News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock 340 magnum power/performance upgrades advice

Started by RobVoyles, January 02, 2022, 11:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobVoyles

Hi, new to the forum, thanks for having me. Just wanted to reach out to you guys and get some advice on the best bang for your buck on increasing performance a bit.
My engine is the stock 340 that came in it completely rebuilt with 11,000 miles on it. The only thing not original to my understanding is the compression ratio which i am told is now 10:5:1 with "j" heads.Don't know if that head ref is stock or makes any difference just mentioned it for a little more info. The trans is the stock 3 speed auto and the rear end i believe is the stock 3.23 ratio it runs about 3000 to 3200 rpm at about 65 mph and has an Edelbrock 4 bbl carb. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
RobV

Nacho-RT74

10.5 CR? High compression pistons ? are you sure about it ? If you do... you can get a huge variety of cams based on that CR to increase power... then header, intake. If the MP chrome ECU box still works like a champ, you don't need anything else to increase power on ignition, EXCEPT if you want spend big dollars on the full EFI system. But on the basic ign system, I don't think an MSD ignition system ( which many ppl could say ) will be a huge gain

And welcome!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70 sublime

Go from a 323 to a 355 rear gear would give it a little more zip ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Challenger340

Very surprising to hear that you are not already quite satisfied with the power given the alleged engine details ?
Because IMO...
Even a stock 10.5:1 340 with J Heads and anything even remotely close to the stock 340 "P" camshaft were fairly decent performers when setup correctly ?

"stock 340 that came in it completely rebuilt with 11,000 miles on it. The only thing not original to my understanding is the compression ratio which i am told is now 10:5:1 with "j" heads."

Do you have any Invoices ? .... Documentation ? .... or anything else that verifies "340" and exactly what part numbers are present and were used in the Engine rebuild ?
Because... and just say'in here...
without even that most basic starting point of knowns to work from ?  It's almost impossible to suggest potentially valid upgrades ?
What year of 340 is this ?

Have you even checked thus far the side of the Block casting to verify it's a 340 and not a 318 ? Numbers Matching VIN on the Engine Block for example as well ?

Hard to tell from the Pic ?

But does yours have the '71, 72 and 1973 B Body 340 Drivers side Exhaust Manifold seen here:
Casting Number3418621

Only wimps wear Bowties !