News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lower Control Arm and Strut issues

Started by ChargerRT69, March 28, 2021, 12:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRT69

I am assembling my '69 Charger front end on a stand and having an issue with my driver's side lower control arm pulling off the shaft as I tighten up the strut. What could be causing this?

I have taken it apart, checked it out and reassembled with about the same effect. It is as if the strut arm is almost too long once I put the bushings in place. I tried it without the strut bushings once and the LCA slide all the way onto the shaft.

Here are some pictures

Kern Dog

With no torsion bar in place and under tension, the urethane bushing may allow the control arm to slip back. Those ARE urethane, right?

Nacho-RT74

That's the problem with poly bushings. It needs to be accomplished with poly strut rod bushings too. I made the mistake of use rubber bushing on strut rod with poly LCA bushing and the driver side LCA slided back enough ( just like that on pic ) to compress the strut rod bushing enough to allmost break it.

Still with T bar mounted and tensioned. It happened on the use, not during installation.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ChargerRT69

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 28, 2021, 12:13:29 AM
With no torsion bar in place and under tension, the urethane bushing may allow the control arm to slip back. Those ARE urethane, right?

The pivot shafts are Hotchkis Sport suspension set (greasable) with polyurethane bushings.

I was concerned that once everything is bolted into the car and I go to install the T bars I would have more difficulties since it keeps sliding rearward. I know the strut will keep it on, but wondered if there was something wrong that would cause this to occur.

Thanks

ChargerRT69

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 28, 2021, 03:03:18 AM
That's the problem with poly bushings. It needs to be accomplished with poly strut rod bushings too. I made the mistake of use rubber bushing on strut rod with poly LCA bushing and the driver side LCA slided back enough ( just like that on pic ) to compress the strut rod bushing enough to allmost break it.

Still with T bar mounted and tensioned. It happened on the use, not during installation.

I will have to look.... I think that the strut bushings are rubber and not poly. Wow, thank is what is causing this to occur?

b5blue

Factory LCA bushings are press fit. (They can't move if proper.)  :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: b5blue on March 29, 2021, 06:46:06 AM
Factory LCA bushings are press fit. (They can't move if proper.)  :scratchchin:

once rubber is broken from the metallic bushing ( inner or outer ) they could be moved. Of course that will be the first step to the failure process
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

ChargerRT69

So been doing some more thinking on the old original struts. They do not look bent, but could there be something wrong with them? After years of being used, would I better off replacing them? In what ways can the struts go bad? What can I check?

If I should replace them, do I bite the bullet and look at adjustable struts? One thing leads to another, but I have also been thinking about the original sway bar and torsion bars.... should they be replaced? I do not plan on making this an autocross type of car, mostly street, but occasional spirited driving. Maybe I will start another thread to ask some of those questions for the best setup.

Nacho-RT74

strut rods just need to be replaced if bent or threads gone.

need to say that our cars are not a piece of precision on how they are built or welded... maybe K member is not symmetrical and one of the sides of the K member arms is welded shorter or at diff angle. With stock bushing that will be hard to notice because it will absorv that, but being poly where the LCA pivot shaft is free!!! who knows.

6 or 7 months ago a buddy from FBBO found his 74 K member shock/UCA tower incorrectly welded onto the K member crade. Had to cut the weld seam and relocate it! 45 YEARS LATER!!! it was 3/4" off compared with the other side

( also the sway bar link provision )

b5blue

Quote from: ChargerRT69 on March 29, 2021, 09:26:39 AM
So been doing some more thinking on the old original struts. They do not look bent, but could there be something wrong with them? After years of being used, would I better off replacing them? In what ways can the struts go bad? What can I check?

If I should replace them, do I bite the bullet and look at adjustable struts? One thing leads to another, but I have also been thinking about the original sway bar and torsion bars.... should they be replaced? I do not plan on making this an autocross type of car, mostly street, but occasional spirited driving. Maybe I will start another thread to ask some of those questions for the best setup.

Rolled on a flat surface you'll see a wobble if bent. I replaced mine with solid mount adjustable just to eliminate flex.   

ChargerRT69

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 29, 2021, 09:35:55 AM
strut rods just need to be replaced if bent or threads gone.

need to say that our cars are not a piece of precision on how they are built or welded... maybe K member is not symmetrical and one of the sides of the K member arms is welded shorter or at diff angle. With stock bushing that will be hard to notice because it will absorv that, but being poly where the LCA pivot shaft is free!!! who knows.

6 or 7 months ago a buddy from FBBO found his 74 K member shock/UCA tower incorrectly welded onto the K member crade. Had to cut the weld seam and relocate it! 45 YEARS LATER!!! it was 3/4" off compared with the other side

( also the sway bar link provision )

Thanks I appreciate real life feedback!

ChargerRT69

Quote from: b5blue on March 30, 2021, 09:16:40 AM
Rolled on a flat surface you'll see a wobble if bent. I replaced mine with solid mount adjustable just to eliminate flex.   

Thanks! What make is your solid mount adjustable strut?

b5blue

469 runner

This is one place where I will not use anything except the rubber bushing.  The rubber bushing is a press fit into the lower control arm and onto the pivot shaft.  It acts to retain the control arm to the crossmember, but also acts as a small torsion spring.  Urethane is not the way to go here.

ChargerRT69

I am continuing on with this thread in hopes someone could help shed some light.

I started this thread with issues of the LCA. As I got deeper into this and suggestions from various people on this forum and others, I realized that I needed to do some more work. I ended up getting some reinforcement plates for my LCA, some adjustable strut rods from Firm Feel along with several other suspension improvements. As I was putting the LCA's back on the k-frame with the adjustable strut rods when I noticed a difference in the bumper mounting plate (see pics). It made me wonder if one of these are from a different car model.

Which one is the correct one for a 1969 Charger R/T model?

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Kern Dog

You should remove and toss those rotor shields. They trap heat. They came on new cars as a guard against mud and rocks getting on the rotors. You're not going to drive this car on muddy roads, are you?

jlatessa

Yes, you  certainly won't see a weld bead like that second plate from the factory, at least I haven't.

LOL... Joe

birdsandbees

Quote from: jlatessa on November 09, 2021, 07:57:47 PM
Yes, you  certainly won't see a weld bead like that second plate from the factory, at least I haven't.

LOL... Joe
Actually the 2nd bead welded plate is probably from a 1970, but they would have had to add the '69 style sway bar tab.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ChargerRT69

Thank you for all the feedback, I'll have to take a closer look to see if the sway bar bracket was added after the fact.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this form and I appreciate all the help!