News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight Motor Help - 70 Charger

Started by JMF, November 27, 2020, 11:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Recently picked up a 70 Charger 383 and just going through some jobs that need doing.

Previous owner gave me the recently refurbished headlight motor but just connected it to test and nothing happening , probably something I'm missing , there 2 wires with connectors loose near the grille, is there a guide somewhere as to how to fit one of these ? Also where to mount it etc ?

Thanks for any help

70 sublime

I think it needs to be bolted on to get a ground
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

If you do not already have a factory service manual, consider buying one.  It can be a very good resource and it sounds from the posts and questions that it could be useful.  Also, if you want to search this site for information and do not know the "site:dodgcharger.com search_terms" approach to using google, it can come in handy to find things on here.  There is an online version of the factory service manual (FSM for short) but you will need to find it.  I recommend a paper copy.  I just looked at mine and there are descriptions in the body and frame section related to the headlight motors.  I gave up on my motor.  It never really worked well (broke in the 1970's and broke shortly after being replaced last time).  Instead, I just clip my headlight doors up or down manually when I need them.

Enjoy your car and please keep asking.  I am not writing this to discourage asking, just to give some information that might be helpful.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

71charger_fan

The double wire to the motor is two hot leads. One will be hot when the key is on and the lights off. That's the feed to the "close" terminal. The other lead will be hot when you turn the lights on. Which lead is hot is controlled by the relay. I would take a test light and verify that the open/close leads are hot when they're supposed to be hot. I can't remember if the motor grounds through the case or if there's a ground terminal. Either way, as said before, make sure it's grounded then bench test it.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

b5blue

Testing not installed will bust plastic gears. (Per FSM)