News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Swapping OUT a Firm Feel steering chuck for a Borgeson in a 1970 Charger

Started by Kern Dog, May 26, 2022, 12:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I installed a Firm Feel Stage 3 steering box in my '70 Charger some time in 2005. In 2006. I added the Fast Ratio Idler and Pitman arms.
The stock steering ratio of all Mopar RWD car chucks is 15.7 to 1. The Fast Ratio arms changes that to approximately 12 to 1.
Over the years, this FF box has loosened up a bit and I had to adjust the sector gear. Each time, it seemed okay for awhile but then I'd get that free play in the 11:00 to 1:00 range like in the pictures below.

Kern Dog

There will always be more free play with the engine off but when running, the P/S pump is supposed to reduce some of that center free travel.
Unfortunately, this unit has too much movement left to right before the tires respond. The coupler is not worn out. I can see the steering shaft and coupler turn the steering box input shaft several degrees before the Pitman arm starts to move.
I can't blame Firm Feel entirely, although this unit only has about 14,000 miles on it. At least it does not leak.
The problems are due to a few things. First and foremost is the actual design of the unit. It was first released sometime in the late 50s.... a time where the buying public found effortless steering to be highly desirable.  No American car manufacturer gave a dang about great handling back then. Sadly, this design remained unchanged well into the 70s until some units were given special attention and different internal parts. These Firm Feel units were used in Police and Taxicabs from what I recall. Many years later, a company sprung up and adopted that name, "Firm Feel" and started offering rebuilt steering boxes with improved feel.
No matter what though, the basic design of this unit is 1950s tech. There will always be some free play in the center. The Stage 3 option makes the steering effort much harder than stock. Adding the Fast Ratio arms also increases the effort needed to turn the wheel. These two things are great BUT they really highlight the slop in the middle. For comparison, a stock steering box is so easy to turn, you almost can't feel where the slop ends and when the tires start to turn. With the way I had mine, there was way too much easy turning before the wheels started to steer.
I decided to order a Borgeson steering kit from Bergman Auto Craft.

Kern Dog

The kit I ordered was $895 with FREE shipping. I got the small sector size with their hybrid coupler to skip cutting my column shaft. It came with hydraulic metric adapters, the coupler and the guts for it.

The unit comes powder coated in black and looks very nice. The size is amazing how small it is. It does look only slightly larger than a manual unit.

Kern Dog

The Borgeson is built with a 14 to 1 ratio. Because of that, I'll be returning to the shorter, stock ratio Idler and Pitman arms. Using the Fast Ratio arms would change the Borgeson to approx 10 to 1...that would be way too much!
I weighed the Borgeson along with the coupler, the fittings and steering arms.... 29 1/2 lbs.

Kern Dog

The Firm Feel chuck with Fast Ratio arms....

43 1/2 lbs!

Kern Dog

The stock Mopar box input shafts have a Master Spline index to indicate center of travel. You just line up the coupler and you're set.
With the Borgeson, there is no master spline. Because of this, you have to establish the center yourself. The shaft makes 3 5/8 turns. Half of that is 1 13/16, essentially 1 3/4 turns and a little bit more. Finding center is crucial because you want an equal amount of turns left and right. Also, there is a noticeable amount of increased effort required to turn the shaft as you are near the center. In other words, turn the shaft full left. For the first revolution, it turns easy. as you're going into the 13/16 of the turn to get to center, the shaft gets harder to turn. From center and to the right it stays hard to turn until another 13/16 of a turn, then gets easy for the last full revolution. I'm guessing that it isn't as noticeable with the pump adding assist but my guess is that it is there to give a better feel.
I took a paint pen to mark center on the input and Pitman shafts.

Kern Dog

Removal of the Firm Feel unit wasn't too bad. I'm an optimist so I thought I could get it out without pulling the header.
Uhhh, no.
First, I pulled the torsion bar and used a screw jack to lift the left side of the engine. It was annoying...it looked like the box should just slide right out. It is so weird how it seems like it should just pop right out but something interferes.
Also...What the heck is with this enormous size? They built this thing in 1957 and never thought to downsize it?

Kern Dog

Yeah, I pulled the header and from there, the steering box came out as easy as if I pulled it off of a shelf.

