News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any into scale train stuff?

Started by b5blue, December 03, 2022, 10:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Seems every Christmas a few pals and I start recalling train sets from childhood years. One friend even started collecting off eBay and went from O to N to HO and back and forth for various reasons. As a kid my last set was N gauge and went to my uncle for his kids. This year I did the annual train thing but found something I didn't know about. Z gauge is 1/2 the size and twice the cost of N gauge roughly but a few years ago T gauge came to the market. 1/2 the size of Z it comes in at 1/450th scale. Retired and bored I ordered a basic track and engine starter set for 177.00 delivered and am waiting for a tiny, costly box to arrive.  
https://www.tgauge.us/

70 sublime

I am into the model train stuff
Basement is full of them
The second picture with the trains of the display shelf near the top left corner is a red engine
My very first engine I bought close to 50 years ago now and it still works

I have mostly HO scale stuff 1:87

But the last little while I have been playing around with old Lionel trains
Have a table set up 6 X 8 feet just to run them on for now

As I get older and harder to see and big fingers I find playing with the bigger stuff is much more enjoyable because I can take it apart and get it back together

Think you will find with that really small stuff you are getting if it stops working you will just have to buy another as there will not be much taking apart to fix

Last picture is Lionel Flying Yankee train
Total basket case
All rusty and stuck
My project last night
I had the armature and brushes all out of the electric motor and cleaned it all up
Very satisfying to see something like that run again
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

Nacho-RT74

I’m fan of scale trains, but I never have been able to get focused into that 100%. I have a good collection of HO Märklin pieces… around 12 locomotives (one of them able to spit smoke), 20 wagons, lot of rails… I hope someday will be able to build it
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70 sublime

Make sure you post a picture of your new train when you get it

b5blue

AKcharger

71charger_fan

I dragged out an old Lionel Crayola set to put around the Christmas tree for my grandson only to fine the electronic reversing unit is toast. In hindsight, I think I accidentally operated the only DC locomotive I own on AC power. I found the exact same set on Ebay for $92 shipped so I ordered it. I only need the locomotive, but extra cars and track are nice. In the meantime, I went to the basement and got an AC locomotive and powerpack to keep him busy until I get the "new" Crayola engine. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll clear some space and set up a train table. Now that I'm in my mid-60s, I guess I should either do it or stop lying to myself.

b5blue

They say model trains are dying out but markets are packed with options. I found the tiny T gauge looking at Z's.

Old Moparz

I still have my HO scale trains that I've had since the early 70's. I had incorporated my slot car set up with it for a while even though the scale was a bit off. Tyco had made a slot car RR crossing track section but I never got around to getting it & wish I had. It would be nice to set them up one day but space is an issue. I remember the N gauge & thought they were nice & wouldn't take up space but I had too much invested in HO to switch over. I cannot imagine an even smaller gauge, I would need binoculars to see it make a turn.  :smilielol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

71charger_fan

It's a shame that manufacturers made slot cars in S gauge/scale and marketed them as HO. Hornby's OO scale trains run on HO track and are closer in scale at 1:76 to "HO" slot cars.

b5blue

As kids we did the car/train Tyco shuffle 1:72nd planes and RoCo tanks mixed in. When my kids were young I found a NOS Mad Max kinda slot car set and we messed around quite a bit. Funny that last year during my clear/clean out they wanted me to hang on to it STILL but I made them take it, I've still to much crap to pitch.  :lol:

70 sublime

A buddy about  a mile up the road from me has a Lionel train and slot car track set up 
We both have some Carrera 1/32 slot cars
I go over to his place some times to race
He has all the trees and houses on the table so it is full scenery
The train runs in a big L shaped loop and you have to cross the train track in one spot
He just has the car track a little higher on one side and you jump over the train rails

Lots of fun but a little hard when you are watching the cars and you come around the corner and there is a train in the way  :icon_smile_big:

Old Moparz

Just spotted this & thought I'd post it. I noticed that it's the older style slot car track that uses the steel pins & push in "C" clips. They also made adaptor track to use the newer snap together style with the older track. I can't remember if I ever bought the adaptor track but I didn't have a lot of the older type track so I may not have.  :shruggy:

I'd still like to snag a RR X-ING for when & if I ever drag things out of the boxes.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

A383Wing

I still have my complete "O" scale MARX brand train set that I got when I was around 7 years old. Has heavy metal locomotive that makes smoke puffs out the engine stack. The coal car is part of the engine assembly and cannot be separated. Has 13 total cars, and has a metal working crane car as well.

Bryan

b5blue

The set came today, what a hoot! I'll post pics tomorrow. So tiny but quick on the track. 

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: b5blue on December 16, 2022, 07:58:28 PM
The set came today, what a hoot! I'll post pics tomorrow. So tiny but quick on the track. 

:popcrn:

b5blue

I don't know how good this will be, testing the limits of my old camera. (That Sharpie the small one with fine and ultra fine tips.) The blue thing gets 3 AAA batteries and controls FWD/REV and speed.  :2thumbs:

b5blue

Here I'm taking a pic of my laptop screen using a USB microscope. Wheels and couplers close ups.

70 sublime

Boy that is small very small

How big is the loop of track ?

b5blue

LaOtto70Charger

Actually pretty impressive detail at that scale.

c00nhunterjoe