News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

horn

Started by bearsfan34, August 06, 2021, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearsfan34

I installed an aftermarket horn on my 68 charger. When I blew it, it wouldn't stop and eventually burned out. I put a new one in and now it don't work at all. The wire is hot going into the relay but I have no light coming on when I put the tester on the wire under the steering wheel? I think it is the relay but not sure if I should be getting a light when I test that wire under the wheel. The new horn works I already tested it. All the wires in the column look good and it is a new harness. I was told there is a fuse for it but in my fuse box, I see nothing that says horn. Any suggestions as to what is wrong. Thanks in advance

70 sublime

The horn wire in the steering column is just a ground wire
If there is nothing drawing power on the other end you will not get any light in your test light
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Nacho-RT74

The horn trigger is as mentioned a ground signal coming from horn switch on column ( black wire )

Then the relay gets a constant positive ( violet wire ) from fuse box since 70, but straight from alt stud on earliers which is the power source, and the positive output ( green wire with red traces ) once relay is triggered from horn switch.

Horn gets the relay signal ( positive ) and is chassis grounded.

I hope this will clarify where amd how to test to find the problem.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bearsfan34

Thank you guys for answering, much appreciated. haven't had a chance since to work on it, too busy.

OzCharger69

Are you using an airhorn or Dixie horn?

The stock wiring won't hold the amp draw. I had to use a relay and power from battery directly, it's impressive how many amps those mini compressors pull.