News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new chapter in the life of an unrestored Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, November 09, 2020, 08:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

Hemi daytona XX29J9 B381*** invoice notice dent in nose

can we not make a train wreck out of this thread by dragging other vin's into it?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Dragon Slayer

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 15, 2020, 12:51:00 AM
"taxspeaker" congrats on the new car! & congrats on finding an additional b'cast sheet within the car!!  :scratchchin:  that quickly becomes a non-issue

good to see this car changed hands while the former 48 year owner can enjoy the proceeds  :2thumbs:

I have now seen copies of 11 of the 40 HEMI Daytona broadcast sheets - this car has the current high of 10 extra-cost OPTIONs totaling $1,065.35
7 of the cars have OPTIONs totaling between $1,000 - $1,100 (2 are less & 2 are more) - the HEMI was $648.20

in reference to the tires - ALL 1969 HEMI cars had GOODYEAR POLYGLAS F70-15

of the 11 HEMI Daytona broadcast sheets:
7 with red "streak" VS. 4 with white "streak" Goodyear POLYGLAS tires
6 with automatics VS. 5 with 4-speeds

3 have the A36 "performance axle package" 3.55:1
it is the only one with power drum brakes
8 have consoles
it is the only one with the 6-way adjustable LH seat
2 have the LH remote mirror
7 have an AM radio
5 have power steering  :o
4 have the wood-grained SPORT steering wheel
3 with "deluxe" wheel covers VS. 8 with hub caps

Good information.  As far as the only power drum, the others all power disc?  My understanding is the hemi charger required power brakes with the hemi.  I assume the daytona would be the same.  So disc not chosen.  A good thing considering how hard it was to get 67-69 B body rotors. 

ACUDANUT

6bblgt

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on November 15, 2020, 10:03:10 AM
Good information.  As far as the only power drum, the others all power disc?  My understanding is the hemi charger required power brakes with the hemi.  I assume the daytona would be the same.  So disc not chosen.  A good thing considering how hard it was to get 67-69 B body rotors. 

not true - no additional mandatory OPTIONS on a B-body in 1969 when checking the HEMI

for the 11 broadcast sheets:
3 with manual drum brakes - STANDARD
1 with power drum brakes - B51 OPTIONAL $42.95
7 are 4.10 DANA60 package cars OPTIONAL which included power disc brakes B41/B51 -  4 with A34 "Super Track Pak" (4-speed) $256.45  & 3 with A32 "Super Performance Axle Package" (automatic) $242.15

hemi68charger

Hey Bob..

trying to get as much intel as I can..... Are your tailpipes welded to the resonators as well? Want to make sure the connection between the tailpipe and resonator was always welded and not clamped.. Phils white Daytona is welded. Want to make sure I do the proper way on my Hemi C500...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                      15 November 2020

This first part is for information purposes.

Our Tor-Red 68 Hemi Road Runner w/Black Interior, has the optional "Improved" interior, AM radio, Blackout hood treatment (removed it), Auto trans, 8 3/4" 3:23 Posi, Drums and that's it, No PS or PB. Bought new from dealer stock.

69 Bright Red, white interior Super Bee 6-pack Auto Tran, Radio delete (didn't want a hole in the right fender),4:10 Dana w/posi, Drums, No PS or PB. This was a special order for us.

Both of the above are 2dr cpe's not HT's.

Both cars came with F70 X 15 Red line Goodyear Poly's. Rims on the RR matched the body color (Tor-red) and came with dog-dish caps. The SB's rims were black, no caps, just chrome nuts.

Both cars exhausts were identical, same tips, resonators and mufflers. The Tips were NOT welded but clamped. We believe the same for the Daytona's tips, not welded but clamped; as for the rest of the CD's exhaust you will have to ask Bob.

EDIT Update 15 Nov 20 1736 MST:

Went out to the garage. Have one exhaust system remaining from the SB. The pipes were welded as best that I can tell and remember. When we started working on the RR for racing, the complete exhaust system was trashed. Stupid move on my part. We have the SB's complete exhaust system and the best I can tell is it was all welded except for the exhaust tips, which slipped into the pipe and were clamped. The tip was the hanger for the tail pipe. If I remember correctly, the tips slipped into the resonator.

What was our Daytona is now Bob's, she's safe, in her new home, with her new loving parent Bob. Thank You for adopting her.

Our garage now seems strange without her; when we go in we expect to see her, her tall tail, wing and .... her Coyote! ... They are gone, .... a jolt of reality. We know she's gone, but for over 41 years she was always there. We'll get over it because we know we did the right thing for her and those that care for her, her siblings and all the Mopar's folks are so passionate about.  

We now have a bit more room in the garage. Plans are to take her former garage mates out, clean them up, turn the SB around so both face out, ready for the car hauler that will take them, the Mustang, CV and our small trailer to Phoenix. This should happen within the next few weeks; we're hoping we'll all be home for Christmas.

Wishing You All a Happy Thanksgiving, a Very Blessed, Happy Christmas and a Very Healthy and Happy New Year. God Bless You All and Thank You!!!

Best Always,

Dena and Christine, the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

taxspeaker

Troy

There are 2 things missing on this car: exhaust pipes (except chrome tips) and shocks-having been replaced years ago, sorry.
Bob

426HemiChick

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 06, 2019, 07:46:24 PM
Well I'd be asking for that old Broadcast sheet sooner than later.. .old Govier ain't gonna live for ever, especially if some folks catch up to him...  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Hi birdsandbees,                        16 November 2020

I happened to be parsing/reading through our thread when I happened to remember seeing the above post you made and thought it would be appropriate to put a copy here. Just hope Mr. Govier sees it. Bob's finding his Build / Broadcast Sheet has to be the All Time Comeuppance for that Greedy Thief and Extortionist GG. It couldn't have happened to a more deserving AH.

Thanks again for that post, just glad I remembered it.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

gtx6970

Over axle pipes were always welded to the resonator. regardless of application / body style / engine choice

PS, and said axle pipe is welded to the can of the resonator. so there is no section of pipe protuding from the  can of the resonator

ACUDANUT

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 16, 2020, 11:12:44 PM
That's one starving Mule.

Hi Acudanut,                16 November 2020

That photo of the mule was taken in Portugal on our return trip from Fatima on the way back to Lisbon. Look closely at the road; there is glass everywhere. We had just rolled and totaled a Triumph Herald. We walked away with a few scratches. That photo is highly cropped; when I find the original I'll post it.

I doubt the mule or rider are still on earth. The photo was taken in 1966, 54 years ago, the year I turned 26.

Take care young lady.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

Edit 17 Nov 20, 0024 MST: Seems I can't subtract very well. Changed 64 years to 54 and added the year.

PS:

As promised, here's the full photo:

Top Down, car didn't have seat belts or brakes, speeding and last but most importantly "Not feeling any Pain." We each had a couple bottles of grape juice for lunch just prior to the accident. Have to say, that was an ugly car, before and after.

My friend Hank, who was with me, passed away in 2007,  RIP Henry.

The full story of this accident and many other adventures of the crews of the ships we were on, are on the site dedicated to those Ships and their Crews.

Click on the Globe below our avatar then look around. My name then was Chet Headley. I sailed on the USNS Michelson T-AGS 23 (5.5 years) and USNS Bowditch T-AGS 21 (1 year).

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on November 14, 2020, 10:17:05 AM
Bob, thank you again for allowing me to come down and crawl all over the car. I would love to come back another time and get even more pics. Some of my shots didn't quite turn out the way I wanted them to. And as I told Ernie yesterday, I didn't take a picture of the entire car. Ooops. I did get 588 pics so far, and I did get 43 minutes of video that I have snagged a few screen shots from as well.

Few minor details that I didn't get pics of and would love to be able to come back again and get those.

Personal opinion, the car is original paint. As far as the pinch welds go, and such, there was very little evidence of any black down there. I will dig through my pics an see where those pics are. It didn't appear near as well applied as was on the Malcoms car.

Geno, I had to chuckle because Bob called me out for taking 50 pics of the jack. And for taking 50-60 pics of the Charger sail emblems and drip troughs.

Its very hard to get pics of the date codes on all the parts I like tracking when they are all on the car. But I think I managed to get the dates from horn relay, wiper motor, voltage regulator, seat belts, and more.

I freely admit I am a nerd for numbers. Geno can attest to this, as well as Ernie, MoparJohn, and now Bob.

Only 50??  You're slipping.    :icon_smile_big:

As for being a nerd for numbers, you're the only one I know who can recite the VIN of (nearly?) every Daytona or C500 you've seen in person -- and many you haven't seen but know about.  I'm a numbers nerd too, I just can't recall them from memory... I'm lucky to remember my wife's birthday (and even that's written down somewhere just to be safe).

[/hijack]

I'm looking forward to seeing Bob's new treasure trove of details in person one of these days.   :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

427 hemichick,  why did you go to Fatima ? :scratchchin: :shruggy:
Will you adopt me and give me the Hemi Cuda. LOL
You know I am a acuda nut.

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 19, 2020, 07:22:23 PM
427 hemichick,  why did you go to Fatima ? :scratchchin: :shruggy:
Will you adopt me and give me the Hemi Cuda. LOL
You know I am a acuda nut.

Hi Acudanut,                     19 November 2020

I, like many folks was raised in the Catholic faith, went to Catholic school grades 1-9. Hated every second I spent there. Grade 9 was a Waterloo experience. Purposely became persona non grata, meaning I wasn't invited back for grade 10. "Halleluiah," the most successful school year moment in my life.

Registered in our local public high school, was going there a couple months when my mom must have had an unintentional moment of sobriety, and mentioned she noticed my friend Tom and I weren't going to school together. I told her: "We go to different schools." "What do you mean?" she said. I responded: "Tom goes to St. Mary's, I go to Falls High." "Oh no you don't!" she said. I shot back with "Oh yes I do. I was kicked out of St. Mary's and no other Catholic high school in  the Akron Ohio area will have me." This was pure BS; she bought it and the subject evaporated.

Eight years later (1963) I was in the US Navy with a four year active duty commitment. Boarded my first sea duty command July 1964 in Bayonne NJ. I was assigned to the USNS Michelson T-AGS 23 reporting to Oceanographic Detachment 3 embarked aboard the Michelson. If anyone is interested in what we did, click on the "Globe" below our Avatar. Our project was super secret, we were generally transferred to US Army bases for further transfer to our ships. We had civilian clothes, had our meals in a dining room, ordered them from a menu and were attended to by waiters. It was the best sea duty a sailor could have.

Why did I go to Fatima? Because Fatima is in Portugal, we made several port calls in Lisbon which is in Portugal, and having been raised Catholic, as was Hank, we wanted to see the famous shrine. You can read the full story and see all the photos of our trip there and back and many other adventures and places we visited. If you would like to learn more about what we did and our personal adventures, visit our ships Web Site.

I couldn't adopt you because my SO/Girlfriend wouldn't approve and neither would I. That doesn't mean we wouldn't like you as a friend, because we would. We also have three Pooches who love attention and when anyone comes to visit, they give all their attention to the visitors.

Think you might have missed the part where we mentioned we sold the Hemi Cuda 4 SPd in 1975. It was a cool car but was miserable to drive on a trip. I had a couple mishaps with it, my girlfriend at the time smashed the passenger side backing out of the parking spot next to it. After we sold it, a friend stopped by one day and told me he saw our old Cuda. Asked him where he saw it, he said: "In a wrecking yard rolled up in a ball." Just glad we weren't in it. So, we are unable to fulfill your dream, though we do wish we could.

Of all the cars we have had, amongst them a 68 Hemi Road Runner, 69 440 Six-Pack Super Bee, 69 Hemi Daytona, and a 70 Hemi Cuda; of those and all the other cars we have had, the Hemi Daytona is by far the best car we have ever owned. She now belongs to Bob, aka Taxspeaker. He is by far the best owner we found for our Daytona. We wanted her to have the best Home and parent possible. She now has them in spades; Bob's Happy, His Daytona is Happy and so are we.

Thank you Ms. Cuda, take care, stay safe and healthy.

Best Always,

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: held1823 on November 15, 2020, 08:52:10 AM

can we not make a train wreck out of this thread by dragging other vin's into it?

