News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FOUND, 74 Charger SE

Started by NHCharger, November 26, 2006, 01:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

Just checked out this 74 Charger SE. The original owner just passed away and his brother now owns it. He's going to sell it but has no knowledge of Mopars and no idea what it's worth. I told him I'd post some pics here to get some feedback from the experts.

C54  Split back bench/center armrest
V4X  Halo vinyl roof-black
U      built to USA specs.
E44   318/150HP
D44   904 AT
215    build date 2/15/74
KB5    Lucerne blue metallic paint
000    ???
S2B6   trim grade-sport, trim style-vinyl bench, trim color- medium blue

He's said he had all the paper work and receipts for the car.
44,600 original miles.
The good. Solid car, no body rot, engine starts right up and runs fine. Very clean interior. No rust on bottom of doors, no rust on quarters. No rust around bottom of rear window, Both bumpers have been re-chromed, surface rust on bottom of car but frame looks solid.

The bad. trunk seal leaks, but no rust in trunk floor. Cracked dash pad, rust bubble on lower dog leg drivers side, surface rust spots on top of both front fenders about the size of a quarter, some surface rust on passenger side fender, some rust starting on passenger side rocker. Needs a new vinyl top, some small rust bubbles under top. The windshield might have a leak, had water droplets on inside right above vin tag. The tail lights have yellowed and the chrome it starting to peel off the tail light trim( my digi camera crapped out before I could take a pic)

The car is wearing it's original paint, you can see where the car cover has sat on it for a long time but I'm sure it would buff out.

It wouldn't take much to make this into a really nice driver. I'm thinking he could sell it locally for around $5-5.5k. Some guy offered him 2k this morning. If I wasn't putting my oldest boy through college this post would be showing off my lastest car.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

more pics
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

more
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

last pics
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

THE CHARGER PUNK

that vinyl top looks a little small where the SE emblem is(something like this?,see below)

TruckDriver

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on November 26, 2006, 01:39:05 PM
that vinyl top looks a little small where the SE emblem is

Looks? It is. Looks strange too ???
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Chris G.

If that car truly does have it's original paint, it looks outstanding. Not brushed up on the '74 model, so can't comment on that roof deal.  ???

no318

No rally dash.  I thought all SE's had rally gauges.  Looks like a pretty nice old car though.  Any idea what he is wanting for it? 

NHCharger

Quote from: no318 on November 26, 2006, 03:22:40 PM
  I thought all SE's had rally gauges.
Any idea what he is wanting for it? 

I thought all SE packages came with A/C?
I thought the vinyl roof trim was different but I had no pics to compare it to. I'm also thinking that the car was repainted a long time ago. There are no emblems on the car but the owner had purchased new ones to put on, their still in the trunk. He also bought new rocker mouldings that the current owner has in the garage. Also when I looked at the fender tag it did not have the regular phillips head screws that they used in the factory.
He has no idea what it's worth, that's why I'm asking for opinions.
I'm waiting for Nacho to chime in on the vinyl roof.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RD

the vinyl top is off, as well as the chrome drip mouldings.  those that have been put on there are from a car with rear roll down windows.  The SE's had shorter mouldings due to the "post" design of the vehicle.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

RD

also... addition, sorry:

hood is right, front grilles are correct for SE, but!  SE's were brougham interiors, not brougham there.  the vinyl roof placement is way off, but I do not see why someone would go through the heartache of putting those fiberglass window inserts in there, AND there is no A/C.  What is the VIN?  does it start off WP?  if not, then it is not an SE.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

NHCharger

Vin # WH23G4A197367.

This car was the original owners pride and joy. i wonder if it was in an accident early in it's life and he modified it to his liking ??? ???
Since this is turning out to be a pieced together car the figure of 5k i gave him as an estimated value is probably high.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RD

do the rear interior panels have cutouts for window cranks?

NHCharger

So many questions. I decided to call the owner to see if there was a build sheet under the seat. He just sold the car for $2,400.00. ::) He told me that he would give me last look on the car before he sold it.Even if this car was a conglomeration of parts, it's still well worth the selling price IMO. Boy, ya try to help some people and this is the thanks you get.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

74 Charger

:icon_smile_big:
I bought the car for $2,400 and it runs out nice.  I do believe I got a good deal.  It does need some work but the price makes it worth it.  The car is not an SE as it appears.  I am a GM (Pontiac / Olds) guy venturing out into Mopar.  Wish me luck.

NHCharger

Usually we ask newbies to post pics of their rides but we'll make an exception in your case ;)
You got a good deal on the car, even with it being a mishmash of parts. I'd like to know how or why Larry's brother did what he did to the car. after looking at the entire picture I still think it may have been in an accident a long time ago and the original owner put it back together as we now see it. As I mentioned above the fender tag does not have the original screws. sometimes the bodyshop would remove them while doing work or take them to the paint store to verify the paint codes.
Remove the back seat (bottom section), check for the build sheet between the springs and seat foam.
Welcome to the nut house. :wave:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

tecmopar

This is sooo odd. Here in town there is an old Lady, I think she told me she was 87. One day, about 2 years ago she came into the local supermarket, got her stuff and my son helped her out to the car, a '74 Charger. My son asked her if she would want to sell it and she said not right now. So he asked her if his Dad could look at it because he collects Mopars, sure she says and gives my son her address. We go over and look and its an all original '74 SE with 31,000 miles on it. After talking for a while she takes our name and # and tells us that when shes ready to sell it, we'll get the call. So now shes about 90 and I see the car about once a month and I just saw her the other day and was told, " the promise still stands, I didn't forget, but I still just love how comfortable the bucket seat is BUT I think I'm gonna get something a little smaller soon so I'll call you". This thing is PRISTINE, garage kept since new and shes had it detailed every 3 months since new. Boy, I really hope she comes through like she says, keep your fingers crossed. 

74 Charger

I'm guessing that the Leo liked the SE edition so he took his basic model Charger and added the SE emblems to it, bought the rocker moldings to make it look more like the SE, and added the vinyl top and window louvers.  Only a guess! 

When I repaint it I will go with the original color, but will probably try to get the correct vinyl set-up for the car (probably in white though). 

The car isn't here at my house but I parked it at a friends in Barrington right after I bought it.  When I was checking it out all of the body panels looked so straight and without bondo, so I question the accident theory, but I will look closer when I get it home.

I would love to find some rally (factory mags) for the car if you know where there is any.  If you know anybody with storage space let me know.  I would rather have it inside for the winter, if you know what I mean.

Lastly if you know a good place to score parts I would appreciate.  If you noticed one of the rear quarter wheel opening moldings was missing as well as a couple miscellaneous interior parts.  Do you know any good local bodymen / painters who would do a good job reasonably?

OK thats enough for one post. 

Rick

41husk

nice deal, parts cars or going for that kinda cash!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

twilt

Excellent deal for a low mileage car.  :yesnod: car will look a lot better minus the Opera window louvers and with some Rallye wheels installed.  :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

Not a real SE. Is rolling down windows, louvers and filler plug were added and top trim is running just along the filler plug. drip rail should be end at B pillar post area what In fact doesn't exist.

SE parts were added ( not complete by the way ). SE should it be WP29 and as stated that one is WH23, so no matter engine is a plain hardtop model, low equipped car... non A/C regular front bench 50% splitted and low back, different than other benchs with arm rest and highback buckets. It looks is rear deffog equipped.

I must  say that is REALLY NORMAL to see SEs with brougham package is not really directly associated. Brougham package is a different and separated package from the SE model. I have seen on web SEs with regular interiors and Hardtops/Coupes with Brougham package. IN FACT my car what is a Rallye hardtop got a Brougham Package from another Hardtop donor in Canada with aztec interior.

Anyway, Is not a bad deal, car looks in good conditions and looks a good project to make a Rallye clone, with only Hood problem because high prices. Rest of rallye parts are not hard to get ( cluster etc... ). I would pay no more than $4-5K IF REALLY has a good body.

By the way, even the car is a 74, the bumper guards are 73 kind.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

andy74

great score,and a new member to boot! id have grabbed that too,even if it meant more credit card intrest!!! :yesnod:

TruckDriver

So you know 74 Charger, Nacho is our resident "expert"  ;) here on third gen Chargers. Pretty good considering he doesn't even live in the states. Anyway, I am inviting you to come and take a look at our web site dedicated to and just for '71 to '74 Chargers. You can also register it in the registry. The site is not as active as this one, but we have our "perks" too. The link is scrolling on the bottom of my post. Would like to see you there too. Nice find by the way :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on November 27, 2006, 10:15:23 AM
I must  say that is REALLY NORMAL to see SEs with brougham package is not really directly associated. Brougham package is a different and separated package from the SE model. I have seen on web SEs with regular interiors and Hardtops/Coupes with Brougham package. IN FACT my car what is a Rallye hardtop got a Brougham Package from another Hardtop donor in Canada with aztec interior.

Talking about SEs WITHOUT brougham package:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-DODGE-CHARGER-RED-ON-BLACK-318-V8-SE-COUPE-NICE_W0QQitemZ220056112827QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html