News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torsion Bars...

Started by 74ChargerDrummr, August 21, 2005, 09:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74ChargerDrummr

I was wondering if it's worth it to get the torsion bars adjusted or to replace them? Nothing has been done to them since 1974. Thanks in advance!
"...try to run, try to hide, break on through to the other side..."

Ghoste

If it isn't sagging in the front or causing you any other grief, then they are probably fine.  They are like any other spring.  They will lose some tension over time but the beauty of torsion bars is that they are adjustable.  If they are only sagging a little, crank them up.  If they're too far gone, then you may have to look at replacement.

74ChargerDrummr

Thanks Ghoste! based on your description, they are "just sagging a little' so I'll turn them up!

Ghoste

I'm not sure what the ride height is supposed to be for a 74 but if you don't have the fsm yourself, I'm sure someone here can provide that spec.  For my car, it's 1 7/8 + or- 1/8.  It's measured by comparing the difference from the lowest point of the adjusting blade to the floor and the lowest point of the steering knuckle arm on the same side.

74ChargerDrummr

Thanks Ghoste...I'll keep an eye out for it. As for my ride, my front tires are smaller than the back, so it sits a little low. I should have goteen the same tires, because I scrape some stuff at times.  :flame:

Chryco Psycho

make sure you unload the weight from the bars by jackin gthe car up before raising the adjustment

Ghoste

Forgot to mention that.  Could you even crank them up by hand with the car weight on there?

Nacho-RT74

from Haynes manual:

"On 1971 through 1973 Chryslers and on 1974 B and C bodies, measure the distance from the Torison bar Anchor to the floor and from the balljoint housing to the floor. The difference is the ride height;..."

Ride height is posted at the start of chapter and it says 1-7/8 inches for 1974 B bodies
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Ghoste on August 22, 2005, 04:20:02 AM
Forgot to mention that.   Could you even crank them up by hand with the car weight on there?
yes it can be done , but the Anchor or bolt could strip

cudaken

How many miles on the Charger? Mine broke at 162,000 miles. I love the new bars on the Charger, Cuda and Road Runner.

If over 120,000 miles would still be a good idea.

Ok, I will shut up

Cuda Ken

PS, if you carnk on them should have the car alined as well.

I am back