News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new chapter in the life of an unrestored Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, November 09, 2020, 08:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabeckredneck

What an amazingly cool and ongoing story! Thanks for sharing all the details.  I think it would make for a great movie... I'd buy the DVD!  :popcrn:

maxwellwedge

I agree with Geno.
My '69 Hemi X survivor doesn't have one - and it's a 4:10
Same for my '69 RR.
And I've never seen one on any good, original cars.

taxspeaker

Engine block flushed and putting freeze plugs in today. Sunny and 40 degrees-a great day to lay in the gushing rust water. The reward was lighting up its Hemi Superbird brother and getting the first picture side by side in the sun.

As always, 2 steps forward means 3 steps back. The transmission has been delayed at A&A transmissions because shop came down with Covid so 6 more weeks on it. That will give me time to fix the bad pitman arm I found when putting the wheels on, the radio and work more slowly on the exhaust, so starting the engine will still be delayed a bit longer I guess.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Davtona

Quote from: hemigeno on January 20, 2021, 10:52:20 PM
I've yet to see a p/s cooler on an unrestored '69 Hemicar - all of which would have had the Federal pump; nor have I seen one in a vintage photograph of the same, either.  On top of that, the 1969 factory engineering graphics do not show a cooler.
:Twocents:
Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 21, 2021, 07:46:20 AM
I agree with Geno.
My '69 Hemi X survivor doesn't have one - and it's a 4:10
Same for my '69 RR.
And I've never seen one on any good, original cars.

X3   :2thumbs:

Thanks Geno, Yes 69 B Body was what I was referring to. Was not trying to speak for all years and models.

Taxspeaker thanks for posting pic of the vacuum fitting. Verifies what I thought it should look like. Different hex length from the reproductions also. Looks like its orientated front to back. I was thinking it would be side to side. Interesting.  :scratchchin:

426HemiChick

Hi Bob,                       21 January 2021

Good news, the green gizmo, and a few other trinkets will be arriving Sunday 24 January 2021. There's an additional item, or I should be more exact, four items, all the same. I think you'll figure it out as soon as you remove them from the Zip-Lock bag they are in.

As usual, the box is cemented so careful opening it. There's a large cardboard item in there. It's two thick pieces taped together. Between them is an envelope containing the Daytona's Original EPA sticker and the last registration card for the 70 Hemi Cuda we sold in 1975.

If you could locate the engine, you may find your original 2 Carter AFB's. Here's the VIN for the Cuda, maybe someone knows where it resides:    B S 2 3 R 0 B 1 7 2 7 6 5    (added spaces to make it easier to read).

As soon as we find the PCV and its housing, they'll be on their way.

She sure looks good sitting there with her brother. We'd love to hear them sitting there with engines running. There's nothing that can hold a candle to a Hemi. Looking forward to seeing you, all the folks and my most favorite ride in the world.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

taxspeaker

Wish I had a bunch of good news here, but pretty much no news. First, I did get the green plastic manifold vacuum fitting (thanks Christine for finding it and sending it along with the unexpected surprise) and related hoses installed, and I pulled the radio and tested and repaired it in house and reinstalled it as a working unit again. Second, Mark at Magnum re-installed the butterfly valve in the old exhaust manifold and it is ready to go back on next week. Then, I got the original chrome exhaust tips back from the chrome plater and they are ready to go on as are all the other parts-I just can't do anything because of 2 component repair shops.

Everything else is on hold-I had to pull the radiator out and send it back because it still leaked and I haven't heard a word from them since then-3 weeks ago. The transmission is now pushing 4 months and it is still not back and also no phone calls. Both of these vendors are supposed to be the best according to everyone but  the lack of phone calls and follow through is disappointing. Starting the car by the end of February is no longer possible because of this. Now I am hoping to get it started by mid-April. Enough of the complaining though, time for some good news.

The good news. The car has been accepted into the survivor tent at Carlisle, PA at the Chrysler Nationals in July. They have requested that I wash the car, so I guess the dust will come off, but no electric buffers or anything, just a gentle hand wash. I have never been to Carlisle or Columbus, so this year will be a great trip for me and my wife, staying at the Fairfield Inn Thurs-Sun. If you go please stop and look at the car-there are plenty of old fat bald guys so you can pass by me, but not unrestored Hemi Daytona's. I think I am taking the psychedelic Hemi Superbird too.

Maybe I can post a mechanical progress report in 2 weeks-I keep hoping for a radiator or transmission so we can keep moving forward.
Bob

taxspeaker

Side picture from the night we got back with the car in Indiana just to keep things going

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

held1823

damn it, Bob, you just gave me a reason to go back to Carlisle.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Hope to see you again at Carlisle.. I think I really need to make my bucket-list happen.. There have been a rash of mopar-work related friends pass away recently and I DO NOT want any regrets in missing Carlisle......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Quote from: taxspeaker on February 24, 2021, 10:12:33 PM
Wish I had a bunch of good news here, but pretty much no news. First, I did get the green plastic manifold vacuum fitting (thanks Christine for finding it and sending it along with the unexpected surprise) and related hoses installed,

Maybe I can post a mechanical progress report in 2 weeks-I keep hoping for a radiator or transmission so we can keep moving forward.
Bob

Here is the green vacuum can on my survivor. I believe it is only a 4-speed thing. There is orange paint on the bracket, by the bolts to the intake - as this was installed (and mostly masked/shielded) when the engine was painted.

taxspeaker

Thanks Maxwell and thanks for the pic-1st good one I have seen. John Kunkel over on Moparts says:
The green valve was also used on the '68 Hemi, both standard and automatic.

It has three nipples, one goes to manifold vacuum, one to the rear carb timed port and the other to the distributor. In normal operation the valve lets the vacuum advance work as usual but under the high vacuum of deceleration it routes full manifold vacuum to the distributor. Full advance during deceleration helps clean up emissions.

Several others also say used for automatics and the paint on the mounting pad matches to the millimeter the paint lines on the intake for the automatic. So, I think it was on automatic ones as well, at least for 69.

Bob

hemi68charger

Quote from: taxspeaker on February 25, 2021, 03:48:25 PM
...So, I think it was on automatic ones as well, at least for 69.

Bob

It was.. Our friend Phil's Hemi Daytona, which is a 727 car, has it...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Thanks Maxwell and thanks for the pic-1st good one I have seen. John Kunkel over on Moparts says:

It has three nipples, one goes to manifold vacuum, one to the rear carb timed port and the other to the distributor. In normal operation the valve lets the vacuum advance work as usual but under the high vacuum of deceleration it routes full manifold vacuum to the distributor. Full advance during deceleration helps clean up emissions.

Several others also say used for automatics and the paint on the mounting pad matches to the millimeter the paint lines on the intake for the automatic. So, I think it was on automatic ones as well, at least for 69.

Bob

Hi Bob,                  25 February 2021

Glad to see you are back; hope you and your family are all well, rested and tanned.

Our 68 Hemi Auto Tran RR has / had the Green Gizmo. It was one of the first things we removed from the RR back in 68. Still have it.

We have seen numerous photos of MOPAR Hemi's over the years. All those we have seen have black Plug Wires. We bought our RR new from Westside Chrysler Plymouth, Dealer Stock, in Akron Ohio April 1968. It had Red Silicone wires on it the first time we saw it, which was the day we bought her. The RR had only been on the lot a couple days. Still have them.

The ones that were on your Hemi Daytona were the racing versions, SS wire, thicker silicone and red.

We still haven't found the PCV and its housing. The main reason is we have been packing 42 years of accumulated stuff, auto parts, tools, and things that should never have been bought, hindsight being 20/20.

Haven't really made a dent in the garage. Been boxing the stuff in the house and loading it into a Cool Box 20 foot container. Getting the impression it won't hold everything. If the PCV and housing are here, we will find them and send them to you.

One last item. I believe our 69 440-Six Pack SB AT also had a green gizmo. If we find one more then that will be an affirmative.

Hope all your family, employees and friends are safe and healthy. Please take care.

Best Always,

Dena and Christine, 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

maxwellwedge

Bob

Happy to help. I didn't want to paint myself into a corner - which is why I said "I believe it was on 4-speeds" - Lol. Don't go by my valve covers on breather cap and PCV locations. This is an Air Grabber equipped car. These were reversed on the Dodge Chrome Dome air cleaner equipped Hemi's.

Just an FYI. The green can was also used on some slant 6's. The ones you usually see for sale have the part number for slant 6. The mounting bracket is different than the Hemi one. Scott at Harms Auto sells the Hemi bracket. Never used on any 440-6.

taxspeaker

TOMORROW IS STARTING DAY!

On March 3 we got the radiator back and reinstalled it with Zerex antifreeze and Water Wetter. I had it boiled and checked for leaks and repaired, but did not repaint it or any cosmetics-sticking with the original plan. There are no leaks now and we hooked up the transmission lines as well. While we were at it I replaced the old broken Pitman arm-I was able to find an NOS one.

On March 6 Dave Wise came and inspected the car from top to bottom to verify originality. No issues other than non-original reproduction hoses and belts. The 50 year old Goodyear red stripe tires blew him away (I have the car just touching the floor from the lift). He did advise me not to wash the car. I also re-installed the rebuilt alternator and power steering pumps-again I had the internals rebuilt but did not change the external appearance or shiny them up or anything, but you don't mess with electronics, brakes or cooling for safety. This car won't be driven much but it needs to be safe while also unrestored.

On March 8 we reinstalled the A&A rebuilt transmission and the original driveshaft. Like everything else we did nothing to the external case and they were able to avoid dipping it or anything. The inside of the transmission had a number of issues so I am glad we did since it is also original to the car. I reinstalled the original linkage, neutral start switch, wiring harness, speedometer and torque converter at this time too. We then reinstalled the 50 year old passenger exhaust manifold with the new butterfly valve and hooked up 1 of the original carburetor heat tubes with a new gasket.

On March 9 (today) we reinstalled the choke tubes and they were every bit a pain in the rear as everyone describes-more time here than on the transmission! We then jacked up the driver side of the engine and re-installed the 50 year old driver exhaust manifold. I then installed the starter and did a check on all items, front to back, for torque, tightening, leaks, proximity to exhaust, proper routing etc. Finally I reinstalled the power steering hose (original-just needed O-ring) and the battery tray and original hold down with wingnuts and grabbed a Mopar reproduction battery out of the Alaska Highway Superbird. We adjusted a couple of things like the oil dipstick (which had not been in the car for 50 years), the transmission fill tube O-Ring which I had forgotten to replace, and the transmission linkage. Every single thing Christine told me about the car was correct and again I thank you Christine.

By now my son and buddies had gone home for the day with the promise I would not try to start it until they setup a bunch of cameras tomorrow. My old, fat self agreed it was time to limp home, and I left the shop 30 minutes ago. When I say "we" in any of these discussions I  mean me, my buddies Mike and Matt (who both were at the 50th reunion with me) and my son Ryan-this is a true family/friend deal and everyone helps. Tomorrow, right after lunch we are going to put 5 gallons of racing fuel in the tank, pour a bit in the carburetor, cross our fingers, turn on the cameras and see if it starts. I did "blip" the starter before I left just to make sure electrical and other things were ok. I also rechecked the functionality of the radio, wipers, fan, etc and unhooked the battery for the night. If it does start, and I fully believe it will, I will then install the exhaust and it will be ready for the nose to go back on for the first time in 46 years. I have asked Ryan if we could live stream the starting attempt at 1PM eastern time and he will make it happen. My email is taxspeaker@gmail.com and if you want to watch email me and I will get you the YouTube or whatever log in information he needs to send. Better yet, just email him directly at RyanJ@taxspeaker.com

Dave Kanofsky

Good luck!  Fingers crossed for you!  You are smart not to rush it, take your time and do it right.  :cheers:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

426HemiChick

Hi Bob,                 10 March 2021

Wishing you and everyone involved a great day and a Successful: "First Start Of Your Hemi Daytona Engine Day."

We're sure you have thought of this but incase someone else reading this thread is thinking of doing a "First Start", please have more than one large Co2 Fire Extinguisher handy. Do not use a dry chemical extinguisher on an engine unless it's the last resort available. Also have the Air Cleaner on with the filter, Dome and wing nuts tightened.

Looking forward to watching the video and hearing that wonderful Hemi sound from our most favorite car in all the world.

Thanks For Adopting Her And Doing All That You Have Done For Her And Will Do In The Future.

God Bless You All.

Best Always,

Dena and Christine

taxspeaker

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ph23vo

dumping way too much gas in it guys!..just a little goes a long ways..

taxspeaker

Did not start is the bad news and we shut off. Good news is timing niw adjusted and car is running and running well. Need to adjust timing some more. Video link will post in an hour or so starting and running!

ph23vo

taxspeaker

Link to first start

https://taxondemand.s3.amazonaws.com/2021/First+start.mp4

Second link is moving under its own power-1 of the steel transmission lines had a chafing hole we did not know about-easy fix tomorrow
https://taxondemand.s3.amazonaws.com/2021/MovingUnderItsOwnPower.mp4