News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new gas tank finish

Started by runningman, September 18, 2006, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

Just got my new tank, won't be putting it on until next spring or so but was wondering what you guys done to yours?  Paint?  Powdercoat?  thanks.........matt

Shakey

Quote from: runningman on September 18, 2006, 02:28:54 PM
Just got my new tank, won't be putting it on until next spring or so but was wondering what you guys done to yours?  Paint?  Powdercoat?  thanks.........matt

I used Eastwood's Tank Tone on my new tank.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8798.0.html

daytonalo

I think that product is horrible , not even close to what new tank looks like . I have used stainless paint from home depot , much closer to a new tank appearance

runningman

so the tanks just had a natural finish from the factory? 

runningman

Quote from: Shakey on September 18, 2006, 02:46:42 PM
Quote from: runningman on September 18, 2006, 02:28:54 PM

I used Eastwood's Tank Tone on my new tank.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8798.0.html

By the way, that tank looks nice......

Recharger

I used POR-15's clear on mine, to keep the natural finish and hopefully prevent any premature rust.  It brushed on well without leaving any streaks, and dried to a nice shine without dulling or hazing the natural look of the metal.  Here's an 'after' shot of the tank just before installation....

gtx6970

Quote from: runningman on September 18, 2006, 03:21:46 PM
so the tanks just had a natural finish from the factory? 

fuel tanks were plated with a product called nitrine (sp ck )

Every new  tank I've installed I just spray down with clear silicone spray a couple times a year and never had a problem

bill440rt

I sprayed mine with Nyalic clear from Eastwood. I'm not too sure if you can still get this stuff. If not, they make another good one called Diamond clear.
I've also heard good things about the POR-15 products as well.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

daytonalo

Forget what I said , I thought it was a used tank . the process I mentioned work out well for the 69 AMX I just restored in my shop . A new tank was unavailable for this car

resq302

I always thought the gas tanks had a galvanized finish to them.  Anyway, I just wipe a thin coating of Boeshield on it as it is a rust penetrant that leaves a thin waxy coating on part after it dries.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto