News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project '69 is Now.... **PAINTED '69!!!*** Updates w/pics!!

Started by bill440rt, January 13, 2007, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Well, after two solid years of doing metal & bodywork any spare moment I had, while trying to raise a family, maintain a home, work full time & also part-time on the weekends, has finally paid off. Project '69 was finally painted today!  :boogie:

The owner of a shop I am friendly with offered the use of his spray booth, so I had a good facility in which to paint. Last time I painted a car was back in '99 (my '70), but it was kinda like riding a bike.

With the help of some friends, we masked off the car last night, & rolled it into my trailer.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

I trailered the car to the body shop this morning, rolled it in, finished some last minute detail masking, & applied the sealer. We used PPG DP Gray/Green epoxy primer, mixed with a little of PPG's Gray DP to lighten it, & thinned as a sealer. Myself, along with a friend, "double-teamed" as painters & we sprayed 1 medium coat.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Next, we applied the basecoat. We used PPG's DBU base, FJ5 Sublime green.
Some of you may have remembered my previous post on the V21 hood treatment. The hood was sanded with 1000 & the stripes masked off again. We blended the base into the hood on our last coat, prior to clearing the car.
This is how the car looked based out.

bill440rt

I didn't get too crazy trying to paint the roof, as the car will be getting a vinyl top. Pretty much, 1 coat each of sealer, base, & clear just for coverage.

We used PPG's Concept 2000 for the clear. This is NOT cheap stuff, about $200 bucks a gallon.  :scared:  It is a 2-coat clear, but we gave it 4 coats since it wll be sanded & buffed. We used the DCX61 hardener and DT885 reducer. Flowed out real nice. Reflection on the hood is from the lights in the booth.

The car was baked at 145 degrees for 1/2 hour or so. The shop owner was kind enough to let me keep it in his booth to dry further until Monday morning. I'll be picking it up then & bringing it back home.

A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to some very members of this board: Kevin69RTvert, Just6T9 CHGR, & 69 OUR/TEA. Their help & information on some things was invaluable in this. Thanks, guys!

Charger-Bodie

you are just about to the fun part " assembly" looking real nice !!! :icon_smile_cool:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Shakey

Well done!  The paint job looks great from here and I love the colour too.   :yesnod:   :thumbs:

Ryan

thats going to look really nice when its assembled. WHat kind of wheels are you putting on it?
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Just 6T9 CHGR

Just got home Bill & got your message.......awesome job guys! :cheers:

Any time you need help assembling give me a call!

I'm glad you got some practice in before you do my car ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Silver R/T

nice color, very rare to see 2nd gen in sublime green. Nice job
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dads_69

Damn thats bright. From won painter to another, excellent job!
Theres a '69 SE here also that same color combo, I'll see if the guy will post some photos of his charger also.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

jaak

Back N Black

dodgeboy67

GOOD FOR YOU MAN.......NICE JOB.....GOOD TO SEE A PROJECT COME TOGETHER

moparjohn

Bill, your work, as always,  is fantastic!  I sure want you on my list of people to turn to when it comes time to re-do mine. Awsome work. PS if you need a hand w/reassembly let me know. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

69 OUR/TEA

Great job Bill !!!!,glad everything went well for you,keep the progress pics coming.

THE CHARGER PUNK

bill440rt

Wow, THANKS! It's nice to know hard work is appreciated here. I literally busted my hump on this car, which was really a former rot-box. Just 6T9 & moparjohn, I may even take you guys up on your offers of reassembly!  :D :2thumbs:  Expecially with the engine/trans. I don't have the means to come up from underneath like the factory, so I may just have to go the hack way from top to bottom. We'll see, but more hands are needed that way, I think.

I was able to go this morning to pick the car up & bring it home. My wife even helped me push it in the trailer!  :boogie:  I finished unmasking it tonite, here are some more pictures.

bill440rt

Here are a few more.

