News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 68 Charger IS HOME from PAINT!!..>> UPDATE APR 3 (see p.3)

Started by PocketThunder, July 20, 2005, 10:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Quote from: MGBRingo on July 28, 2005, 10:08:46 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.   I will take some pictures of the H&H mount I will not be using also.     Thanks

I am also interested in how you wired it.   I am planning on mounting those quick release connections on the front and rear of my truck so I can just plug it in when I need to use it.

Here are some pics.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Hello everyone.  Well, disregard my 1st post where i said i was gonna have the car painted in August.  I was dreaming, or well, actually i needed to take a break to get the family squared away and now i'm back.  (We sold our house and bought down to allow my spouse to only work part time and stay home more with 'lil thunder...)  (i still got a 3 car garage at this next place though!)

So i took the 68 to a couple body shops and got some quotes today.  1st shop, (Bob) that did a friends 69 pickup that turned out nice,  said $5000 plus materials.  And i can come work on it with him on weekends.  So thats not too bad but there i'm looking at $7000 when he(we) are all done.  And i dont have free weekends.

Next stop was at Maaco on the way home from work.  $3600 painted base/clear with DuPonts Chromabase.  Add $500 to cut and buff.  So this is where i'm gonna go.  I can cut and buff it myself.  So for $3600 i'm going with Maaco.  I'll drop it off next week and i will get it back in Jan/Feb.  They are a production shop, so when they are slow they will work on my car.  That is fine with me, i'll have time to get my K-frame done and ready to bolt back up.

So, anyways, just was excited to be back moving on this project again and wanted to tell everyone.

Paul
in St. Paul, MN
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

CB

Pocket, is Maaco reliable? Don't they cut (very big) corners to prep and paint your car?
I do believe they were bad news,but could be wrong.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

PocketThunder

:icon_smile_big:

PocketThunder

Quote from: CB on November 23, 2005, 05:48:55 PM
Pocket, is Maaco reliable? Don't they cut (very big) corners to prep and paint your car?
I do believe they were bad news,but could be wrong.

If you pay for the $259 ambassador special, then they arent gonna spend much time on your car.  I am paying $4000 and they are doing a good job so far.  I stop in once or twice a week to see how its going and i'm happy.

73rallye440magnum

lookin good PT, so I'll see you at some local shows this summer?
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Shakey

Great progress!  Car is looking good!  Keep us updated with pics.

MOPARHOUND!

Great thread, love the pics.

The trailer I purchased has 4 feet stationary, and 18 feet that tilts via gravity (no jack).   Has removable fenders and stake pockets for tieing down etc.   I paid for extra steel at the front of the tilt portion to mount a winch, which I discovered threw my "neutral balance" off.   But, I just throw a little weight on the other end to compensate.   I carry a car battery with me, and some marine type terminals for quickly connecting/disconnecting to the winch cables.  Would like to figure out a way to pemanently mount the battery to the trailer one day.  You have to pay attention when you unload/load, as once you reach the point of tilt, it can happen in a hurry (right 01? Heh, heh).  

Link to ebay auction, direct from manufacturer, built to my spec. at their Ozark, MO location: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-18-4-Tilt-Car-Hauler-Tandem-Lowboy-Utility-Trailer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80769QQitemZ4596203381QQrdZ1

Pic of unloading moparguy01's Charger at RD's house:
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Mfr426

Nice Charger and all but...THAT GARAGE IS FANTASTIC!!! Nicely done (both the car AND the garage). :icon_smile_tongue:

Mike

Charger_Fan

That's way cool that your finally getting that baby in paint! :boogie:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

Here is my $5000 Maaco paint job....  I'm very happy so far. they are gonna sand out some imperfections Monday and shoot a 4th coat of clear and then assemble the car.  Then the detailer will cut and buff it during the week and i will get it back Saturday Feb. 4th.....

My Spouse was pretty excited to see her car moving along..... (hehe)

Paul
in St. Paul 

PocketThunder

;D

PocketThunder

:boogie:

jaak

AirborneSilva

dern that looks good, I'll bet your spouse is getting excited!!!  I don't know how you're going to keep that away from her until you get your's done  ;D

Charger_Fan

Mmmm...I can almost smell that fresh paint from here! :icon_smile_approve:
That looks fantastic, Man!! I bet your wife wasn't the only one wearing a big perma-grin. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

8WHEELER

???  Yep still spinning from that new car/paint smell   :icon_smile_big: looks great.

Maybe I did not see it in all of the posts, but what color is it PP1?  good color,   :thumbs:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

694spdRT

Looking great Pocket! I love red Charger's. :2thumbs:

P.S. That's what you are planning to drive down to Wisconsin this year isn't it?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

PocketThunder

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 29, 2006, 12:34:01 AM
???  Yep still spinning from that new car/paint smell   :icon_smile_big: looks great.

Maybe I did not see it in all of the posts, but what color is it PP1?  good color,   :thumbs:

Dan

PP1  :yesnod:

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 29, 2006, 12:42:54 AM
Looking great Pocket! I love red Charger's. :2thumbs:

P.S. That's what you are planning to drive down to Wisconsin this year isn't it?

YES :yesnod:

golden73

NHCharger

Looks Great. Nothing like the smell of a freshly painted car.
You plan on driving that this year :o
I got my 71 back from the shop last week and I'm hoping that I have it ready for Carlisle 2007.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

General_01

The car looks Great! I will have to park next to you this year so my car looks better. I can only wish for the day my car looks that good. Can't wait to see it in person. Awesome!  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PlumBad70

Looks awesome..I know the feeling, its awesome isn't it ;)
Steve
1970 Charger R/T Sublime
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4

moparguy01

Quote from: MOPARHOUND! on December 14, 2005, 11:26:08 PM
Great thread, love the pics.

The trailer I purchased has 4 feet stationary, and 18 feet that tilts via gravity (no jack).   Has removable fenders and stake pockets for tieing down etc.   I paid for extra steel at the front of the tilt portion to mount a winch, which I discovered threw my "neutral balance" off.   But, I just throw a little weight on the other end to compensate.   I carry a car battery with me, and some marine type terminals for quickly connecting/disconnecting to the winch cables.  Would like to figure out a way to pemanently mount the battery to the trailer one day.  You have to pay attention when you unload/load, as once you reach the point of tilt, it can happen in a hurry (right 01? Heh, heh).   

Link to ebay auction, direct from manufacturer, built to my spec. at their Ozark, MO location: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-18-4-Tilt-Car-Hauler-Tandem-Lowboy-Utility-Trailer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80769QQitemZ4596203381QQrdZ1

Pic of unloading moparguy01's Charger at RD's house:

you arent kidding. Im not loading another car on your trailer hound. ill let you do it. that thing scared the beejesus outta me. then i was dumb enough to let off the brakes and had to do it a second time. haha

i wonder how itll look after its cut and buffed. we need more pics!!