News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

exhaust manifold replacing gaskets

Started by John G, May 18, 2022, 10:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John G

mechanical question having problem with exhaust manifold leaking. Saw two youtube videos. one recommended only to use copper sealant and not a gasket while another says to use a gasket with perma seal. your thoughts are appreciated John G

John_Kunkel

If the mating surfaces are flat, nothing but a gasket is needed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

INTMD8

I don't run gaskets on manifolds or headers.  If they are straight and clean, thin smear of rtv and that's it.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Nacho-RT74

Factory didn't use gaskets between manifold and heads and in fact there is no a PN on Parts manual catalogs for that, just between manifold and pipe. Heads and manifold just used Hi Temp sealant
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John G

Thanks all.  will consider the advice when I attack this

b5blue

Remflex gaskets crush to seal and work very well. I had issues, tried all the yabba yabba above but still had leaks till I used them.  :2thumbs:

John G

Thanks for the advice.   this is driving me crazy!! lol

472 R/T SE

I pulled manifolds and have mating surface trued or get another set if it wasn't a #'s rig to worry about.

If it was an original rig with old bolts, I would just take the rig to exhaust shop and pay them to remove them.  I never wanted to mess with it, no torch or anything.
Leave car sit and had manifolds done.  Big city and all.

My problem was always those damn donuts at exhaust connection.  Those things really make your rig sound like shit when bad, lol.

b5blue

Remflex there also.  :2thumbs:  (With new manifolds available you can "buy your way out" of the delema.)