News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing internet/cable provider from Verizon to Xfinity.. when do I cancel?

Started by timmycharger, January 12, 2021, 10:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Has anyone changed service providers recently? I had Verizon FIOS for about 15 years and finally had enough. Ended up signing up for Comcast/Xfinity who are coming this Saturday for the install.

I am hesitant to contact Verizon now to cancel as I am worried they might mess something with my current set up. I work from home remotely, I have 3 kids doing remote school at the same time, and would be madness if something were to happen.

Has anyone just left the service intact until the new provider installs their stuff?  I was thinking of calling them once I confirm the new setup works?

Any feedback is welcome!

b5blue

It's Verizon so wait at least day or two to verify new service works. Verizon can screw up anything so don't give them the chance!   

bakerhillpins

What b4blue said... leave the old service intact for a bit to prove out the switchover. I'm upgrading as soon as I can get them out to put in the fiber modem and I'll leave the existing service intact for roughly 1 month of overlap to make sure I have the kinks worked out.  I'm in the boonies and we've ALWAYS had issues with services being hooked up and the subsequent kinks because we are on networks that never get maintained...
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

timmycharger

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated. That's what I will do, I am going to cancel after I am satisfied with the new set up.  :cheers:

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ODZKing

Timmy, I am curious ... what issues did/are you having with Fios? I have had them here now for close to 15 years and really had no issues. Even TV without problem, that they haven't corrected right in a reasonable amount of time anyway.
I did change over to AT&T for my cell, only because we (used to) go to Canada a lot and Verizon was killing us with roaming. AT&T has international included for same price.
But I would like to hear what you're unhappy with.  :popcrn:

timmycharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 13, 2021, 02:06:31 PM
I'd wait until your monthly Verizon bill is due and then cancel.

Hmm, I didn't think of that  :scratchchin: I may consider that

Quote from: ODZKing on January 13, 2021, 02:13:10 PM
Timmy, I am curious ... what issues did/are you having with Fios? I have had them here now for close to 15 years and really had no issues. Even TV without problem, that they haven't corrected right in a reasonable amount of time anyway.
I did change over to AT&T for my cell, only because we (used to) go to Canada a lot and Verizon was killing us with roaming. AT&T has international included for same price.

But I would like to hear what you're unhappy with.  :popcrn:

Great question lol!

As mentioned lots of us in my house are online right now either working, schooling or streaming movies etc so I decided to upgrade my internet service as right now I have only 100 mbps service which is actually much less than that per speed test done.  Right now as it stands, I pay $185 per month for standard cable service and the internet, that is no home phone. I got a quote to increase my speed to 400 mbps before Christmas for about $215 a month which I was going to do.  I called them last week and now the quote was $287 a month for that very same service which I thought was crazy so I told them about the prior quote and still a no go.

I was already annoyed as it took me about 10 minutes to speak to a human being who sounded like they were from another country and I could barely understand what they were saying, had to have them repeat it back to me many times. I explained that I have been a customer for 15 years and would expect better service and told them it was time to switch to Xfinity and I got the Ok Mr .... I am sorry, is there anything else I can help you with today?

I then called Xfinity, got a human being within 5 minutes who actually sounded like they were from the same side of the globe and got me set up with the same channels plus premium ones I didn't have, the same amount of TV boxes except these are ALL HD DVR vs just 1 with FIOS. Also 600mbps internet speed AND a home line if needed for $191 a month. They locked it in and are coming in on Saturday.

I cant wait to call Verizon to cancel and when they try to send me to a manager or whatever, ILl let them know that that ship has sailed last week when they had their chance...

Boy that was long winded LOL

bakerhillpins

Quote from: timmycharger on January 13, 2021, 02:27:52 PM
now I have only 100 mbps service which is actually much less than that per speed test done.

Just in case you're not aware, running a net speed test must be performed when hardwired directly into the modem.  No other devices on the network, and NOT a wifi connection!  Beyond that most ISPs don't actually guarantee access to full bandwidth 24/7.. it's a maximum that is possible when the network can support it. Thus upgrading to 400 isn't necessarily going to change that for you during peak loads. Typically when everyone is home after work, though these days that's probably not peak.

Quote from: timmycharger on January 13, 2021, 02:27:52 PM
As mentioned lots of us in my house are online right now either working, schooling or streaming movies etc

I'm currently "surviving" on 3/0.75 Mbit connection (that's 3Mb down, 0.75Mb up) with up to 5 individuals in the house. 1 working full time, 1 at 2 days a week, 3 college kids (classes/gaming/SM). It's possible but there are days where we effectively draw straws on who gets to do what. Now that the holiday season is over the kids are slowly filtering back to campus and the wife and I do just about everything with that connection but it's still basically crap.  The Fiber connection should give us 25Mb symmetric (up/down) for I believe $90/mo.  

Be glad you can simply call someone and switch. We were stuck with Satellite and dial-up (had both/both sucked) until DSL was turned on in late 2013 which is only marginally better. Broadband/Fiber only got installed in town because members of the community made a private investment. The "phone companies" were let off the hook to support rural communities thanks to being classified as an "information service" by the FCC (really a particular party) so we get screwed because the profit margins are too low.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

timmycharger

Great information, thank you! I will have to give that speed test a try again as noted below for curiosity.  :2thumbs:

ODZKing

Interesting. I will agree, trying to get hold of them is almost impossible. The last few times I have gone with the chat so that eliminates the issue of not understanding them.
I have been luck here as I always ask where they are. Some are not far away in Buffalo and I have had a couple in Texas.
Yeah, they were just outstanding at first but now they have pretty much gotten like all the rest of the cable providers. They got you and they know it.
The only other option here is Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) and they are awful. I'd be curious to see how you make out and if it is better.