Kern Dog

I was able to pull the header with the spark plugs and starter in place. That surprised me.

I've always had crappy luck with the stock coupler. Fitting it to the steering box has never been easy. For me, 95% of the time, I have to tap the coupler onto the steering box using a hammer. There is limited room down there too. Because of this, I end up hitting the thin steel seal retainer and deform it.
I've heard some guys claim that their coupler just slides right on. Whuut? I've had that happen only a few times and never with this car. Years ago, I bought one of those neoprene boot type seals so I'll be reusing it for the Borgeson swap.

Kern Dog

I've parted out several cars here through the years and unfortunately, I didn't mark every part. I have several Idler and Pitman arms here that would work but I don't know if they are for A-B or even E body models. They all are small sector and they all measure about the same center to center.

Kern Dog

With the Firm Feel chuck out, I am going to clean up the area a bit before installing the Borgeson. I'll repaint the header too.

b5blue

What pump do you have? I converted from Federal after consulting Bergman.

Kern Dog

Sorry, I meant to cover that part.
Peter told me that a Saginaw pump is fine. The Federal and TRW pumps were often inadequate but the Saginaw usually puts out enough pressure. There was a trend toward reducing the boost in a Saginaw by adding shims to a valve inside. Peter said that if the car doesn't steer right, try removing the valve and see if there are shims in place. If so, remove them all. I'll do this before I even start the car. I need to call him to see what fluid to use. I have used ATF, ATF+4, real Power Steering fluid and even a splash of brake fluid in the past to slow a leak.

timmycharger

b5blue

Lucas has a high quality power steering fluid that I'm using. Walmart has the best price.  :scratchchin:

Kern Dog

Quote from: timmycharger on May 26, 2022, 02:20:05 PM
Nice write up and photos. Thanks!  :cheers:

Thank you, Tim.
I have a thread at FBBO as well. Their software allows to insert pictures in a manner where you can essentially "caption" each one to tell the story better.
I am grateful though to have this forum as well to tell the story.

I went out to get a few supplies, I'll go out to the shop in a few moments to resume the work.
I'm going to add a Zerk fitting to the coupler so I had to get some of those along with an appropriate drill bits. I tried to buy that Mopar Long Fiber grease but the dealer nearby said that it was discontinued and the only remaining cartridge is in Illinois.
I read in the Mopar Action magazine that any fluid is okay to use but to step it up a little, I bought some ATF+4 synthetic.
My local speed shop wanted $22 for a can of VHT High temp header paint. Twenty Two dollars ? ? ?  The O'Rielleys had it for $15.

Kern Dog

First up, I put the fittings on the steering box. In retrospect, I could have put them in with the box in place...there is that much more room now.
The Borgeson box is in. The bolts were cleaned and slathered with red Locktite.

Kern Dog

With the smaller size of the steering box and with the torsion bar out of the way, the header slipped right up and into place. LOOK at the clearance now. Too bad I had to dent the tubes to clear the huge stock steering box.

Kern Dog

Next was the steering column. This is the original one from the car. Where the steering shaft goes into the column housing on the firewall side, there was nothing to "center" the shaft on the opening. I looked at a few other columns that I had in my stash and it seems like some sort of bearing is supposed to be there. I found one that fit and placed a few small tack welds around the perimeter to hold it in  place. It isn't factory correct but the shaft is centered and should stay that way.
I drilled a 7/32" hole in the new coupler and screwed in a 1/4" Zerk fitting. New shoes and spring and some chassis grease....and the column is ready to go back in. I'll get the Wife to help with that.

b5blue

I just centered the shaft using the oversized holes on the floor board plate. I've an aftermarket power steering cooler to add are you using one? What about a filter, mine will act as a coupler on the return hose from the cooler. (When I add it.)

Kern Dog

I've had an inline cooler in the car for many years. I got it from a mid 80s Diplomat Police car.

Kern Dog

I pulled the pump. This is the one that some call the "Canned Ham" because it resembles one...

Kern Dog

The port where the pressure hose attaches is held in place with a 1" hex nut. Behind it is the spool valve.

Kern Dog

The spool valve often has thin washers behind the head of the 7/16" bolt like this one.

Kern Dog

Mine did not. I just put it back in, cleaned the pump then painted it.