News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TIME TO GRILLE

Started by SFbullitt, December 27, 2006, 03:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFbullitt

I started the deconstruction process of the grille tonight.  I started with the outer core and found an easier alternative to removing the rivets on the inner supports.  I used a small sharp chisel and it worked!  It was able to get in between the plastic and the frame without breaking anything!  I tried to use a side drill at first and couldn't get to it.  This method worked perfectly.  There is a pic at the bottom where you can see the chisel and angle that I used.  Almost EVERY bolt was frozen and they all pretty much broke off at the first turn.  I soaked them in WD 40 and it didn't help.  I ordered the kit with the new washers and bolts and I'm happy to have found it online.  I wet sanded the gray/black factory paint so it's perfectly smooth and ready for primer.  I will keep posting pics along the way.  One vacuum pod works, the other is dead.  Luckily, I have a spare.     :icon_smile_big:

SFbullitt

more pics..

Shakey

Take your time and be very gentle with that fragile and pricey part for your car.  If you do it right, it will looks fantastic when completed.

There are many threads on this site with regards to the restoration of these grilles, the products used and the processes involved.

I have posted a couple and so have many others.  I'm quite proud of my results with mine and a lot of the credit must go to other members that I learned from.

Good luck and be sure to post some progress pics.   :yesnod:

SFbullitt

Yeah Shakey, I saw the amazing job that you did.  Tonight I'm going to remove the lights, brakets and harnesses.  It looks like the old owner of the grille painted the frame with some weird thick paint.  I'm going to jasco/sand it off.  I will post stage 2 pics later.  Did you need to buy a new center I piece?  I need one as you can see in the pics.  I'm wondering if the finish is more on the chrome side than stainless.  If it is, I plan on making it dull with some 1000 grit to match the old stainless.

Shakey

Thanks for the compliment.

The grille trim is anodized aluminium.

I did need a new I piece.  Even though the reproduction pieces are available, I purchased a used one that had some dings and dents and sent it out for restoration / anodizing.  By the time I was done I had more into it than I would have if I had purchased a new one however the other pieces of grille trim were done by the same guy in CA so I wanted to have it all match.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bookedbydano

Yes take your time and it will turn out great. I did all mine even the dented trim and then buffed myself.  Some plastic repair and paint. Turned out like brand new and saved a ton of cash........

SFbullitt

Whoa that looks incredible!  I love that nice new coat of orange too!  After looking at your pic, I noticed that I'm missing one ground strap.  I jasco'd off the old paint tonight and found a bunch of rust under the old paint.  I took a  torch to the frame and scraped the rest of the old crap off with a wire brush....After it was cleaned, I primed it and shot a fresh coat of flat/satin black.  Even got to install two brand new headlights and bezels.  My silver grille paint, lower lip black and trim black should show up next week so I can get to the plastics. 

Did you paint the silver first or black?

I found a new center I at Charger Specialties.  I will be making the phone call in the morning for sure.  It's the only stainless piece that I need.  My new Charger emblems for the right headlight door showed up today.  Can't wait to slap those on!  more pics soon...

Charger-Bodie

be carful i was told that charger specialitys i piece is chromed plastic id get the oness from gunslinger or B E & A
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bookedbydano

I painted the silver first.  then mask it off then shoot black.  worked great!!!!  Looked just like the factory did it, probably better.  Good luck keep the photos coming..........

SFbullitt

I HOT 68- You're right.  I called Russ at Charger Specialties this morning and it is in fact plastic.  He's out of stock on it right now anyway.  After thinking about it, I'd rather penny up a few extra bucks for the stainless re-pod since I'd have to remove the whole grille to get it out later on.  Don't want to do that.

The PADDOCK had a new stainless one in stock....shipped to my door it was $190.  Can't believe how much these things are :flame:

Charger-Bodie

i just finished my grille i painted the black and the outer silver then i had a pro sign painter do the bars ect with a brush {cant tell it was done with a brush} it looks amazing the silver is so crisp and perfect that i cant even believe it ...the best part he only charged me 100.00 to do it  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

SFbullitt

Here are some updated on my grille project.  I painted the core's stilver first, then masked off the silver and shot the black lip.  Tuend out great.  I also used the SEM trim black on the intter fins and it's perfect.  I love spraying SEM products.  They rock.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

mikepmcs

crap now i wanna do mine!   >:(
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

70 Charger RT

Has anyone tried to convert the vacuum doors to electric like the 70s are?   I have a high performance motor which doesn't leave a lot of vacuum left for the headlight doors.

Thanks,
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

NorwayCharger

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on January 05, 2007, 11:32:19 PM
Has anyone tried to convert the vacuum doors to electric like the 70s are?   I have a high performance motor which doesn't leave a lot of vacuum left for the headlight doors.

Thanks,

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14432.0.html
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

440mag

Quote from: SFbullitt on December 29, 2006, 03:07:42 AM
I jasco'd off the old paint tonight and found a bunch of rust under the old paint.

What is jasco'd?
440mag

SFbullitt

Jasco paint remover.  Someone sprayed thicj back paint on the metal frame.  Only Jasco would remove it.

70 Charger RT

70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

jaak

looks good SFBullet!!!

Jason

Ghoste

It's looking good SF.  When I see the work people put into restoring the plastic grilles, it's one of the few times I like my diecast one.  The grille weighs about 3500 lbs on the fastbacks but restoring them is mainly masking and painting.

SFbullitt

I finished the painting.....sanding and painting and assembled the grill tonight.  I got all mew hardware and it looks great.  On the stainless, I started with the 2 (  ) C trim's on both end and left the front top and bottom nuts loose so that I can slide it into place.  On the Stainless I peice that I picked up from Paddock is great, but I had to grind a little off of all end tabs to get them to slide into the straight stainless pieces.  After that mod, it slid in nicely and I was able to line up the seems with a small flathead.  A little tweak here and there and it's nice.  On my stianless, I must have rubbed each piece with steel wool and blue corral for an hour while watching TV over a period of a week.  I'm happy with the result.  The stainless I matches nicely.  I highly recommend it.  Paddock- 189 shipped to my door.

SFbullitt

BEFORE AND AFTER

tan top

nice job (SFbullitt)   :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html