News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I have found the widest wheel/tire combo you can put on a third gen. Many pics

Started by Paul G, May 20, 2006, 11:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

did you compared between center of carb ( purificator bolt )and both fenders ?...

My car has been never crashed and isolators/bushings are the stock ones never replaced. I have found my buddy's Charger the same
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

deathcharger71

oh my 71 small block the engine is about an inch towards the passenger side, figured this out when my air cleaner didnt fit and i slammed the hood  :icon_smile_angry: now i have a nice big dent an inch to the left of the center of my hood when your looking at my car from the front.

moparguy01

if you look real close you realize that the axle tubes are slightly different lengths, and the trans tunnel itself is slightly off. at least on my car it is.

71charger_fan

I'm running 255/60-15s on 7" rims on the front of my '71 with no rubbing.

kamkuda

It does look really good Paul  :icon_smile_cool:.  Thanks for the information as it helps in picking rims. :icon_smile_wink:

I am looking at rear 17x9.5 with a 5 inch backspace and 17 x 7 with a 4 inch backspace in an Ebody.

68RT4ME

I was reading about wheel and tire combo's here in another link. Someone referred to this link and so after reading it all the way through, I found it very interesting.

When I first bought my car, it was wearing a new set of 15x10 inch rallies on back with new 295/50-15" BFG's. They hung out too much past the rear fenders for my taste. The fronts were 15x7's, 235/60-15's. Too small/low profile for me. I called Stockton wheels and ordered a new set of 15x8 Rallies for the rear (took 5 weeks for delivery, they said they forgot about my order....nice  :brickwall:) Anyway, and put 275/60-15 BFG's on them and they filled up the wheel well just right I think and look plenty wide  from the back. They hook up great too.

On the front, I went with 255/60-15's BFG's. Again, no problems with clearance and a nice footprint. The handling's nice too. I'm thinking, that's about as much tire as you can go with, without having to use spacers and or modifying the springs. Of course, I'm only talking about 15" wheels. Don't know about other sizes.

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

red72chrgr

68rt4me, what is the backspace on your wheels?  The size of tire you have on the front is what I'll be using all around.
Nothing personal, just business

68RT4ME

Quote from: red72chrgr on September 19, 2007, 07:57:24 PM
68rt4me, what is the backspace on your wheels?  The size of tire you have on the front is what I'll be using all around.

The fronts are 4.25 in back space and the rears are 4.50 in.. No rub, no clearence issues.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

plum500

68RT4ME, have you got any other shots of your car and it's stance -- in particular from the back?

68RT4ME

Quote from: plum500 on September 20, 2007, 12:21:49 PM
68RT4ME, have you got any other shots of your car and it's stance -- in particular from the back?

http://71superbee.com/Andy_Guevarez/

Try this link, hope it works. Please ignore the dented rear valance...lol I have another one with the cutout's I'm having painted to switch it out with...

Andy

red72chrgr

Nothing personal, just business

tdaver

Hi PaulG,

I have a '72 charger that I am about to put new rear tires on and I was referred to your posts for info.  Very helpful indeed.  I have one question.  Are your rear springs stock?  I am trying to decide if I want to raise the rear end at all and it would help if I knew how your rear ride height compared to stock.  Any info would be soo helpful.

Thanks!!

Paul G

tdaver,

The rear springs are still stock. They are sagging, thats the reason the air shocks are still on there. I have the rear up just a little over stock. I put a set of offset shackles on the springs to get a little more room between the tire and spring rearward of the axle. I also took a grinder (clearanced) to the side of the springs to gain a little more clearance in foreword of the axle. Since the springs were worn out anyway I wasnt worried too much about ruining them.

You will have to raise the rear end to keep the fender lip from rubbing on the tire if you want 10" wide wheels on it, no way around that. Some people want the lowered stance, tire inside the fender look. I like the old school, jacked up in the rear look myself.

Hear is what it looks like now

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

tdaver

Hey PaulG,

Thanks for the info.  I too like to old-school look.  I am probably going to replace the rear springs with ones that are about 1" above stock and stick at least 295's on.  You info and great pictures are the look I am going for.  Thanks very much!

tdaver

CHRGR SE

Quote from: Paul G on April 26, 2008, 08:15:30 AM
tdaver,

The rear springs are still stock. They are sagging, thats the reason the air shocks are still on there. I have the rear up just a little over stock. I put a set of offset shackles on the springs to get a little more room between the tire and spring rearward of the axle. I also took a grinder (clearanced) to the side of the springs to gain a little more clearance in foreword of the axle. Since the springs were worn out anyway I wasnt worried too much about ruining them.

