News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl top replacement on a 1968

Started by whitehatspecial, May 05, 2021, 07:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitehatspecial

I'm really between a rock and a hard place trying to replace my vinyl top. I've watched videos and this is beyond my skill levels. I have found a local shop where I feel comfortable that they will do a great job installing the vinyl, but they do not want to remove the front and rear glass (original). We're trying to locate a local competent glass guy to travel to his shop (central CT.) to remove the glass in one piece, but no luck so far.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

70 sublime

Has the front and back glass ever been out of the car since new ?
If original front gasket you will need to buy a new gasket because the old one will be so hard it will need to be cut out to get the glass out

Back window you will need a new roll of seal to replace it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

whitehatspecial

Yes. I believe the glass was out in the mid 80's when I had the car painted. They needed to do some sheet metal work around the rear window, bottom corners. The car has been garaged do the windshield rubber is still in very good shape on the exterior.
Cars owned:

ht4spd307

cant it be done without removing the glass and just remove the moldings

whitehatspecial

I am told that the only way to do it correctly is to remove the glass as the vinyl actually tucks into the channel. The Legendary video on a 1970 Charger also shows the windows out.
Cars owned:

Nacho-RT74

Hthere is no way to make it correctly with windows in place.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

HANDM

I did mine with just the rear window out, granted I fucked it up at the sail panels (not enough glue and it bubbled and lifted).
Around the windshield and all along the top it looks perfect and is holding up just fine 11 years later. So yes I would say it can be done with the windshield in and I was even able to replace the rusted clips