News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Shock Problem - Height on 71 Charger

Started by jesterCT, April 13, 2021, 03:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesterCT

Hello All.

I have a problem. I just installed the suspension with the KYB KG4510 Gas-a-Just Gas Shock I had around for years. I bought them brand new and never used them since now.
Installation went very smooth, no problems.

Now the car is way too low, there is a little bit more than 1.5in space between the garage floor and the K-member. Please see the picture and note that the wheels are lifted on a dolly. So it looks more.
The tires are 15in.

What did I do wrong? Are the shocks installed wrong? old shocks who cant hold the weight anymore?
It looks and feels like that the shocks are fully in, no movement, all tight.

If you need more information or pics, please ask.

Please help.
Thanks a lot.

birdsandbees

Shocks don't hold a car up, the torsion bars do...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

armor64

it looks like you need to crank up the torsion bars (bolt in the bottom of the lower control arms) to raise the car up.

if its lower now then the old shocks, were the old ones too long or longer, and the car was sitting on them fully collapsed?

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

jesterCT

Thanks guys for your input.

I double-checked and somehow the torsion bars are not even installed.  :brickwall: :brickwall:
So I didn't install them a while back. Don't even know why. Had it on the lift for a while, then the wheels came in and I put the car down.

Thanks again, problem solved.  :laugh: