News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

alternator Upgrade wiring question

Started by misty440, October 03, 2022, 06:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misty440

this summer I did the Amp gauge bypass and also the headlight relay upgrade. I did not see a difference on the headlights brightness. I have also installed a radio for the first time, the alternator is a stock one which has been in the car since 93'. Car has been sitting since 96' and just started driving her again after fixing many odds and ends. I am thinking that my alternator is just not generating much power if my headlight's did not get brighter, they are halogen sealed installed in 93'. I want to add a subwoofer and amp to the car. My question is: can I upgrade my alternator with the stock wiring harness? I also read not to connect my amp directly to the battery? Not looking to go crazy with the amp but I think I will need to power the amp with at least a 8awg feed. Should I get power off the Fuse block and create a power distribution block? I see upgrade alternators from Mancini what is the max upgrade that I can go without causing myself other issues without having to upgrade other things? Thanks for all of your feedback!
Chris
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

Nacho-RT74

the bigger main problem on Mopars is the underrated alt outputs from factory... then the bulkhead connection. Fixing the output capacity alt on our cars is the first step for a better car performance everywhere. That even will make to live better the STOCK bulkhead connections believe it or not.

for more, check the stickied thread about alt and wiring upgrades
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

I would use the alternator b5blue shows above; run a #6 wire directly from the alternator to the battery, this will reduce the load on the bulkhead connectors but will make the ammeter ineffectual. Add a volt meter to monitor the system. Follow the amp maker's instructions, if they want the power wire connected directly to the battery, do it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

misty440

thanks guys,
I read thru the sticky post about the charging, looks like 60-65 at idle is the desired choice, the recommended alternator gives out double that at idle for even the lowest output one. now how do i know if i have externally or internally regulated? how do i wire the new alt with one wire if my stock alt has two wires?
Thanks
Chris

misty440

thanks for the help guys, I see that the Quality Power alternator 110 amp pumps out 55 amp at idle and costs $245 with about $50 in shipping or I can get the 150 amp / 120 amp at idle for $325 with free shipping! Looks like the 120 amp idle is the better deal for just $25 extra, in this case is more not better? Is 120 amp at idle too much for my stock electrical system? I plan to upgrade my distributor to electronic next year which I believe comes with a new voltage regulator. would I need to change anything immediately if I get the higher output alternator?
Thanks
Chris

b5blue

I have a Denso 120amp that puts out about 55-60amp at idle and it was the best you could do years ago. I'm getting the 325.00 one soon as it's so much improved.  :cheers:

misty440

I called Quality Power today and was told to measure from the front of the bracket to the valve cover, the high amp alternator needs 4 1/2" of clearance. Apparently aftermarket valve covers cause clearance issues with this model, I measured tonight and on my 70' 440 with stock type valve covers I have 4" of clearance so the high amp alt will not fit. I will be going with the upgraded stock type.
Thanks
Chris

b5blue

Interesting...I'll have to call them also!  :scratchchin:

LaOtto70Charger

As a heads up I bought the one with 55 amps at idle and it did not have enough current at my engines idle speed to not discharge the battery and need to return it. Your experience may differ.

Does the 120 amp at idle require 4.5" clearance from the brackets or was that a higher amp version?

Will the denso fit a 318 with ac and stock brackets?

b5blue

I got from Mancini long ago. My car is driven night/day/rain/shine and the Denso mostly keeps up. (Blows the doors off stock.)

misty440

the 120 amp at idle looks like the stock one. it is a remove and replace