News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ophso ?

Started by mridolfo, January 23, 2007, 10:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mridolfo

Hi, everyone. 

Is ophso the stuff that you use to wipe down bare metel before you paint ?

jaak

no its a rust converter.

Jason

mridolfo

What do I use use to wipe down bare metel ?

jaak

I would just use Laquer thinner.

Jason

hemihead

Grease,Tar, and Wax remover is what it's called but thinner works in a pinch. :icon_smile_big:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

mridolfo

Ok, So after I have my car dipped I should wipe it down with wax / grease remover and prime over that ?

Thanks
Mike

dads_69

Do not use wax grease remover on metal. You will contaminate it by doing so. Use DX1791 and DX 1792 before you put any type of DP sealer on the car. Put your primer on, however many coats you prefer, then do your body work. Do not put filler/bondo on before either, it will swell up if you don't do what I recommend first. If you need to do any type of whipping down before you spray any metal protectant. Use DX520 metal conditioner using a red scotch brite, then rinse off with warm water, dry the car w/air hose, let dry over night preferably. Then do the steps. I wanted to mention also that you will want to prep the car with 80 grit by DA sander before you apply anything to it after you get it back from being dipped.
Body man/painter 20 plus years. Any other questions Mike I'll help you out.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

mridolfo

Dads_69

Just to clear things up. Can you tell me in step form what I shoud do. I am going to use dupont epoxy primer. couse I am going to use Dupont top coat.

dads_69

I don't have as much Dupont advice vs. PPG. I have a manual at work to help you out though since the shop uses Dupont. I myself am not sure the exact material is needed. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in with more info. sooner than I.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

mridolfo

Cool.

I do have a few of gallons of DPHS52 and DEP351 primers, but I'm not sure is it will cause problem with the dupont high build primers, and top coats.

mopar_madman

go to the www.autobodystore.com forum there are dupont users there
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger