News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new chapter in the life of an unrestored Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, November 09, 2020, 08:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                    30 March 2021

We now have a new thread on "Car Guys Discussion" for the RR and SB. We'll drop by here to look and enjoy the adventures of Bob and his Daytona. We'll only post here when it has something to do with the subject matter of this thread.

A sample photo is attached, it and the rest are on the new thread.

Come over and visit us when you feel like it and feel free to comment all you want.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

tan top

Quote from: taxspeaker on March 30, 2021, 12:57:00 PM
Nose going on Friday 4/2/21 for first time in over 40 years. Car is running fine-we pulled it out, drove it around the lot and let it idle in the sun for 30 minutes yesterday-steady 180 degrees, steady 40 PSI oil, no leaks. Picture from last night with all systems go.

Taking to Mobile Fest at Battleships April 24.
Quote from: 426HemiChick on March 30, 2021, 09:59:33 PM
Hi Folks,                    30 March 2021

We now have a new thread on "Car Guys Discussion" for the RR and SB. We'll drop by here to look and enjoy the adventures of Bob and his Daytona. We'll only post here when it has something to do with the subject matter of this thread.

A sample photo is attached, it and the rest are on the new thread.

Come over and visit us when you feel like it and feel free to comment all you want.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

great stuff !  :yesnod: :cheers: :popcrn:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

taxspeaker

What can you say but thanks.

Thanks to Mark Sekula and his dad, of Magnum Restoration in LaSalle Illinois, and my buddies Matt Johnson and Mike Arms for their work on Friday April 2, 2021.

The unrestored Hemi Daytona is complete, the nose is on, the car is running and is ready to go to a few shows. It will be driven a bit around Southern Indiana on sunny days and maybe visit a car show or two within 100 miles.

The response, the offers of help, and the follow-throughs with action restore our faith that there is an incredible number of good people out there, many of whom share our passion for these unique long-nosed, quirky, aerodynamic precursors to today's France-Orwellian mandated NASCAR race-boxes of Toyota parts in the same box.

In these days where everyone seems to claim to be a victim it is great to see people that actually do something. Over 50 years ago I learned that there are complainers and there are doers. The doers got this car together, and this group of Dodge Charger supporters, were as much a psychological and mechanical support as they were a physical support. Thanks everyone, and especially Christine for allowing me to be the current caretaker.

See you at some shows or drop by Southern Indiana to Wing Car Eccentrics Anonymous to see them, or shoot the bull. Feel free to make suggestions, and if you know of someone with actual 1969 brake hoses (3), heater hoses or radiator hoses please send them my way.

Here are 3 pictures for you. As soon as the weather clears I will take it back out for some outside shots.
Bob J

426HemiChick

Hi Bob,                    02 April 2021

Congratulations!!! She looks magnificent, like we remember her from 49 Years ago.

Here is a link Dena thought you would be interested in. It may contain an explanation of why the radio was only playing Spanish language stations and the solution for this unique problem:

https://www.tinaja.com/glib/marciaw.pdf

I don't know if I mentioned it, not long after we bought the car we noticed the headlights wouldn't stay down very long after the engine was shut down. Bought a new vacuum reservoir from my friend at our local Dodge Dealer, installed it, voila, it worked. Yes, in 1972 they still had new factory parts for Daytona's.

I think you know me well enough to know, "I don't throw stuff away," which tells me the original factory Orange Juice Can (Which is what they used) is around here somewhere. If'n and when we find it, it will be on it's way home.

Thank you Bob and all your loyal friends that have helped bring her back to life so that future generations can see what a real marvel she was and still is. To our thinking, she and her sisters are the most beautiful automobiles to ever grace the highways of the United States and the world. We had numerous offers to buy her; we wanted someone that would take care of her and bring her back to life. It is difficult to express in words how happy we are that you are her new parent.

May God Bless You, Your Family and All the Folks That Have Helped in Her Resurrection. We had her for a long time, we hope you have her for an even longer one.

Best Always,

Dena and Christine

PS:

We almost forgot:

"We want to wish one and all a very Blessed and Happy Easter."

Dena and Christine - 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

hemi-hampton

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

billssuperbird

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

taxspeaker

Loading now in the snow for Moparfest at the Battleships this weekend.

Hemi Daytona starts & runs great but is one cold-natured car. I guess  34 degrees and snow it is acceptable.

Hemi SUperbird all loaded and ready. Also starts and runs great. Also cold-natured as heck.

The 43 year barn find green bird is coming down from more snow in Chicago with Mark Seklua.

Saturday at Mobile Battleship Park.

Birdflu

Lookin' good Bob! Wish we were closer...we'd be there! Have fun!  :2thumbs:

426HemiChick

Hi Bob,                     23 April 2021

Good luck and safe travels. Looking forward to photos and your report on this event. Your cars are looking great. We are sure you have the Star of the show. God Bless You All.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

tan top

:coolgleamA:  part 2    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYXC3Nu9cvs
good video Bob  :2thumbs:  looking forward to watching next videos & installments  :popcrn:
:cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

taxspeaker

Thanks Steve.

We have recorded several others (3 more I think) on this Daytona, and I expect my son (camera & voice over) will be posting another within the week. I make a mistake or two on each one, I'm sure (like my hood comment in the 1st one), but overall I am trying to provide a visual record of what these cars were like as built. He just took a drone video of it being driven-I am curious what it will look like too-he doesn't allow me to see any in advance!

I think once he is done with this one he wants to do the purple Hemi Superbird-there is some eye-opening information possibly coming on it in a couple of weeks-I am awaiting some final clarification first.

My favorite picture from Alabama is actually not of the Daytona, but of a new form of battlefield armament delivery.

Appreciate the comments.

aerolith

Wingcars in 'plastic' aeriated tents, does it get any better!

Someone has got their 'Mopar Heaven' here on Earth and 'good luck' to you too! :2thumbs:
If certain 'forward thinking' folks 'had NOT seen the light' in the awful 1970's, there would be nowt to put in tents now... :scratchchin:

I'm still amazed with all that has gone on in the last 50 years, we still have Wingcars to BEHOLD.

Greta and her crowd are 'coming on strong' so we must enjoy ourselves with what little time the GREENIES give us... :slap:

I personally would love to build an 'electric' Dayclonea (Knightona) , and get with with greenies, but funds won't allow it... :'( :'( :'(

ps, I'm already 'down' with the 'green thing', all my Mopars are 'green' and I never drive them, or even start them up any more... :nana:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

426HemiChick

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 02, 2021, 09:03:35 PM
My favorite picture from Alabama is actually not of the Daytona, but of a new form of battlefield armament delivery.

Hi Bob,                  05 May 2021

Once a Marine, Always a Marine. Nice "Battlefield Armament" toy you have there; where can we get one? It would look great mounted on top of our house.

Thanks for your service Bob.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

ACUDANUT

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 02, 2021, 09:03:35 PM
Thanks Steve.

We have recorded several others (3 more I think) on this Daytona, and I expect my son (camera & voice over) will be posting another within the week. I make a mistake or two on each one, I'm sure (like my hood comment in the 1st one), but overall I am trying to provide a visual record of what these cars were like as built. He just took a drone video of it being driven-I am curious what it will look like too-he doesn't allow me to see any in advance!

I think once he is done with this one he wants to do the purple Hemi Superbird-there is some eye-opening information possibly coming on it in a couple of weeks-I am awaiting some final clarification first.

Appreciate the comments.

All that work for a static display ?

taxspeaker

Static? Let's see my recent solo driving trips in wing cars:
70 White Superbird driven roundtrip to Alaska then round trip to Key West from Indiana after winning best wingcar at Mopar Nats

69 Yellow Daytona driven round trip to Moparfest in Mobile, AL from Indiana

70 Green Superbird driven to multiple, different Indiana/Kentucky car shows none of which closer than 50 miles one way

70 Hemi Superbird, open headers and slicks driven 20 miles round trip to Indiana car show, driven round trip from hotel to 50th anniv. on the street with slicks and open headers

69 Hemi Daytona-already driven round trip 50 miles to Indiana car show-probably the only person on the planet willing to drive a Hemi Daytona with 50 year old tires on the street, with another show trip scheduled to drive to Friday after work.

