News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Cracks

Started by Armycopter, March 30, 2021, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armycopter

Anyone know of a DIY way to fill these cracks in my steering wheel and make it look good? The steering wheel is nearly perfect except these two cracks and I could just leave it this way but I'm worried the small piece could fall off at some point. Thank you.
1969 Charger

Bronzedodge

Epoxy, paint and patience.  Not in that order.

I'm curious as to what the pros do for the stainless rings inside and out, myself.
Mopar forever!

Armycopter

Quote from: Bronzedodge on March 31, 2021, 07:29:53 PM
Epoxy, paint and patience.  Not in that order.

I'm curious as to what the pros do for the stainless rings inside and out, myself.

Thanks. Am I correct in assuming these aren't made of real wood? I was originally thinking of wood filler.
1969 Charger

69rtse4spd

Question, in the above picture, would a steering wheel cover help to prevent cracking in the winter months, in an unheated barn. I could take it off and put it in the house but it has never been off the R.R. since day one and is not cracked. Thanks in advance for the helpful info.     

Nacho-RT74

I guess it could be some tutorial on YouTube?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

blakemon

Mine has some hairline cracks only.

robnorrington

This is what i did....First I filled most of the hole with Unibond epoxy putty. I packed it tight around the metal inner frame. I left approx 1-2mm from being fully filled. Once dry I filled the rest with a medium brown wood filler. This took a few goes, filling and sanding to get it right, trying not to scratch the chrome trim. This wood filler I used has a little flex in. My wife, who is a make up artist, mixed the wood filler and Mixol Universal Tints, to create a near perfect colour match. She used yellow, green, dark brown and white.....not the colours I would have thought of using but that's why I don't do her job  :icon_smile_big: Once it was all hard and dry, I gave the steering wheel 3 coats of lacquer. I sprayed over the chrome trim to give some extra protection.
I am pretty pleased with the results. It is 99% perfect and so much better than before.