News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fake battery shell

Started by bull, February 03, 2022, 12:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Last summer my 8-year-old reproduction Mopar battery croaked (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,140084.0.html) and during those 8 years prices went way up and as with all parts the availability went way down so I decided to try something different. Plan A was to gut the reproduction battery to put a small Odyssey inside like others have done but when I removed it I realized the case was cracked. So I cut it all up but kept the embossed front. I bought one of those fake, yellow cap tops and made a shell out of 1/8" ABS to house an inexpensive, regular battery. I'm not completely done but here are the results so far.

70 sublime

That looks better than I thought it would

Was it hard to find a battery with the same spacing on the posts ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

bull

Quote from: 70 sublime on February 03, 2022, 06:47:23 AM
That looks better than I thought it would

Was it hard to find a battery with the same spacing on the posts ?

The position of the posts was not that much of an issue as long as the top you get matches the battery group. In this case I wanted a Group 34 yellow cap top so I bought the Group 34 top and a Group 34 battery. The difficulty for me and the thing they don't tell you is that finding a Group 34 battery that fits under this cap correctly is a hassle. Overall dimensions of batteries are all over the map. There was easily a 3/16" - 1/4" overhang off the back of the battery I finally found and that was the best I could do. The lousy fitment is what prompted me to encase five sides of it (the bottom is open). I'm not going to lie, this project has been a pain in the butt from start to finish.

Nacho-RT74

I'd still try to get the real deal.

But anyway, that is a good idea, and you can even install some temperature isolation between case and batt. That will enlarge the batt life agiants the engine bay heat
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 03, 2022, 10:48:33 AM

I'd still try to get the real deal.

But anyway, that is a good idea, and you can even install some temperature isolation between case and batt. That will enlarge the batt life agiants the engine bay heat

I was hoping for that but there wasn't enough room. But the bottom is open and a lot of the heat can vent out the terminal holes at the top so that's better than nothing. Thing is over the course of 20 years I can probably switch this case out on three new normal batteries that will last 7-8 years for the price of one restoration battery that will go 10 years at most. I'm trying to think long term.