News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best tool for sanding down to metal?

Started by 1BAD68, March 14, 2007, 08:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

what tool requires the least effort and works the fastest to sand down factory paint to metal?
I'm using a electric disk sander with 220 grit right now and it seems to take forever, no I dont have a compressor yet.

MOPARHOUND!

I'm an amateur myself, but I've heard a lot of guys recommending 80 grit, with some liking 120.

Too coarse, and you will gouge the metal.  Too fine, and you will not have a rough enough surface for the paint to "bite" and stick to, and be seemingly forever getting the paint off.

Technique is important to.  Spend of the sander should not be too high.  Also, stay too long in one spot, and you will heat up the metal, clogging your disk quickly.  You also risk warping the body panel.

Another school of thought says save the wear and tear on your hands, elbows, and shoulders, and use chemical strippers.  Problem with the strippers are the bad fumes, corrosive to your skin (will burn you), and the big mess they make you get to clean up.

Here is a short "Stripping Paint" thread that touches on both ways (though I'd question using 40 grit, too coarse?):

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=3167448&Searchpage=1&Main=3167165&Words=%26quot%3B80+grit%26quot%3B&topic=&Search=true#Post3167448

Here is an experienced auto body man's recommendations:

http://www.autobodystore.com/strip_&_paint.htm

They also sell the tools and supplies mentioned in the article:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SPAR
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

GTX

Personally I've used Aircraft Stripper available at paint stores and had great results although it's messy. The stuff has gone up in price and now it's about $30.00 a gallon or more times about 5 gallons or so. You also MUST wear a respirator or at least a filter mask and very heavy duty rubber gloves. It eats latex like nothing and chemical burns can be really nasty and painful.

You also need to dispose of it properly. Even though some don't like it I love it. I've used it to strip my airplane and 3 cars as well as motorcycle gas tanks for painting. I always go to bare steel and then work back up from there so I know what I have for a base. Just don't put it over fiberglass, it'll soften filler and fiberglass.

Costs a bit but saves a boat load of time and labor.

41husk

I am stripping the quarters on the 73 now.  I started with 120 and found it to be very slow and time consuming, stuck some 80 on the old DA and it cuts right through all about 12 layers of paint.  any scratches on the metal will be covered by a high fill epoxy primer.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger-Bodie

try to get most of it with the 80 grit on a elec. sander and move around alot to avoid creating alot of heat when you have the bulk of it off move to the 120 and then go over it with a da sander with 180 or 220 this will provide a nice surface to spray epoxy onto .............i would try to say away from chemical strippers if you can UNLESS its something with no seams or you are very carful not to get it in the seams reason being is that its corrosive and if you cant get it out of the seam it will hurry the rusting process
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

CharlieCharger

what about a 4.5 angle grinder with one of those 3m pads?
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

K9COP

Have it sand/soda blasted.. it's the only way. Be careful though, as too much media will profile the metal.

Paul
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: CaymanSublime on March 15, 2007, 01:55:48 AM
Have it sand/soda blasted.. it's the only way. Be careful though, as too much media will profile the metal.

Paul

this is the best method if youre not "doing it youreself" buti kinda assumed you are i would highly rcomend sand blast pretty much everything except the outer sheetmetal and when i say outher sheetmetal that includes the back side of the panels too dont sand blast them of they WILL warp
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

41husk

I have used a sand blaster, but I have found it very tough to get all the sand out and when you go to prime the piece you get some of the media comming out of cracks and crevices
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

K9COP

Yep, good advice both, you do need to be careful, and make sure someone who knows what they're doing carries out the media blasting. Also, needs much much clearing up... worth it for the finish though..

Paul

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

CharlieCharger

Not to hijack the question, but I was actually asking one too I suppose..would it be ok to use a 4.5 with a 3m scotch brite pad ..and be careful not to etch the metal or heat build up?
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

BlueSS454

I have all my stcars sandblasted now.  I've sanded 3 cars down by hand, no more.  It's easier toload itup and haul it off to the blaster.  Check into Soda blasting if you don't have any major rust issues.  There are some mobile blasters out there.  However, if you still want to sand the car yourself, use a DA and 40 grit to rip the paint off down to the original primer if it's still there.  40 grit won't do any damage to the metal as long as it is on a DA and not a regular grinder.
Tom Rightler

The70RT

I plan to have mine blasted. I was quoted 500 for a mobile soda job. That only covered the outer shell and would be a few hundered more for a total job. Does anyone know if that sounds about right? I heard you can rinse the car and the soda disolves so it dont get blown out when it gets paint. There is a place that opened a few months ago near me and I haven't contacted them. I heard they do metal work and they put both rear quarters, trunk and did some rear window rust for 2500  :o. I am gonna go check the car out. I already did most of my metal though. A good longtime bodyman I know said it was a good job. Sounds to good to be true.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BlueSS454

I paid $700 or $750 when I had my 69 sandblasted.  I took it to them on a rotisserie as a bare shell, nothing left bolted on.  They did the body inside and out, both doors, both fenders, and the grille support.  I did not have them do the hood or trunk lid because I didn't want them warped since I can't replace them.
Tom Rightler

41husk

I had the parts I could remove acid dipped cost me $45 for the hood, $35 for fender, $25 per piece for front and back valance and deck lid.  I am DA ing the quarters and doors to bare metal.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

The70RT

Quote from: BlueSS454 on March 15, 2007, 10:15:23 PM
I paid $700 or $750 when I had my 69 sandblasted.  I took it to them on a rotisserie as a bare shell, nothing left bolted on.  They did the body inside and out, both doors, both fenders, and the grille support.  I did not have them do the hood or trunk lid because I didn't want them warped since I can't replace them.
Quote from: 41husk on March 16, 2007, 07:45:13 AM
I had the parts I could remove acid dipped cost me $45 for the hood, $35 for fender, $25 per piece for front and back valance and deck lid. I am DA ing the quarters and doors to bare metal.

Thanks guys. Mine is on a rottisorie now. It is 20' long on it. I would have to go rent a big trailer. I got time to think about it. I am still doing some metal work. Sorry to hijack this thread....carry on ;D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

K9COP

Hi guys, my landlord on the island runs a media blasting and painting firm (sweet). He quoted me CI$25 per sack of soda, and CI$6 per sack of sand. As we've discussed, soda is much more gentle, so can be used (with a skilled operator) without damage.
1US$ = 0.8CI$

He's well into the project, and will do the whole car for me.. he said 6 sacks to do the entire outside..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)