News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project '69 **PAINTED** V21 Hood Treatment

Started by bill440rt, October 30, 2006, 01:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

With the help our one of our fearless leader moderators, JUST 6T9_CHGR, I've started the V21 hood treatment on my '69. THANKS, CHRIS!!  :cheers:
From my last post, I planned on doing this in paint for a seamless graphic on the hood. I started by wetsanding the callout areas with 1000, & the rest of the hood & cowl with 600. I then laid out the '70 "440" callout decals.
Here are some pics:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Using the factory bulletin, pics of original & restored cars, and the "magic template" JUST 6T9_CHGR had, Chris & I then laid out the stripes.
This really wasn't too hard, just time consuming & it took a little patience. I used 3M 1/4" blue fineline tape.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Oh, I forgot mention... The "440" decals were won off of eBay, & they were advertised as NOS. This was OK, as I figured maybe an older decal might be a little easier to get off. It looked like there were a few small surface imperfections, almost like using a pin to pop pinholes. I covered those up with small pieces of masking tape, that's why you see small pieces of tape on them.

OK, next comes the black. I used PPG DBC black basecoat for this, three nice coats. I aimed the spray gun along the backside of the hood, & masked off a 1/4" reveal on the inner edge of the cowl & firewall.

I'm taking a lunch break while letting this black dry. I'll then peel off the "440's". I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Stay tuned...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Oh man....now I want it done to mine :rotz:
Now it will look like I'm copying off you ;)

Anyhoo Bill is a friggin' madman when it comes to painting.    His method was almost maniacal but precise.  I told him to slow down & not to rush on my account because I had to make sure I was home for my kids coming home from school....he said "I'm not rushing....thats how I work!"

My template that I had made off Lee Storz' V21 car (Thanks Lee!) was a bit hard to work with.  Bill figured out a way to use the template along with some kindergarten pencil rubbing's he learned from his son (who is too young to go to kindergarten yet but the kid is a genius)

Using pics & the factory design bulletin bill made some "Mann made" V21 curves that really looked great....I basically stood back & watched the smoke...I think I did get to put one piece of masking tape on the whole project though.

All in all it was a nice couple of hours that I know were well spent......by the time Bill finishes I'm sure he will have it down pat when its time to roll my car in the "paint booth" ;)
:cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Looks pretty cool!   :yesnod:  Lookin' forward to seeing the end results.   :yesnod:

That will be one sweet ride when you're done - is it gonna have a Hemi?

Chris G.

Quote from: Shakey on October 30, 2006, 02:08:04 PM
is it gonna have a Hemi?

Errr..  :ahum: :scratchchin: :shruggy: :D

Looks great Bill!  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hemidog

MOPARHOUND!

Website with some handy pics of an original V21 Charger.  Per the owner, the Winged Warriors / National B Body Owners Association and Galen Govier have confirmed that the stripes on the hood are correct. They match an original Chrysler print on hood graphics for 69 Chargers:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Factory/8343/hoodpics.htm

6T9, is this the same Lee you are referencing?
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

jaak

UNMASK IT!!!! UNMASK IT!!! UNMASK IT!!!!!!!!!  lol :icon_smile_big:

looks great!

Jason

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: MOPARHOUND! on October 30, 2006, 05:37:14 PM
Website with some handy pics of an original V21 Charger.  Per the owner, the Winged Warriors / National B Body Owners Association and Galen Govier have confirmed that the stripes on the hood are correct. They match an original Chrysler print on hood graphics for 69 Chargers:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Factory/8343/hoodpics.htm

6T9, is this the same Lee you are referencing?

Yep thats Lee's car.  Those are the pics he took for me.  His car was resprayed at one point though.  I do have some original unrestored car's pics that we used as refrences as well.

Heres some pics of his car and the template he made for me
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Bill, that car is certainly going to look awesome when it is finished.  Looks great now.  Can't wait to see the next phase.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

Looks great.  Hey Chris, any guess on how many might have come from the factory with the callout in 69?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on October 31, 2006, 04:51:20 AM
Looks great.  Hey Chris, any guess on how many might have come from the factory with the callout in 69?

The engine callouts (440 or HEMI) were a 1970 option....it was not available in 1969

The '69 V21 Hood Performance Treatment (stripes) was optioned on 337 R/T cars and 56 base model XP Chargers

As you can see the 69 style is very different from the 70 style V21
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Well, not to leave everyone hanging, I did not get to clear the hood. As expected, the older decals peeled off quite nicely, & left a razor sharp outline. However, the glue residue that remained is a nightmare.  :scared:
WARNING: Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT ever use older decals. This glue residue does NOT come off easily. I've tried every chemical imaginable with little success trying not to ruin the design. In all my years of striping/decaling experience, I've never seen glue residue like this.  :brickwall:

Long story short, Chris from Phoenix Graphix is hooking me up with a set of "440" decals made from a stecil material. Leaves no residue when removed. I have to finish removing this residue (I spent 7hrs yesterday on ONE SIDE!!), feather the area with 1000 grit being careful not to break the clear over the pearl, reapply the stencils, respray the black, pull 'em off, then clear. I am not happy.  :flame:  :bawling:

Luckily, the outline of the hood stripes will be OK, I don't have to touch that.
I will update when this is finally finished, I promise. Stencils will be here 5-10 days.
Thanks everyone for the compliments, they DO help!!!  :2thumbs:

Shakey

Lord Warlock

What type of paint was used on the factory v21 option?  flat black or the same used on the taillight panel?  And where do you get that type of paint?  I'll be doing the tail section of my car soon and need to find out.  I've always liked the hood treatment though, and am tempted to paint mine that way even though it wasn't stock.  By the way, thanks for the link, i've bookmarked it for future use. 

Lord Warlock

PS  I like the callouts too, I'm sure they'll look great when you finish. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 31, 2006, 08:36:24 AM
The engine callouts (440 or HEMI) were a 1970 option....it was not available in 1969

The '69 V21 Hood Performance Treatment (stripes) was optioned on 337 R/T cars and 56 base model XP Chargers

As you can see the 69 style is very different from the 70 style V21

Okay, thanks.

bill440rt

Quote from: Lord Warlock on October 31, 2006, 05:20:24 PM
What type of paint was used on the factory v21 option?  flat black or the same used on the taillight panel?  And where do you get that type of paint?  I'll be doing the tail section of my car soon and need to find out.  I've always liked the hood treatment though, and am tempted to paint mine that way even though it wasn't stock.  By the way, thanks for the link, i've bookmarked it for future use. 

Lord Warlock

PS  I like the callouts too, I'm sure they'll look great when you finish. 

Originally, it was that flat black textured paint, similar to the hood stripes on '70 Road Runners, GTX's, and the Charger tail light panels. You can still get some of that stuff mixed, some of the Mopar parts suppliers carry it. You can also get it from Frank Badalson of Roger Gibson Restorations.
I simply used PPG DP black epoxy primer, "dry sprayed" it to get that rough texture, & then painted it with semi-flat paint. Here's a link to my last post for a pic of the tail light panel:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19944.0.html

The hood V21 treatment I'm doing is going to be gloss black, buried under clear.
Or, so I hope once it's done!! Hopefully those callouts will be here over the weekend or early next week.

Good Luck with yours, Lord Warlock!

resq302

Bill, have you tried white polishing compound to get the glue residue off?

Just a thought.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger_Fan

That's gonna look really cool when you're done. That's a bummer about the adhesive, but you will overcome. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lord Warlock

I've got a question about the v21 hood treatment.  Does the edge of the black paint extend all the way past the edge of the hood indentations? or start right where the metal starts to bend (the top edge)  In the original pics it looked like the paint went slightly beyond the indentations.  I'm getting closer to where i'd be trying to duplicate your efforts.  (2 more topcoats to do first)
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

hemi-hampton

Bill, Lets see the Finished Product/update? LEON. :scratchchin:

bill440rt

Hey Leon,
WOW!!! This is an old post! I'm sure I've updated this in other posts. But, my memory sucks, so who knows.  :scratchchin: :rofl:

Anyway, I ended up using the 440 callouts made into stencils by Phoenix Graphix. The callouts came out great. The whole car is coming out way better then I thought it would. For a driveway, at home-restored car, I wouldn't be ashamed to take it to any show.

Here are some pics of the finished hood:

bill440rt

Warlock,
I ended the stripes right at the hood indentations at the upper, front-most crease. (Hope that makes sense...)
Only in the photos of the prototype Charger "show car" that had the V21 did I ever see it stop short. The depression decals make up the rest.

I's still gonna put flat-black decals in the depression on my hood, to give an added effect.

See pic below: