News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Max wedge 6 pack

Started by c00nhunterjoe, December 29, 2020, 09:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Well, finally got it together tonight and fired it up.
https://youtu.be/B4mjTuPgVcU

70 sublime

Was it just a single 4 barrel before ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

c00nhunterjoe

Yeah, had an indy dual plane with a 950 hp holley

70 sublime

What do the 3 two barrels add up to ?

c00nhunterjoe

By 2 barrel equations its 1350, but calculated in 4 barrel equations it is 950.

timmycharger

:o  Awesome! How did you work out the plumbing, a distribution block? I bent up some -6 aluminum lines for mine...

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 29, 2020, 09:38:36 PM

Cool !
I've been Playing and doing a bunch of Flow Testing this week with a Six-Pack Intake on some Trick Flow PP270 Heads..... LOTS of Intake Port work to follow.... then headed on to a 512 Stroker we're Machining/Building ... Dyno, etc., etc.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: timmycharger on December 30, 2020, 08:02:34 AM
:o  Awesome! How did you work out the plumbing, a distribution block? I bent up some -6 aluminum lines for mine...

I have a regulator on the right fenderwell with -6 an lines to each carb.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 30, 2020, 09:19:14 AM

Cool !
I've been Playing and doing a bunch of Flow Testing this week with a Six-Pack Intake on some Trick Flow PP270 Heads..... LOTS of Intake Port work to follow.... then headed on to a 512 Stroker we're Machining/Building ... Dyno, etc., etc.

Always looking forward to your builds. I have 440-1 heads on mine.

timmycharger

Any plans to mod the carbs? I really like the quick fuel jet plates on the outboards of my carbs, makes adjusting jetting very simple.  I also played around with the springs in the outboard vacuum pods until I had them opening as smoothly as possible.  Love these setups!

c00nhunterjoe

I have found that chrysler had it right. Modifications to the carbs causes problems. Mine are unmolested with the exception of jets and springs. Nothing else. As you can hear, its crisp, and the video is of the 1st start. Fired up and idled on its own with no choke or fast idle hooked up. Hell, i havnt even figured out the throttle cable bracket yet.

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 30, 2020, 09:58:43 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on December 30, 2020, 09:19:14 AM

Cool !

Always looking forward to your builds. I have 440-1 heads on mine.

Did you have to do any welding to Port Match the "std" 6-Pack Intake to the 440-1 Max Wedge Ports ?

Our testing thus far with just a "std" Port Radius Inlet on the Max Wedge PP270's Ports didn't lose a ton of air........
but when the "std" Port 6-Pack Intake itself was bolted on the PP270's the Head tanked for Flow(sub 300 cfm), so LOTS of work to do inside that 6-Pack Intake.

c00nhunterjoe

Take a close eye, im running an indy modman opened up to max wedge with a 6 pack top. Worse part was getting the indy valley plate out without pulling a head.

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 30, 2020, 11:59:17 PM
Take a close eye, im running an indy modman opened up to max wedge with a 6 pack top. Worse part was getting the indy valley plate out without pulling a head.
love it !!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 30, 2020, 11:59:17 PM

ahhh DUH.... my apologies Joe, I'm wasn't paying attention, I see the INDY logo now.

6-Packs are definitely eye candy, great looking setup !

70 sublime

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 31, 2020, 10:03:48 AM
Bigger fuel pump ?

I have an aeromotive street pump on it now with -8 line currently. It is taxed at rpm. Have a magnafuel quuckstar 300 to install but have to upgrade the fuel cell to accept -10 line and replumb the car.

BSB67

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 30, 2020, 03:19:22 PM
I have found that chrysler had it right. Modifications to the carbs causes problems.

Exactly. 

And, slowing the outboard transition so that it is smooth from roll for most street cars will slow the car down at the track, a lot.  I have yet to see a street car not perform its best with the lightest yellow tip outboard springs.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on December 31, 2020, 11:55:00 PM
I have found that chrysler had it right. Modifications to the carbs causes problems.

Exactly. 

And, slowing the outboard transition so that it is smooth from roll for most street cars will slow the car down at the track, a lot.  I have yet to see a street car not perform its best with the lightest yellow tip outboard springs.

There is a definite difference from street mode and race mode with the outboards. The center remains untouched for both applications. My challange will be the gear and loose converter with how to set up the outboards to still be fast on the street but cruisable. Got a few more things to button up before i start testing.

Bronzedodge

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 01, 2021, 10:17:25 AM
Got a few more things to button up before i start testing.

Is that testing before or after the track opens?   :smilielol: :smilielol:
Mopar forever!

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Bronzedodge on January 01, 2021, 12:36:12 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 01, 2021, 10:17:25 AM
Got a few more things to button up before i start testing.

Is that testing before or after the track opens?   :smilielol: :smilielol:

Before, near your house as long as the salt stays off the road. Lol

BSB67

As backwards as this seems, tall gear and loose converter will require stiffer outboard springs. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Well after alot of passes today, settled with 78s in the center and 98s in the outboards and yellow springs. Center is crisp, outboards come in about half throttle and roughly 4k when rolling into it. Transition is smooth, no stumble. Car is violent. Pulls harder then it did the the indy 2d and holley hp 950 carb. Traction on slicks is an issue in 1st and 2nd. Cant wait to hit the track in the spring for an actual numbers comparison.

timmycharger

Quote from: timmycharger on December 30, 2020, 03:13:55 PM
Any plans to mod the carbs? I really like the quick fuel jet plates on the outboards of my carbs, makes adjusting jetting very simple.  I also played around with the springs in the outboard vacuum pods until I had them opening as smoothly as possible.  Love these setups!

I have found that chrysler had it right. Modifications to the carbs causes problems. Mine are unmolested with the exception of jets and springs. Nothing else. As you can hear, its crisp, and the video is of the 1st start. Fired up and idled on its own with no choke or fast idle hooked up. Hell, i havnt even figured out the throttle cable bracket yet.

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 02, 2021, 06:37:21 PM
Well after alot of passes today, settled with 78s in the center and 98s in the outboards and yellow springs. Center is crisp, outboards come in about half throttle and roughly 4k when rolling into it. Transition is smooth, no stumble. Car is violent. Pulls harder then it did the the indy 2d and holley hp 950 carb. Traction on slicks is an issue in 1st and 2nd. Cant wait to hit the track in the spring for an actual numbers comparison.

Curious, without using aftermarket jet plates in the outboards, how do you adjust jetting to 98? drilling out? 

c00nhunterjoe

I did drill the plate, yes. They do not have jets, stock plates in them.