News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Swap to Woodgrain Wheel

Started by Gregory, December 23, 2020, 06:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory

Sorry if this question has been asked before but i did search and couldn't find the answer.

My question is, my '69 came with the standard wheel with horn ring that goes all the way around. I want to change to the wood grain wheel. Do i need any other adapter besides what comes in the kit?

Bronzedodge

Welcome to the forum.  Help us out a little - what kit?  Factory steering wheels don't need any adapters.  You mean an aftermarket wheel?  Pictures help.
Mopar forever!

Gregory

Yeah, I should have been more clear. The kit I'm talking about is aftermarket from from classic industries MW927. It is a replacement for factory wheel option. It has the wheel, horn button adapter, horn cap pad, horn button adapter.

My steering column is stock and I intend to rebuild it stock.

Will the kit come with every thing to change from standard Charger wheel to the wood grain. Trying to attach pics.

Gregory

AKcharger

Gregory...welcome!
Unfortunately I can't provide photos as In on there road right now,, but there is a little trim/filler piece that goes around base of the wheel, otherwise these a noticeable gap.

Gregory

Thank you! Awesome.. yes, that is exactly what I was wondering.. if there was another piece that went in there. Any pictures is appreciated and if you know if they are sold anywhere if if someone has an extra ..

Thanks again! :cheers:

AKcharger

You can kind of see it here. The base of the stock wheel is wider and deeper and fills in that area. Unfortunately I forgot where I got that filler part

Nacho-RT74

Eeehm... 69 and 70 are diff monsters on this due the bigger column diameter on 70 for the ign switch location. Dunno if 69 will confront same deal.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AKcharger

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 30, 2020, 04:40:07 AM
Eeehm... 69 and 70 are diff monsters on this due the bigger column diameter on 70 for the ign switch location. Dunno if 69 will confront same deal.

There's some truth to that but steering wheel is same size rallye/non-rallye

70gtx440dana

The 69 wheel does not use the plastic trim/filler piece. The 69 wheel only uses the die cast adapter. In 70 the die cast adapter is different and also uses a black plastic filler.

Here is the repop 70 adapter and filler:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Mopar-A-B-Body-Woodgrain-Steering-Wheel-Horn-Button-Adaptor/172145349550?epid=2020033061&hash=item2814a993ae:g:E98AAOSwZ8ZW8~UB

Here is the 68-69 repop adapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-69-Mopar-A-B-Body-Woodgrain-Steering-Wheel-Horn-Button-Adaptor/172145324591?epid=12031190063&hash=item2814a9322f:g:AzoAAOSwzvlW8-0Y

70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

Gregory

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up getting a restored original wheel from "Steering Wheels by Mike" .. who I highly recommend .. I'm sure he's well known on this site.. but dang is it some pretty work. It also came with everything I need for the 69 column. 

marshallfry01

Quote from: Gregory on February 03, 2021, 10:23:47 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up getting a restored original wheel from “Steering Wheels by Mike” .. who I highly recommend .. I’m sure he’s well known on this site.. but dang is it some pretty work. It also came with everything I need for the 69 column. 

Wow that wheel looks better than new.  My woodgrain wheel needs restored. Would Mike restore mine or would I have to buy a different wheel from him?
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Gregory

Thanks. You can send him your woodgrain wheel and he will restore yours. I bought one from him because my charger came with the standard wheel and I wanted to make the switch. If you have your original wood grain wheel I would for sure send it to Mike.

I put his information below... or google "steering wheels by mike"

marshallfry01

Thanks for the info! I'll give Mike a call.  :cheers:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.