News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

leaky pan on 727

Started by .030 over 68, August 26, 2005, 09:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.030 over 68

I've tried cork, rubber, composite, even rtv and the f-ing pan still leaks. No it's not coming from the dipstick. New O ring and no residue there. Literally i have put 4 (including) present gaskets on trying to get this resolved and well over 100 bucks in tranny fluid, even a new pan. Who has the sure fire fix? Please let me here from you.

Speaking of leaks, chrome thermostat housings suck. I'm going back to cast.

Nacho-RT74

I'm on same deal... Also installed new O ring on NSS, new seals at tranny levers.

Only rest speedo gear, and maybe tranny cooller lines.

I hope won't be the torque converter seal.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

.030 over 68

i failed to mention that this transmission has a fresh rebuild. Everything new including t-converter

41husk

Try doubl gasket on the pan?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Just 6T9 CHGR

Are you sure its coming from the pan??   Most leaks come from above it.

Hows your shift selector seal.  This is the culprit for many a trans leak......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

Even though the trans is a fresh rebuild,some shops fail to replace the O ring on the rear band lever pivot shaft. A leak at the pin will run down to the pan gasket before dripping off making it appear that the gasket is the source of the leak.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

The pan isn't bent?   It has a good dimple (whatever they called the raised center portion of the pan rail)?   Have you laid a straightedge across the bottom of the case?

SpudRacer

I'm sure you've already done it, but I agree with checking the trans flange to ensure no damage or hairline cracks seen.

I had a similar problem with my 69' 727, and ended up trying a plastic pan gasket from Year One. I installed it 1 week ago and am delighted to report narry a drop on the floor since.  I used NO sealant, just the gasket.  If you dare try another gasket, give it a try.  You might want to install a drain plug in your trans pan.  That way if it doesn't work, you can at least drain out the oil into a sterile container and reuse the fluid.  That should at least save a little money and extend your patience a tad!!

Tom
Bryson City, NC
69 Charger R/T SE Turquoise
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

roger01

im having the same problem although i havent tried to source out the problem i will be soon .....anyways i want to change all i can as for gaskets......now if i take the tranny pan off how much fluid is going to come out ....a river of fluid?...or just a couple of quarts...also what seals am i able to change myself at home ....thanks

Ghoste

SpudRacer

Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise