News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey experts can you (update) follow my paint plan so I don't mess up

Started by AKcharger, October 16, 2020, 02:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I did n't ignore ya' HH, you do this for a living...I just didnt have any guidance from the data sheet on what type and how much...I have enough problems following directions exactly, I could only imagine the rsult if I didn't!

BUT for next clear WHERE can I get that ino on type reducer needed and ratio...like is it 6:6:1 or somthng?

Canadian1968

I admire your dedication.  A lot of guys would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. There is a ton to learn in the refinish industry and most of it comes with plain trial and error and hours of experience.  This is no doubt a big learning experience and will only help you in your further projects. You will learn that you do get what you pay for.  There is a big difference between that $200 clear coat and that $400. Same goes for spray guns

AKcharger

Quote from: Canadian1968 on December 10, 2020, 07:44:00 PM
...There is a big difference between that $200 clear coat and that $400. Same goes for spray guns

I'm with ya' I thought it was a good gun? From now on I'll consider it a "primer only" gun  :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

I like my using my Sata Jet 2000, I have a 3000 & 95 & 90 but prefer the 2000 which is now a antique. A nice Sata Jet will cost you anywhere from $800 to $1,600. Buy 3 new ones & that's alot of Money. LEON.

AKcharger

Well only project I expect before I die is the '72, but I don't see that coming down for paint for another 5 years...just in time to forget everything I just learned  :rofl:

AKcharger

OK, well trying to make the 1 Jan deadline. Paint done, now putting all 171 parts I removed back together! (OK in 2005 I put a Vinyl top on..how do I d that again??)

AmadeusCharger500

PlainfieldCharger

hemi-hampton

Looks good now  :2thumbs: Curious, how many hours did it take to sand & rub that Paint? LEON.

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 23, 2020, 10:56:13 PM
Looks good now  :2thumbs: Curious, how many hours did it take to sand & rub that Paint? LEON.

Ah, well I cheated a bit and had a shop spray the clear in their booth  ;D  AfterI sanding it all back to 600 I had a "come to Jesus meeting" with myself.  My choices were 1) reshoot it again and hope for the best 2) Buy a new gun and reshoot it...and hope for the best 3) Have a shop spray it in their booth.  I hate to admit I can't to everything perfectly but the clear coat soundly defeated me. But I will say it was $$ well spent, it's awesome! don't even need to cut and buff!

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

Yes,  I bought another gallon of that clear and was waiting for weather and time off work... and gave it to shop with car and $$

AKcharger

Last questions!
1) It's been 3 weeks since clear was sprayed...is it safe to install stripe
2) we're gonna have temps in the high 30's...is that too cold for the left over paint/clear or do I need to bring it in the house? (need to shoot bay still)

Thanks!

Oh, I owe you guys photos..

PlainfieldCharger

hemi-hampton

In my opinion, if your not going to drive it in Winter & Store it all Winter, Why the rush to get the stripe on :shruggy: I'd suggest waiting at least 60 days. 90 days better. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary. LEON.

AKcharger

- Thanks for the kind words Plainfield! I discovered the secret formula is just two simple things...Time and Money!
- Leon no race I guess, I just want to declare the car "DONE" I can wait a bit more thx  :2thumbs:

AKcharger

Well, moved on to Engine and engine bay. I'm Very happy with how it looks and I didn't do any thing diffrent? Perhaps I get 'stage fright" doing the whole thing?? Well, car is just about done :-)

hemi-hampton

:o OH, NO, The dreaded painted caster camber access plate :brickwall: one of my biggest Pet Peeves. :shruggy:

timmycharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 20, 2021, 01:03:15 AM
:o OH, NO, The dreaded painted caster camber access plate :brickwall: one of my biggest Pet Peeves. :shruggy:

They looked taped off to me?  :shruggy:

Nevermind  ;D was looking at the actual bolts vs the plate..

AKcharger

I've only seen them Body color, they were black but I thought that was a goof...Darn!

AKcharger

Well Engine is back in and I'm gonna call the car "Done" I still have a few little things left but it's 99% and I'm thrilled. bummer is once you put all the A/C stuff on can't really tell that much diffrence.

I'm very happy with this car that all the original stuff still works great (well have to R2 seals and charge A/C) I equivalate it to buying a '70 charger in 1978; Still looks good and most everything is still there and works fine with just one or two things people messed with.

PlainfieldCharger

hemi-hampton

Looks good, you need that heat shield thing that goes ontop of the drivers side exhaust manifold & then has a tube that goes to dual snorkel air cleaner. they are hard to find. I think the Radiator Core support anti-freeze decal goes more the the drivers side. Air Cleaner decal goes to air cleaners pass side but hard to make them stick if you got the textured paint on air cleaner. LEON.

RallyeMike

Looks pretty good from here. Congrats  :2thumbs:

Now the big question: Would you do it all again?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

AKcharger

- Thanks Plainfield! Yup! tomorrow is it's 1st car show

- LEON yup, would love to find one of those shields, I will someday. While GENERALY correct about the antifreeze decal location this one had it on the PAX side so I placed it EXACTLY like the original. in fact I even made sure the emission decal near the data plate was crooked, just a tad, like the original (it was a Friday afternoon car)

- Rallye Mike Wow had to think on that one but answer is YES. It would be VERY difficult to find a car as original and unmolested as this (though I could go without the Criminal body guy!)