Looks like the train is coming!  Not my place to say whether it's welcomed or not but it sure seems like the previous owners feel the need to add a lot of irrelevant information that most of us don't need to read to this thread that has nothing to do with the Hemi Daytona  :Twocents:

held1823

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on November 20, 2020, 09:46:54 AM

Looks like the train is coming!  Not my place to say whether it's welcomed or not but it sure seems like the previous owners feel the need to add a lot of irrelevant information that most of us don't need to read to this thread that has nothing to do with the Hemi Daytona  :Twocents:

quite the difference between a completely different car versus anything coming from the owner of this one for practically its entire existence.
you mention relevance - there are several threads on specific cars here that contain information that has nothing to do with the car.
Gene's car for one example. Each of Mopar John's resto threads for two more.
my own car is another example, one where i welcome any and all comments from Christine, who is part of the car's history going forward.
There are at least a half dozen others here on the aero forum alone. no telling how many are on the charger forum.
The life story of each car mentioned includes the experiences of the family owning it. Anything else would read like a sale ad.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Looks like the train is coming!  Not my place to say whether it's welcomed or not but it sure seems like the previous owners feel the need to add a lot of irrelevant information that most of us don't need to read to this thread that has nothing to do with the Hemi Daytona  :Twocents:

Hi Y1CHARGER,                   20 November 20

"Not my place to say ...." so why'd you say it? Go back and re-read what you wrote; your two cents is Nonsense.

We have 48 years invested in Bob's Daytona; what do you have?

Thanks for your heartfelt comments; we so appreciate them.  Take care Y1.

Best Always,

Christine, #2 of the 426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Bob,                      20 November 2020

The photos arrived this AM. Thank You for them and for adopting what was our Hemi Daytona. She's in the best of hands; she has a beautiful new home, lots of company and a very caring Parent. We know you will care for her like she deserves.

The H2O pump should be there today, should have been there yesterday.

Thanks Again Bob.

Best Always,

taxspeaker

Request made for picture of original voltage regulator. Sorry for my delay-working extra hours right now
Bob

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: 426HemiChick on November 20, 2020, 12:59:18 PM

Hi Y1CHARGER,                   20 November 20

"Not my place to say ...." so why'd you say it? Go back and re-read what you wrote; your two cents is Nonsense.

We have 48 years invested in Bob's Daytona; what do you have?

Thanks for your heartfelt comments; we so appreciate them.  Take care Y1.

Best Always,

Christine, #2 of the 426 Hemi Chicks
What was meant is that your post of your high school experiences and other meaningless rants was welcomed by the OP and other members or not, I guess you couldn't comprehend the sentence, what happens when you get kicked out of school, so keep on posting meaningless posts that the majority seems to wants to hear, I'd rather not and just move on, HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all :icon_smile_big:

426HemiChick

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on November 22, 2020, 05:10:53 PM

What was meant is that your post of your high school experiences and other meaningless rants was welcomed by the OP and other members or not, I guess you couldn't comprehend the sentence, what happens when you get kicked out of school, so keep on posting meaningless posts that the majority seems to wants to hear, I'd rather not and just move on, HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all :icon_smile_big:

Hi Y1,                      22 November 2020

Appreciate your comments. To clarify, when I got kicked out of school, I went to my local high school, unbeknownst to my alcoholic parents.

Hope you, your family and loved ones have a Blessed Christmas and New Year. God Bless You All.

Best Always,

Christine, #2 and least important member of the 426 Hemi Chicks

hemi-hampton

Happy New Year & Christmas to you 426Hemichick & everybody else. :cheers:  And Thanksgiving.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 22, 2020, 08:30:30 PM
Happy New Year & Christmas to you 426Hemichick & everybody else. :cheers:  And Thanksgiving.

Thank You Hemi-Hampton,                    22 November 2020

Wishing Bob, You, all the members and guests that frequent this site a Wonderful Thanksgiving, a Blessed Christmas and a Joyous, Healthy, Happy and Safe New Year.

May the Good Lord Bless You All, Your Families and Loved Ones.

Best Always,

held1823

Quote from: talkiemopar on November 22, 2020, 06:00:29 PM
Just do not READ THEM  :nana: :nana: :spank:

you'd think something so simple to do would be easy, wouldn't you?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053