News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

headlight upgrade

Started by misty440, November 16, 2021, 07:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misty440

Hey guys,
Looking to upgrade my stock halogen headlights, what have you guys used? I was looking at some H4 bulbs? I dont want to go LED. My lights are so dim that I avoid driving at night. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Chris
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

HPP

I'd start with a relay system upgrade to provide more consistent voltage to the lights before getting new lights.

Kern Dog

I did both. I added relays AND the Hella H1 and H4 headlights. The bulbs in the lenses are 55/60, the lowest wattage and still much brighter than the stock lights. I may step up to the 80/100.

misty440

Thanks, do you have two types of bulbs? H1 and H4? I think that I saved that thread about the relay upgrade so I will check that out also and try that first but really want bright lights as my eyesight is not what it used to be and at night its worse! Did you get the Hella light conversion from Summit Racing?

Thanks again
Chris

66FBCharger

I have been looking for the headlight relay upgrade thread and have been unable to find it. Perhaps my wording is not correct when I search for it.
Can someone share the link if they have it saved, please?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

XH29N0G

I learned from someone else hear to type into google "site:dodgecharger.com relay" and it gave this one (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.40.html) and some others.

I do not know enough to know if this is what you are looking for, but searching with site:dodgecharger.com can help you find the stuff here.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

70 sublime

I did the relay up grade on my car for this summer
Made a big difference almost twice as bright as what it was before with the same lights still in the car
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

66FBCharger

Quote from: XH29N0G on November 17, 2021, 08:04:42 PM
I learned from someone else hear to type into google "site:dodgecharger.com relay" and it gave this one (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.40.html) and some others.

I do not know enough to know if this is what you are looking for, but searching with site:dodgecharger.com can help you find the stuff here.

That's what i was looking for. Thanks and thanks for the tip to use Google to search the site.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

Kern Dog

My headlights came from Summit Racing. The H1 are high beam only and the H4s are the high and low.
For relays, I bought a plug and play harness from a guy that is on FABO. FBBO and Moparts under the name "CrackedBack". Mine was $180.

66FBCharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 18, 2021, 07:08:20 PM
My headlights came from Summit Racing. The H1 are high beam only and the H4s are the high and low.
For relays, I bought a plug and play harness from a guy that is on FABO. FBBO and Moparts under the name "CrackedBack". Mine was $180.
I'll have to look into this plug and play harness. Sounds like it is the way to go.
Thanks for the tip!

OzCharger69

What kern Dog said. Harness + relays + H1 and H4s. I got clear lens high beams with 100w bulbs. There's more light than I could ever hope for.

ht4spd307

i purchased some new ones same as factory lights but semi sealed  so i can put just about any globe which suit h4 if i remember correctly and still looks all original same wiring etc

Nacho-RT74

I simply used halogen versions of same sealed beams. No moisture getting into the screen.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

JimShine

Quote from: XH29N0G on November 17, 2021, 08:04:42 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.40.html

I did this modification to four Charger's. It made a huge improvement and the switches no longer warm up.

ALBSURE1091

I just picked up a LED conversion kit from headlight experts. I know you said you didn't want LED but this kit is real easy. Just plug in like an old school headlight. Was $180 for a set of low beams. World of difference and they don't draw much power at all.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on July 23, 2022, 02:37:01 PM
I just picked up a LED conversion kit from headlight experts. I know you said you didn't want LED but this kit is real easy. Just plug in like an old school headlight. Was $180 for a set of low beams. World of difference and they don't draw much power at all.

Can you post some pictures of them lit up at night?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ALBSURE1091

best I can do is in my garage. Hope it helps.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on July 25, 2022, 01:27:23 PM
best I can do is in my garage. Hope it helps.

Very nice thank you.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

That's what I've been waiting for, an LED conversion. In 27 years I don't think I've used my high beams an hour.  :scratchchin:

ALBSURE1091

Quote from: b5blue on July 26, 2022, 11:13:48 AM
That's what I've been waiting for, an LED conversion. In 27 years I don't think I've used my high beams an hour.  :scratchchin:

I have to say these lights were super simple to install. Just like putting an old school headlight in. Just need to make sure the harness behind LED light is clear of the flip up doors. Very simple. Little expensive but they just plug right into the factory headlight harness. I don't drive much at night but when I did I always said as I was driving I should upgrade my old school lights cause they really are bad compared to today's vehicles. Was like having 2 flashlights! These light up very nicely

b5blue

Mopar Nut

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on July 28, 2022, 01:30:35 PM

I have to say these lights were super simple to install. Just like putting an old school headlight in. Just need to make sure the harness behind LED light is clear of the flip up doors. Very simple. Little expensive but they just plug right into the factory headlight harness. I don't drive much at night but when I did I always said as I was driving I should upgrade my old school lights cause they really are bad compared to today's vehicles. Was like having 2 flashlights! These light up very nicely

I found the website, do you have an part number?

ALBSURE1091

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 29, 2022, 01:32:39 AM

quote]
I just put in 69 Charger and it came up. The Part# on my invoice was h5006ledlow

Mopar Nut

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on July 29, 2022, 01:45:51 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 29, 2022, 01:32:39 AM
That's what I've been waiting for, an LED conversion. In 27 years I don't think I've used my high beams an hour.  :scratchchin:

I just put in 69 Charger and it came up. The Part# on my invoice was h5006ledlow

Thank you.

misty440

Finally getting to this upgrade! I am now confused with sealed beam and halogen lights? Are the sealed beams also Halogen? I was looking at a upgrade kit thru Jegs that comes with H4 bulbs, I just read that Halogens are going obsolete in 2023? I dont care for the LED headlight look so can someone explain? If the sealed beam is also a halogen then why would I install another halogen H4 bulb? Are the bulbs brighter than the sealed beams? Car is running great, going to shows further away which means coming back home after dark and want to get better lights, thanks for the help
Chris