News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new chapter in the life of an unrestored Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, November 09, 2020, 08:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goh2

To Bob, Christine and anyone else that had a hand in keeping this car original over the past forty or so years; I enjoyed the heck out of seeing it at Carlisle this past weekend! 

taxspeaker

It was a pleasure to bring it out and talk to everyone. I have never been to Carlisle and was overwhelmed by the experience. Thanks for the comments and thanks to Christine for making it possible.

Bob

Aero426

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 13, 2021, 03:03:09 PM
It was a pleasure to bring it out and talk to everyone. I have never been to Carlisle and was overwhelmed by the experience. Thanks for the comments and thanks to Christine for making it possible.

Bob

It's great to see that the car has landed in the hands of a real enthusiast and not a bargaining chip for a "day trader".

taxspeaker

426HemiChick

Quote from: Aero426 on July 14, 2021, 10:00:43 AM

It's great to see that the car has landed in the hands of a real enthusiast and not a bargaining chip for a "day trader".

Hi Aero426,              14 July 2021

You are 100% correct. We talked with a goodly number of potential buyers. Money was not our primary goal, the right new parent was. Bob was and is the ideal new parent for his Hemi Daytona and we are grateful for that.

We wanted a reasonable return and we feel we got it. What was it? Guessing is more fun than knowing. Just so everyone knows, Dena, my Partner, was the one who made the decision who would be our Daytona's new parent, and I owe Her for Her wise decision.

Thank you Bob, she looks great and happy. You are the ideal parent for her.

God Bless.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

tan top

nother awesome Video Bob !!!  thanks  for sharing your collection  :2thumbs: :cheers:

looking forward to the next one   :cheers::popcrn: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrIWRooNYfM
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

taxspeaker

Hey Steve-thanks!! And thanks for always posting all the pictures from current and back in the day-I don't know how you find them, but they are great to look at.

69_500

Bob, now that baseball season has finally come to an end, I gotta make the trip back down your way again to see the car. I would say "cars" but lets be honest, we all know which ones I wanna look at. lol.

taxspeaker

First driving road trip.
Yesterday the daytona was driven gently 28 miles to a local car show honoring veterans that i try to attend when in town. The 50 year old tires never went over 45 mph each way. I will drive it to local shows up to about 30 miles.

It drove fine. It starts easily but pops and sputters still on acceleration. I believe i fixed that today-a vacuum issue i think.

Dan, or anyone in metro louisville area is always welcome to stop in- i travel a lot for work so check with me 1st.

69hemidaytona

As original as that car is I'm guessing it has its original H wheels. I'm curious what the date code is on them.

taxspeaker

Hmm-I thought I had pictures when dealing with the tires, but I don't see them. Can I get the date code without dismounting the tires-the car is on a lift and it is easy to grab the pictures and codes, happy to do it if that works.
Bob

69_500

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 11, 2021, 09:41:13 AM
Hmm-I thought I had pictures when dealing with the tires, but I don't see them. Can I get the date code without dismounting the tires-the car is on a lift and it is easy to grab the pictures and codes, happy to do it if that works.
Bob

69_500

Sorry bob, the only pic I got of your rims with dates. Sorry its not clearer. I will do better next time.

69hemidaytona

Quote from: 69_500 on September 11, 2021, 10:29:48 AM
Sorry bob, the only pic I got of your rims with dates. Sorry its not clearer. I will do better next time.
Are those wheels the ones from the Hemi Daytona? It looks like January 21st 1969. I assume there's a large H in between two of the holes for the studs.

69_500

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on September 11, 2021, 01:04:18 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on September 11, 2021, 10:29:48 AM
Are those wheels the ones from the Hemi Daytona? It looks like January 21st 1969. I assume there's a large H in between two of the holes for the studs.

yes that's the rims from the Daytona. and yes a LARGE H stamped between stud holes. I may have a pic of that around here too.

taxspeaker

I will be at shop Thursday afternoon and might be able to get pictures.

hemi68charger

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 12, 2021, 09:19:31 AM
I will be at shop Thursday afternoon and might be able to get pictures.

Hey Bob.. Can you see if there is any evidence of the power steering gear box being painted black.. Or was natural..   Trying to figure out what to do with my gear box.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Hi Hemi68,               15 September 2021

About 30 years ago we went to a car show that had a Vette on display that had been restored. The posted details indicated that all the components that are normally left natural had been plated with a substance that didn't rust and left the metal looking natural. Wish we could remember what the plating material was. It has to be out there somewhere.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

hemi68charger

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 15, 2021, 10:31:01 AM
Hi Hemi68,               15 September 2021

About 30 years ago we went to a car show that had a Vette on display that had been restored. The posted details indicated that all the components that are normally left natural had been plated with a substance that didn't rust and left the metal looking natural. Wish we could remember what the plating material was. It has to be out there somewhere.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

After discussing this at length with Frank Badalson and Dave Wise, the verdict is they were all painted black. It was that the painting process sucked and the paint eventually, even on low mileage cars, just flaked away...... 
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 15, 2021, 03:29:28 PM
After discussing this at length with Frank Badalson and Dave Wise, the verdict is they were all painted black. It was that the painting process sucked and the paint eventually, even on low mileage cars, just flaked away......  

Hi Again Hemi68,             15 September 2021

We have two extremely low mileage B bodies, 68 RR and 69 SB. The SB has the least miles, 2681 to be exact. We do not remember a time that car was ever rained on or was driven on wet roads. Since the cars are now in Phoenix and we are still here in Texas, we can't inspect them to verify Frank's comment. We'll stick our neck out and say the running gear was bare metal but can't prove it at this time.

Hopefully, we'll be home in a couple weeks, we'll put the SB on the lift and photograph its under belly. That might produce a clue as to what happened back in the "Olden Days."

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

WINGMAN

I dug mine out and there is black paint still on the top rear.  :yesnod:  (Wingman)   Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

KurtfromLaQuinta

I just read the article about this car in the latest issue of Mopar Collectors Guide.
As always, per their normal articles... they went into great detail on the history of this car.
Great story behind it.

ACUDANUT

But did the tires still have 69 air in them  :scratchchin: This is getting crazy. Original gas, filters ,oil and plugs ?? Enough is Enough.

odcics2

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 20, 2021, 05:42:26 PM
But did the tires still have 69 air in them  :scratchchin: This is getting crazy. Original gas, filters ,oil and plugs ?? Enough is Enough.

Some folks get it, some folks don't.   :shruggy:

To each their own....     :yesnod:

:cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 20, 2021, 05:42:26 PM

Hello Cuda Dear,                02 October 2021

No one puts old air in their tires. The best thing you can fill your tires with is pure Nitrogen which has no oxygen mixed in. Over time it is healthier for your tires and is more stable than Nitrogen mixed with Oxygen (what we breathe). If you ever see a vehicle with Green valve caps, that's a good sign the tires are filled with nitrogen.

We also spray painted cars using pure Water Pumped Nitrogen vs Oil Pumped; cleaner, essentially no contaminants. We started using Nitrogen in our tires and painting cars with it back in 1968, 53 years ago. Also more expensive.

When using nitrogen you have to be careful and not allow much of it to escape into your work area. This is especially important when using Nitrogen for painting. When using Nitrogen for painting, the painter needs to be breathing fresh air from an outside source. Before you try this, be sure you have someone knowledgeable help and advise you.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Take Care Dear.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks