News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Pad Help

Started by AKcharger, May 03, 2022, 11:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Well I'm completely Shocked my New Chinese made dash pad from  Laysons doesn't fit.... Why do I even buy New (Chinese)  parts!!! you'd think I'd learned my lesson by now!! Anyway, any good places to redo originals "Just dashes is astronomical and is backlogged by like 15 years

Thanks in advance

Nacho-RT74

Can't tell on 2nd gens,  but based on 3rd gens ( which are harder to reproduce and more quality claims got ) carolina superdashes ( with the many bussines names they have got along the years ) uses to be a good source. They use to require a core if out of stock and, on 3rd gen at least, are rated on $400 rate. Althought on 3rd gens some details about some of the repros I have seen made by them are not completely satisfactory (IMHO).

ABCmopars is another source.

The initail best source long time ago we had used to be justdashes, but they prices began to be outrageous ( around $600 on 3rd gens at least ) way back. Dunno now.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AKcharger

Thanks Nacho, I'll try those guys!

Just dashes quoted me $799 and 6 months. I could almost buy that if it was a 3rd Gen but 2nd Gen pads  are arguably the simplest design EVER.

Did I mention how pissed I was at expensive Crap Chinese parts??

Nacho-RT74

I feel your pain... got my own experience with door panels... plus the international ride.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

69bfan

We have been using the ABC Moparts dash pads since 2018 and have had good luck with them.  Bob uses the original metal cores and only those that are rust free and that have good studs.  The grain is slightly less pronounced than the original pads, but most people will never know the difference.  Also, some of the reproductions are too short and leaves a gap at the area where the dash pad meets up with the A-pillar trim.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

AKcharger

Thanks Sir! I actually ordered another through DASHPAD PROS, I used them with my '72 dash and was happy, should have went to them 1st, we'll see how they do

RTSE440

I don't know how bad your original dash pad is but if you are handy with your hands and can do small body work jobs do the prep work yourself i done my own but admittedly i am a auto upholsterer. prep the dash yourself i mean fix all the cracks and splits by using bog or bondo to fit in the cracks . You can then sand it down smooth then take it to an auto upholsterer in your area they should be able to cover it for you because the money is in the prep work.

AKcharger

Quote from: RTSE440 on May 06, 2022, 08:07:41 AM
I don't know how bad your original dash pad is but if you are handy with your hands and can do small body work jobs do the prep work yourself i done my own but admittedly i am a auto upholsterer. prep the dash yourself i mean fix all the cracks and splits by using bog or bondo to fit in the cracks . You can then sand it down smooth then take it to an auto upholsterer in your area they should be able to cover it for you because the money is in the prep work.
Thanks Sir. I did consider that but the issue was matching the grain in the repair area, I cant figure out how to do that

RTSE440

You won't need to match the grain all you're doing is making the foundation so when you do take it to a auto upholsterer he/she will cover the dash with a material of your choice of color and grain

70gtx440dana

Has anyone used the 69-70 pad from Year One, Dante's or Classic Industries? If so, what are opinions?
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

AKcharger

Quote from: 70gtx440dana on May 09, 2022, 02:02:16 PM
Has anyone used the 69-70 pad from Year One, Dante's or Classic Industries? If so, what are opinions?

RTSE - I know of no place that can do that level of work around here...but I may keep the core anyway
just make sure it is NOT part # 1888-70(color) that's what I have and it's crap

Nacho-RT74

71/74 fiber frames were sold by Classic Industries quite ago and it seems they were all POS. I think most of them were returned and they stop to sell those... I think

AKcharger

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 10, 2022, 11:42:44 AM
71/74 fiber frames were sold by Classic Industries quite ago and it seems they were all POS. I think most of them were returned and they stop to sell those... I think
This one was a steel frame but the studs weren't even close. I just can't understand it, if you're a political prisoner in a Chinese slave labor camp you have NOTHING BUT TIME...take some pride in your work!

472 R/T SE

Wow.  They used to for sale at swap meets all the time about 10-13 years back.
Pretty standard.  I think the one I used in AllBlueRT was a 4 door Satellite pad.

I found a couple at a U Pull it but didn't have the extension tool, etc and came back the next weekend and Govier was in town and had them strip all the parts he wanted, including all the 69-70 pads, smh, lol.  Cock sucker, lol.

AKcharger

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 13, 2022, 05:41:11 PM
... came back the next weekend and Govier was in town and had them strip all the parts he wanted, including all the 69-70 pads, smh, lol.  Cock sucker, lol.

LOL!  :hah:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: AKcharger on May 15, 2022, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 13, 2022, 05:41:11 PM
... came back the next weekend and Govier was in town and had them strip all the parts he wanted, including all the 69-70 pads, smh, lol.  Cock sucker, lol.

LOL!  :hah:

PDX/Vancouver, all we had was that U Pull It that specialized in old s, 40 miles away in Damascus, Oregon.

Whenever they got a load of Mopars they'd call folks.  My fault but pulling a dash was new to me.

Thing is back then, we thought their prices were too high, lol.  Dash pads for $35, etc. lol.

AKcharger

OK well I'm on dash pad #3. I will say Dash pad Pros were nice enough send a 2nd pad after their 1st one didn't fit, but still not close to original. RTSE I think I understand now, have a local shop just glue some vinyl over the old one....I'm thinking about doing that... grrrrr!

JimShine

Quote from: AKcharger on May 20, 2022, 10:23:39 PM
OK well I'm on dash pad #3. I will say Dash pad Pros were nice enough send a 2nd pad after their 1st one didn't fit, but still not close to original. RTSE I think I understand now, have a local shop just glue some vinyl over the old one....I'm thinking about doing that... grrrrr!

I had this problem 20 years ago. I put one of those plastic dash caps in my car to get me by. It is still in my car. What pisses me off when I think about it, is I had maybe 2 or 3 opportunities to buy not too bad condition originals over the years, but I would see a "new" reproduction on the market and hesitate.

AKcharger

Well I will Say Dash pad Pros does have some good customer service, I showed them photos and they're going to make up one from an original core and ship it Tuesday. I will say they did my '72 pad and it's EXCELLENT . sounds like they tried to reinvent the wheel

472 R/T SE

Quote from: AKcharger on May 20, 2022, 10:23:39 PM

Depending on where the vinyl ends?
The one I inherited for AllBlueRT had its edge showing so when you looked at it from the windshield all you seen was the vinyl edge, hated it is why I pulled dash in it eventually.  Black might not be as noticeable but B7 was since it showed the black underlay.

When it came time to install, I put the old pad on top of dash, lining up the pad studs with dash hoes to make the fishing easier.

b5blue

Buy a dash top rug and call it a day!  ::)

472 R/T SE

Quote from: b5blue on May 22, 2022, 09:21:18 AM

I have one from my old A66 Challenger.  He could cut it to fit.  ;)

AKcharger

Quote from: b5blue on May 22, 2022, 09:21:18 AM

If I could get burnt orange shag I'd do it!

b5blue

AKcharger

OK DASH PAD PROS came through. they used an original core and it fit like a glove. So 1) dash Pad Pros is a responsible business 2) Use ONLY factory cores!!!