You will have to raise the rear end to keep the fender lip from rubbing on the tire if you want 10" wide wheels on it, no way around that. Some people want the lowered stance, tire inside the fender look. I like the old school, jacked up in the rear look myself.

Hear is what it looks like now

What a beauty!  :2thumbs:
Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.

kamkuda

Very, You have to be proud driving that beauty thru town. 

Grass is nice and green too ;)

71charger_fan

I just ordered new 275/60s and 255/60s from Tirerack.com. They wouldn't ship them until they called and talked to me. I assured them they were replacing the same size tires already on the car. The guy still didn't seem too crazy about the idea. I think he thinks I'll be sending them back when they don't fit. Even tirerack has trouble thinking outside manufacturers standard sizing sometimes.

tdaver

Hi folks,

I just put BF Goodrich Radial TA's, size 245/60-15s on 15x8 TorqThrust II rims with 4" backspacing on the front of my '72 charger.   They fit great and look great.  No issues.  I have 15x10" rims on back with 5" backspacing.  I am using MT 315/60R15 ET Street Radial tires and they are darn close to the leaf springs, about 0.25".   Originally, I ordered MT 295/65R15 tires which would have fit fine without spacers, but they were backordered until September!   Not too good for this race season!   I am going to add a 0.313" Gorilla spacer to the tires I have.  This should get all surfaces at least 0.5" from the leaf springs.  I will let you know how it goes.

Paul G

Quote from: tdaver on June 04, 2008, 09:41:57 AM
Hi folks,

I just put BF Goodrich Radial TA's, size 245/60-15s on 15x8 TorqThrust II rims with 4" backspacing on the front of my '72 charger.   They fit great and look great.  No issues.  I have 15x10" rims on back with 5" backspacing.  I am using MT 315/60R15 ET Street Radial tires and they are darn close to the leaf springs, about 0.25".   Originally, I ordered MT 295/65R15 tires which would have fit fine without spacers, but they were backordered until September!   Not too good for this race season!   I am going to add a 0.313" Gorilla spacer to the tires I have.  This should get all surfaces at least 0.5" from the leaf springs.  I will let you know how it goes.

Pay close attention to how many threads you have showing on the lug have after you use the spacer plate. I was not comfortable with it when I put the spacer plates on. I found longer lugs that were made for a Jeep Liberty. They were just a little longer than my stock lugs which gave me at least a full nut of threads. Dorman 610-174 was the part number.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

autodynamics

tdaver

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the advice.  I have found that Gorilla and Cragar make lug nuts with a shank below the conical section that extends 0.3" into the rim to compensate for the spacer.  Summit carries both.  It should give me the full lug nut worth of threads.  If these don't work, I will check out the Jeep nuts.    They will be here tomorrow!

Todd

71 Bee Man

Quote from: 68RT4ME on September 19, 2007, 10:49:54 AM
I was reading about wheel and tire combo's here in another link. Someone referred to this link and so after reading it all the way through, I found it very interesting.

When I first bought my car, it was wearing a new set of 15x10 inch rallies on back with new 295/50-15" BFG's. They hung out too much past the rear fenders for my taste. The fronts were 15x7's, 235/60-15's. Too small/low profile for me. I called Stockton wheels and ordered a new set of 15x8 Rallies for the rear (took 5 weeks for delivery, they said they forgot about my order....nice  :brickwall:) Anyway, and put 275/60-15 BFG's on them and they filled up the wheel well just right I think and look plenty wide  from the back. They hook up great too.

On the front, I went with 255/60-15's BFG's. Again, no problems with clearance and a nice footprint. The handling's nice too. I'm thinking, that's about as much tire as you can go with, without having to use spacers and or modifying the springs. Of course, I'm only talking about 15" wheels. Don't know about other sizes.

G'day Andy,

did you say your rear wheels are 15 x 8 inch ?

What size trim ring do you have on it ? Is it for a 15 x 7 and if so how does it look.....does it sit OK ?

From what i've heard if i get 15 x 8's for my Bee they only make the trim rings in 15 x 7.

Peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

BMOTOXSTAR

I have a pretty weird combo.....I think my tires were close out bargain bin tires....
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

konigcharger

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on June 04, 2008, 09:47:16 PM
I have a pretty weird combo.....I think my tires were close out bargain bin tires....

you have cop wheels man

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT