News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Dodge Charger rear valence question

Started by farm966, January 08, 2022, 03:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farm966

Trying to replace the sheet metal on the back of my Charger and I am not sure where the two tabs on the bottom of the rear valence are supposed to go. Do these two tabs reside completely under the rear panel or are they supposed to hold the valence off of the rear panel? Do I bend them down? Also, should the bottom of the valence be snug against the bottom of the rear panel or is it supposed to be bowed out in the center? I appreciate the help.

kent

Kent

farm966

Yes, that helps a lot! Time to unscrew and realign, again. Thanks for quick response!

farm966

I have something off, when I move the rear valence down so those two tabs will be in contact with the bottom of the rear piece, my bumper bolts are partially covered. I am guessing that will be a problem as it goes back together. Should the reverse light holes in the valence align vertically with the holes in the rear brace?

kent

Sorry for just getting back to you. Worked all night, and I just got up.
Took a few pictures for you. Not the best aa I was jammed up against a wall, but will help a little I think.  As far as them lining up the answer is no. Not on mine any way. Those holes for the reverse light are not quite half the hole out. So certainly not aligned.  My car is a 23000 original miler from Ma Mopar.
Man those pictures are big. I have a few more for you I'm going to resize again.
I'll be right back.

Kent

kent

See if this size is better?? Oh yeah! We'll go with that.
Kent

kent

Man it's being a bitch to me trying to post some pictures :brickwall:  3rd try...
Kent

kent

Sorry. One at a time i guess

Kent

kent

Kent

kent

Here is a shot of the inside rear valance bracket from right underneath the trunk floor looking down the drivers side frame rail.
Hope these help. This picture is distorted??
Kent

b5blue

Shoot pics @ 1meg and rename every time.  :2thumbs:

kent

Tried this

Nope didn't work   Oh well enough for today.

Thanks for the tip b5blue.  I'll give a try some other time.

Off to work.
Kent

b5blue

b5blue

kent

1280x960 those are the magic numbers I needed
Thanks b5blue
Kent

matrout76

Quote from: farm966 on January 08, 2022, 05:54:07 PM
I have something off, when I move the rear valence down so those two tabs will be in contact with the bottom of the rear piece, my bumper bolts are partially covered. I am guessing that will be a problem as it goes back together. Should the reverse light holes in the valence align vertically with the holes in the rear brace?

I'm working on the exact same thing right now and having some similar issues.

are you installing an AMD rear valence panel?
did you just install a new trunk floor?
what dimension are you getting compared to here http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,140795.0.html  i think i'm closer to 13.75 to 14" in the photos from Reply #4 and 11" to reply #16.

it was a struggle to get the rear valence corners to line up, but i think i finally got it.

after looking at the photos in that link, and photos that i took...it seems like the holes in the new rear valence might be shifted in the part.  I'll double check that tonight...i have all the old parts i cut off the car in a pile behind my shop for reference.

kent

Good rule of thumb. Never throw any parts away. Still have all my old panels I cut out. I used my trunk extension to find the right sized drill for the body plugs.(practice/trial fit) Came in handy. These old parts and pieces are essential guides to help putting things right.  Spare tire brackets, hold down, filler pipe hole, vent body plug holes, jack hold down brackets. Pictures are ok and certainly help. But nothing like have those parts in hand.
Kent

Kern Dog

That is great advice....Sometimes you can salvage a section of a body panel to make the job easier. Nothing fits like an original part.

matrout76

I took some pics of the original rear valence and the new AMD rear valence...and they are...a little different.

My rear valence fits and looks similar to what is shown around the 5:15-5:33 minute section of this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtNSlBuXjXY&t=485s

and there is more in this video around the 1:10:15 time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9P9MhRHME

i tried a 3" wide chisel like Chris uses at 22:20 in this video, but ended up cutting a piece of hardwood and using it as a chisel to adjust the ends of the rear valence panel:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINe8IIFTLM&t=157s

after looking at this a bunch, and rewatching some of Chris's videos, i think i'm going to do some more clearance around the end of the rear crossmember and the bottom of the rear quarter panel and call it good.  I'm planning to work on it all day tomorrow and will take some more pics when i have it apart.

kent

Good luck matrout76!  
Chris has some of the best videos out there on the tube explaining the process of Charger reconstruction. He is the master of it. There is another fella just recently rebuilding a Charger from a rather quite rust shell. I think he's doing a 68. He is using AMD I'm pretty sure. I'll see if I can find a link to his channel. I don't think he's where your at yet but it interesting watching his large effort.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjQmelP_cn8  Just found this. You might be already on this.
Take a few pictures for to show us what your up to.

Kent

matrout76

Sorry for the delay, i should be able to get more photos this weekend and post them.

I used the first couple of minutes of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINe8IIFTLM&t=157s  to fit one of the trunk floor extensions and got it pretty good.  I'll post some photos of the trimming i had to do to get the corners to fit up. 

Maybe i should start my own thread...

Thanks!