Hopefully in the next week or two I'll start dropping the front & rear suspensions & getting them ready for rebuilding, repainting, & detailing. Seems like a good place to start. That'll give the paint some time to cure a little more, then it can be sanded & buffed. It will need very little sanding, it actually flowed out very nicely with little or no orange peel.

jaak

Looks great!!!!!
Makes me eager to get mine painted!!!!

Jason

bill440rt

Ryan, you asked about wheels. Well, after some personal debate, I've actually decided on these Foose Challenger wheels. I know I may get tarred & feathered from some members here ( :no: ), but I really like them. They are a spinoff of the Rallye wheel, but more mag looking than the ones from Billet Specialties which I don't really like as much.
Foose used them on that '71 Challenger he did, & I personally liked the look of that wheel. I hope some members don't hate me for that, but it's just my opinion. I've just seen too many Vectors or 5-spoke Cragars & Torque Thrusts than I can handle. A moderinized hot rod, yet somewhat stock appearing with a twist, is the goal.

Mfr426

Bill, just got a good look at this paint. It looks fantastic! Nicely done!!!!! Also, nice trailer. I'm jealous.

:2thumbs:

plum500

Quote from: bill440rt on January 15, 2007, 10:00:49 PM
Ryan, you asked about wheels. Well, after some personal debate, I've actually decided on these Foose Challenger wheels. I know I may get tarred & feathered from some members here ( :no: ), but I really like them. They are a spinoff of the Rallye wheel, but more mag looking than the ones from Billet Specialties which I don't really like as much.
Foose used them on that '71 Challenger he did, & I personally liked the look of that wheel. I hope some members don't hate me for that, but it's just my opinion. I've just seen too many Vectors or 5-spoke Cragars & Torque Thrusts than I can handle. A moderinized hot rod, yet somewhat stock appearing with a twist, is the goal.

I think most of the problem with "Foosing" and modern rims has as much to do with the choice of tires as anything. It's the rubber band look I don't dig so much.

What size rims/tires are you going with? Car looks awesome :2thumbs:. I think that rim pattern looks pretty good -- not too much tribal pattern in there, and not too flimsy.

Then again though, judging by the pictures I also think it would look just as badass with some new BFGs and white steel rimsĀ  ;D

bill440rt

Quote from: plum500 on January 16, 2007, 08:13:41 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on January 15, 2007, 10:00:49 PM

I think most of the problem with "Foosing" and modern rims has as much to do with the choice of tires as anything. It's the rubber band look I don't dig so much.

What size rims/tires are you going with? Car looks awesome :2thumbs:. I think that rim pattern looks pretty good -- not too much tribal pattern in there, and not too flimsy.

Then again though, judging by the pictures I also think it would look just as badass with some new BFGs and white steel rims  ;D

Hi Plum500,
I understand your concerns with the "rubber band" look, that seems to run with the majority consensus with other members as well. That's OK, I have 15" Centerlines with 295/50 BFGs on the back on my '68. LOVE the look. My '70 is bone-stock. For this '69, I just want something different, something on the modern side. The car is being built to DRIVE: handle, stop, steer, A/C, etc, not to hook up & run on the drag strip.
These Foose wheels will only be available in the larger sizes 17, 18, & 20s. I really wanted 19s in the back as a happy medium, but that unfortunately is not a choice. I saw some Chargers with 19s this past year at Carlisle, the look was nice. I will probably go with 20s rear/18's front, or 18s rear/17s front, or 18s all around. I can get a 20" tire the same size or a tad taller than my 295/50 BFG's, which will fill the wheelwell nicely & not give a rubber band look.
So far, I'm looking at these Goodyears:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

However, they may be a little too short so I might look for something similar in a slightly taller size. Also, if a car sits too high with these tall wheels, it won't look right.

PocketThunder

:o   :o   :o  Excellent work!  I can see why you will have guys knocking on your door to work on their cars next.  Damn that is nice.  And i love the hood treatment.  Its something you dont see on every Charger. 

And i love your choice of wheels.  I went 17's on my 68 and they ride nice and look good. 

:2thumbs:  from Paul in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."