News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-chroming bumpers

Started by tburns, December 26, 2006, 04:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tburns

Any estimate of what it costs to have the front / back bumper rechromed for a '71 Charger?

NHCharger

Tri-City Plating did mine. $ 440.00 each with a $130.00 core charge for each bumper.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chgr500

Don't forget re chroming a third gen bumper is equivalent to doing two of any other model of Charger, well maybe a '70 front is comparable....Gotta love that wrap around design.

Quote from: NHCharger on December 26, 2006, 09:22:38 PM
Tri-City Plating did mine. $ 440.00 each with a $130.00 core charge for each bumper.

Soooo $570 to re chrome?  They have cores for these cars???...so they didn't use your original bumpers??

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: chgr500 on December 27, 2006, 12:00:33 AM
Don't forget re chroming a third gen bumper is equivalent to doing two of any other model of Charger, well maybe a '70 front is comparable....Gotta love that wrap around design.

Soooo $570 to re chrome?  They have cores for these cars???...so they didn't use your original bumpers??

im not sure but i think he means that if you dont have a core its extra by 130.00......but i would never use a rechrome bumper that you didnt test fit , i always test fit them before sending them out for chrome its an extra step but if you dont it may never case you a problem but it sometimes can bite you......
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

plum500

Yeah... I'm going with paint because of $$ in my neck of the woods for my '71. NS, Canada. Only one game in town, long wait times, and they want 650$ CAN and I supply the core -- and that's the ol ' "unless we find it's in need of a little more work" price....

Charger-Bodie

by thr way if anyone is planning on have any chrome plating done in the near future ,you better act soon as sometime in 2k7 they are implementing some stupid new laws about the plants that handle the plating and the price is going to go up due to the fact that some of the smaller operations will not survive ...just a heads up!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

jaak

i got a quote from 2 local places in NW Alabama, both wanted around 475 each to rechrome, and thats for a 2nd gen charger, yours are larger so I assume it would be more. But since I got the quote, repops have come out for 300 each so I'll probably go that route.

Good Luck
Jason

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: jaak on December 27, 2006, 02:18:17 PM
i got a quote from 2 local places in NW Alabama, both wanted around 475 each to rechrome, and thats for a 2nd gen charger, yours are larger so I assume it would be more. But since I got the quote, repops have come out for 300 each so I'll probably go that route.

Good Luck
Jason

just to let you know when the repops came out about 3yrs ago i got front and reas for my 68 that i had at the time they were as close to perfect asthey could be but acouple months ago my cousin got a repop rear for his 70 and it was crap ...im not sure what the deal is if the dies are worn that much already or what but because of that im having mine rechromed this time around :Twocents:

bordin34

Just dont go t obumper boys I have heard and seen their chrome flake off in about 2 years.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

NHCharger

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 27, 2006, 12:24:38 AM
Quote from: chgr500 on December 27, 2006, 12:00:33 AM

im not sure but i think he means that if you dont have a core its extra by 130.00......but i would never use a rechrome bumper that you didnt test fit , i always test fit them before sending them out for chrome its an extra step but if you dont it may never case you a problem but it sometimes can bite you......

Yeah, I didn't word that very well, did I.
I paid $440.00 for each bumper. When I ship the old ones back I will get a credit of $ 130.00 each. So the actual cost is $ 310.00 each.
I had the rear on my 71 done ten years ago by a local company so it was not a core deal.
In April 2001 I bought a re-chromed front bumper for my 72 from Stephen's Performance for $ 362.00. They told me they would credit me $75.00 for my old one. After waiting a month after sending my core back I received a letter from them saying my core was too pitted to plate. After calling and arguing with Ted himself he said he would gladly ship my old one back to me, as long as I paid the shipping and handling cost, roughly $75.00  ::) what an ass.
hot68, I hear what your saying about no fitting the bumper first. However so far two out of the three bumpers I bought have fit. Still haven't mounted my new front bumper on my 71.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

jaak

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 27, 2006, 02:41:38 PM
Quote from: jaak on December 27, 2006, 02:18:17 PM

Good Luck
Jason

just to let you know when the repops came out about 3yrs ago i got front and reas for my 68 that i had at the time they were as close to perfect asthey could be but acouple months ago my cousin got a repop rear for his 70 and it was crap ...im not sure what the deal is if the dies are worn that much already or what but because of that im having mine rechromed this time around :Twocents:

Thanks for the heads up, I had only heard good things about them

gremlinsteve

254.00 each for my 67 b body from dc bumper in dallas. they re-chromed and straightened both of mine and they still look good.

steve

chgr500

Just got an estimate today...$350 cdn for the front bumper on a '71.....no repairs required

K9COP

I know there's no substitute for chrome, but I'm gonna paint mine, firstly because there's no chromers on the island, and second because I think it updates the look a little.
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

Nacho-RT74

I paid around $100 each down here and still looks AWESOME... that was around year and a half ago.

My votes always will be CHROMED not painted, not just because the looks, what I think is great, like chrome is more durable and resistant to small schratches and there is no posibility of chips ( unless a bad job ).

I'm byassed on chromes since I like a lot the old fashiosn 50s cars look
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

daytonalo

If your going to paint them , weld the bolts on , nice smooth look .