News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High torque mini starter

Started by comet_666, November 08, 2021, 09:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

I'm looking to replace my 20+ year old mini starter next season, what is out there now that's good? This is for my 10.75:1 compression 520?
I know powermaster, msd and proform have some decent stuff out there, just wondering what anyone would recommend? I am not sure what mini starter i have in there now but it's over 25 years old and has trouble turning it over after car has been running.
I have TTI 3 inch exhaust and OBX Headers Primary Tube  1.8 " OD

thanks all!

TTSaleen

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

b5blue

6.7Cummins

D and B off ebay here too. On for over 2 years no issues.
1968 Charger R/T 440/727

comet_666

Calif240

I think I read (on here) that you can use the starter from a 90s Dodge Dakota. I believe it is both a high-torque starter, and fits the bell housing and mounts properly. Would need someone who's actually done it to confirm, but might be work digging if looking for other options.

Thanks,
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

NHCharger

Quote from: Calif240 on February 12, 2022, 07:04:15 PM
I think I read (on here) that you can use the starter from a 90s Dodge Dakota. I believe it is both a high-torque starter, and fits the bell housing and mounts properly. Would need someone who's actually done it to confirm, but might be work digging if looking for other options.

Thanks,
Terry

Yes. I have one on my 68 Charger with a 440A.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

armor64

i also did the dakota mini starter for my 440, i was able to use the stock style battery cable as well, the molded part on the starter side i just had to pie cut part of itin the middle, , so it would flex slightly and bolted right back up to the little dude. with Factory HP manifolds there is a tonne of space, so when i eventually probably go headers, wont have to touch it.

metallicareload99

Quote from: Calif240 on February 12, 2022, 07:04:15 PM

Thanks,
Terry

Yeah, I've been using a starter from 1990 Dodge whatever with a V8 for years now. No problems :drive:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

timmycharger

Same here. Been running it for 6 years w/o issue on my 440 with a 4 speed/ 2 inch TTI headers and also using a Lakewood Bellhousing.  :Twocents:

tichar

TTSaleen thanks, it is an officially licensed high torque starter, so I will try it as well  :2thumbs:
Industrial torque limiters

TTSaleen

Quote from: tichar on March 15, 2022, 02:50:43 AM
TTSaleen thanks, it is an officially licensed high torque starter, so I will try it as well  :2thumbs:

Just saw this.
If you haven't purchase one yet, let me know.
I have mine just sitting around since I pulled my 318 out during my G3 Hemi swap.
I'll sell you mine and ship it cheaper than the online price.
It's gently used (less than 300 miles on it) and in great shape.

Ryan
1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8