Static? Read any of my long term threads and you will see how ridiculous that comment is. Few people drive these cars and that is certainly their right, which I understand. But I would never disparage their decision, particularly if I didn't even own one.

A very few of us choose to enjoy the cars, drive them, share them with fans and expose them to the elements, thieves, vandals, morons and poor drivers. I am a member of the latter group and am particularly pissed off by comments like "trailer queens" and "static" from ignorant folks without all of the facts. An average of 750 miles daily for 15 straight days in the original front seat of a 45 year old Nascar Superbird with no radio, a/c, cruise and ecm & fuel issues from Indiana to Alaska tends to make one touchy about comments like this.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Stevetona

Your YouTube videos are excellent. Enjoyed them!

Birdflu

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 03, 2021, 06:31:57 PM
70 White Superbird driven roundtrip to Alaska then round trip to Key West from Indiana after winning best wingcar at Mopar Nats

70 Green Superbird driven to multiple, different Indiana/Kentucky car shows none of which closer than 50 miles one way

70 Hemi Superbird, open headers and slicks driven 20 miles round trip to Indiana car show, driven round trip from hotel to 50th anniv. on the street with slicks and open headers

69 Hemi Daytona-already driven round trip 50 miles to Indiana car show-probably the only person on the planet willing to drive a Hemi Daytona with 50 year old tires on the street, with another show trip scheduled to drive to Friday after work.

Static? Read any of my long term threads and you will see how ridiculous that comment is. Few people drive these cars and that is certainly their right, which I understand. But I would never disparage their decision, particularly if I didn't even own one.

A very few of us choose to enjoy the cars, drive them, share them with fans and expose them to the elements, thieves, vandals, morons and poor drivers. I am a member of the latter group and am particularly pissed off by comments like "trailer queens" and "static" from ignorant folks without all of the facts. An average of 750 miles daily for 15 straight days in the original front seat of a 45 year old Nascar Superbird with no radio, a/c, cruise and ecm & fuel issues from Indiana to Alaska tends to make one touchy about comments like this.

Hey Bob! Couldn't agree with you more! Giving acudanut the benefit of the doubt, was he referring to your gunship display? Possibly thinking that the gun was really mounted on the truck?  :shruggy:

Ricomondo

Quote from: Birdflu on May 04, 2021, 08:16:17 AM
Quote from: taxspeaker on May 03, 2021, 06:31:57 PM

Hey Bob! Couldn't agree with you more! Giving acudanut the benefit of the doubt, was he referring to your gunship display? Possibly thinking that the gun was really mounted on the truck?  :shruggy:

That's how I took it? That he was referring to the military armament? :shruggy: As the term "static display" is generally used in regards to out of service tanks, etc. See below from the U.S. ARMY

https://www.tacom.army.mil/ilsc/donations/displays#:~:text=The%20Static%20Display%20Program%20is%20conducted%20by%20the,Code%20%C2%A72572%20as%20implemented%20by%20Army%20Regulation%20700-131.
1970 Mr. Norm's Challenger T/A

birdsandbees

Based on history, I doubt the tank was what he was referring to...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Beep Beep Dave

I have to say I have enjoyed reading about this Daytona, its everyone's dream to find a Hemi Daytona but it is obvious that his one has found a great home.

Most of all I really appreciate everyone sharing the process so we could all follow along from home.

The Youtube videos are well done to....its like going over to a friends place to shoot the breeze.

Thanks,
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

tan top

Charger Stuff 

taxspeaker

Thanks Steve. All i do is yap and sometimes i get stuff right, my boys do the videos.
Appreciate the comments guys.