it will block fluid to the rear brakes but my front will still be controlled with pedal as normal .

Question  is , since it's all hard line I can't really pinch the line during the install . What is the easiest method to disconnect line going to back with out making a huge mess. ?

There is already a joined connection  half way down the side the drivers rocker that goes to the back. This is where I plan to plumb in the kit . Juse un hook this and let it drain into a container ?

I did this on mine, works AWESOME, be sure & switch the fluid flow direction on the solenoid
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Canadian1968

juse about to get it. But freaking out , I hate figuring out fittings !

what adapter do I need it says the unlet and outlet are 1/8 npt .   So what do I nees to connect my regular 3/16 brake line inverted flare too?

Does 1/8 end need to have a flare or is it sealed with the pipe thread ?

cdr

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 06, 2020, 09:54:19 PM

what adapter do I need it says the unlet and outlet are 1/8 npt .   So what do I nees to connect my regular 3/16 brake line inverted flare too?

The auto parts store will have the adapters you need
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 06, 2020, 06:21:28 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 06, 2020, 05:01:27 PM

really ? How does pressing the brake pedal not push fluid out of the MC?

When the pistons move forward they shut off the ports to the reservoir and prevent fluid in the reservoir from flowing while you're performing maintenance. Of course, there will be an initial leakage of fluid when disconnecting a union but no continued flow.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 06, 2020, 09:54:19 PM

The line locs i have used recently call for double flare fittings in the instructions but when you look at the lin loc it is clear they require an iso flare. I have called tech support many times over the error and they have flat out said they dont care. Look at the unit, not the instructions.

Canadian1968

hmmm the kit is coming tomorrow see what it looks like !

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 07, 2020, 03:59:34 PM
The line locs i have used recently call for double flare fittings in the instructions but when you look at the lin loc it is clear they require an iso flare. I have called tech support many times over the error and they have flat out said they dont care. Look at the unit, not the instructions.

What brand?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 08, 2020, 01:43:59 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 07, 2020, 03:59:34 PM

What brand?

Hurst

John_Kunkel

Isn't the solenoid itself threaded NPT? So doesn't the adapter fitting determine the flare?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 09, 2020, 02:35:15 PM
Isn't the solenoid itself threaded NPT? So doesn't the adapter fitting determine the flare?

Thus the directions problem. The ones in the last few i got were OLD photocopied. Didnt match the product. Hurst tech line said they knew and weren't worried about it.

Canadian1968

correct me if I am wrong here guys. But a NPT seals itself threw the threads NOT threw the surface area of the flare .

So the NPT does not need or actually doesn't have a flare .  Hence the need for the adapter. So that you create a male inverted flare so brake line can seal to it .

John_Kunkel

Correct. It's always amazed me that a metal-to-metal surface seals at all.

Canadian1968

Quote from: cdr on September 06, 2020, 07:26:42 PM

I did this on mine, works AWESOME, be sure & switch the fluid flow direction on the solenoid

I've got the fittings. and have the wiring all done next is to mount and plumb the unit . CDR you day because I am using it to hold the fluid OFF I should switch the flow? So the line going to the rear brakes should be plumbed to the tip port ( M ) and the line from the distribution will go to one of the 3 bottom ports ?

cdr

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 13, 2020, 12:22:05 PM
Quote from: cdr on September 06, 2020, 07:26:42 PM

I've got the fittings. and have the wiring all done next is to mount and plumb the unit . CDR you day because I am using it to hold the fluid OFF I should switch the flow? So the line going to the rear brakes should be plumbed to the tip port ( M ) and the line from the distribution will go to one of the 3 bottom ports ?

it is made to hold pressure, so switch the in & out lines to lock OUT the rear brakes

Canadian1968

Well got it all installed , and worKS amazing!

So nice not to have to over power the rear brakes . Feels so much easier on the car, and with my foot controlling the brakes it's so easy to control as roll out .
Now I just have to try and keep it only for "track use " :cheers:

cdr

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 17, 2020, 09:13:51 PM

So nice not to have to over power the rear brakes . Feels so much easier on the car, and with my foot controlling the brakes it's so easy to control as roll out .

I agree, when I am in the burn out box at the track it is nice to be able to let the car creep up a little at a time.

timmycharger

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 17, 2020, 09:13:51 PM

I installed line lock on my Charger as well. Had it when it was an automatic and only used it at the track. Now with my car being a 4 speed, I feel it is easier to do a burnout (vs. just revving to 2k and popping the clutch) as I have more control.   But what I didn't plan on is being able to use in traffic.  I was stopped on a steep hill for a red light with some A hole right on my bumper.  The line lock worked perfectly in this situation, used it like an E brake.

With the 4 speed was the challenge of where to put the button to still allow me to hold on the wheel and shifter so I got myself a cruise control turn signal stalk and carefully replaced the switch and used a relay. Works perfectly!