News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Belts? dual pulley alternator?

Started by euroZ06, August 03, 2021, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

So about 6 months ago, my drive belt let go, so I replaced it with another one... however, the one I put on is very tight, I can barely get it on... But that's whatever, the problem i have is that when i turn on the AC, I get the belt burning smell inside the cabin.

Secondly, i only have one pulley on my alternator, but its my understanding i should have two pulleys and two belts. So, is it easier to replace the alternator and put two pulley alternator, or is it possible to replace just the pulleys? If so, which pulley would i need (size/link)? is it a difficult job?

What size belts do i need?

68 charger/383.
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

Nacho-RT74

theorically, alts with dual pulleys are assembled for more output. HOWEVER, some lates alts with single pulley could get more output than older dual pulleys.

about the pulley itself, yes you can fit a dual pulley alt into a single pulley alt. Phisically all alts are "the same" and just change the pulley on this case will be enough

there are 2 or 3 pulley diameters ( on both, single and dual pulleys ), the smaller diameter you get more output you will get at less speed ( i.e. Iddle, which is the bigger problem on our alts ). I don't remember the diff diameters available thought.

tooling required, an extractor and a press ( I althought I have even used a hammer LOL ). Bench press is quite enough, doesn't need to be hidraulic, as far your open enough.

The alternator need to be opened in halfs to be able to install the pulley. The pressure needs to be applied to the rotor shaft.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

euroZ06

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 06, 2021, 05:08:50 AM
theorically, alts with dual pulleys are assembled for more output. HOWEVER, some lates alts with single pulley could get more output than older dual pulleys.

about the pulley itself, yes you can fit a dual pulley alt into a single pulley alt. Phisically all alts are "the same" and just change the pulley on this case will be enough

there are 2 or 3 pulley diameters ( on both, single and dual pulleys ), the smaller diameter you get more output you will get at less speed ( i.e. Iddle, which is the bigger problem on our alts ). I don't remember the diff diameters available thought.

tooling required, an extractor and a press ( I althought I have even used a hammer LOL ). Bench press is quite enough, doesn't need to be hidraulic, as far your open enough.

The alternator need to be opened in halfs to be able to install the pulley. The pressure needs to be applied to the rotor shaft.

thank you for a detailed response. Any recommendation on belt sizes?

green69rt

Are you sure it'd the alt belt?  you can  do a water spray test to verify.  Start the engine and spray water on one belt, Noise an burning will stop when you spray the problem belt.

Nacho-RT74

Can't talk about the belt size. I simply run to the Parts manual and check for that, so is not on my memory anymore.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

euroZ06

Quote from: green69rt on August 12, 2021, 06:05:08 PM
Are you sure it'd the alt belt?  you can  do a water spray test to verify.  Start the engine and spray water on one belt, Noise an burning will stop when you spray the problem belt.

well, the burning smell comes when i turn AC on, and the only belt on the AC is the new belt that i put on... which is on very tight, i can barely get it on with alternator all the way loose.

green69rt

Quote from: euroZ06 on August 13, 2021, 10:53:04 AM
Quote from: green69rt on August 12, 2021, 06:05:08 PM

well, the burning smell comes when i turn AC on, and the only belt on the AC is the new belt that i put on... which is on very tight, i can barely get it on with alternator all the way loose.

If it's that tight, you couldl end up wearing out the bearings on the alt or whatever else is using that belt.

cdr

with ac it needs 2 belts, so yes you need a double pulley alternator
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on August 14, 2021, 11:39:09 PM

If you go with a double belt system, you will need matching belts.  Belts with the same part number are not necessarily the same length.  Get the aame part number and manufacturing batch.  You can also get one or two extra belts and use the two that are closest to the same length and return the others..

cdr

Quote from: green69rt on August 15, 2021, 05:50:50 PM
Quote from: cdr on August 14, 2021, 11:39:09 PM

If you go with a double belt system, you will need matching belts.  Bets with the same part number are not necessarily the same length.  Get the aame part number and manufacturing batch.  You can also get one or two extra belts and use the two that are closest to the same length and return the others..

Good point Mitch, they used to sell matched pairs
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

euroZ06

is there a standard size for the belt?

green69rt

I ended up with Gates XL7612 belts.   I bought them locally at O'Reilly's so They were easy to return.  It took me a couple of try's to get something I liked.  

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/xl/gates-xl-v-belt/gata/7612?q=xl+7612&pos=0