News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body Plugs

Started by yellocharge68, March 21, 2007, 05:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellocharge68

I have looked at some of the threads after searching, and just want to know. What do you use to lock the body plugs in place, I ordered a kit with various sizes, most of mine are towards the trunck and rear passenger seat area that have been removed. Looks like the previous owner used aluminium foil and  for lack of a better description " GOOP" to seal all the old stuff I have since removed.  Any ideas, suggestions or experience cheerfully accepted and appreciated.
Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

The70RT

My factory ones had no sealer other than undercoating on the bottom side.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mikepmcs

I thought that too.  They serve a purpose right???

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

as long as the hole is in good condition the plugs will be self sealing
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Hemidog

i dont see the purpose if they are never removed
rusted holes over here  :flame:

resq302

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 21, 2007, 09:04:08 PM

The body plugs were installed as when these cars were new, they went through a series of dipping tanks that had primers and cleaners.   The various placed holes were drains to let the excess primer paint and cleaners drain out.  Once they were installed, there was no real reason why you would need to remove them since the cars were designed to be leak free.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

gtx6970

Quote from: resq302 on March 22, 2007, 04:49:00 AM
Quote from: mikepmcs on March 21, 2007, 09:04:08 PM

The body plugs were installed as when these cars were new, they went through a series of dipping tanks that had primers and cleaners.   The various placed holes were drains to let the excess primer paint and cleaners drain out.  Once they were installed, there was no real reason why you would need to remove them since the cars were designed to be leak free.

Some were for access to an otherwise inaccesable fastener, but mostly for the above

chargerguy111

Who has the most complete set of body plugs for a 68 Dodge Charger?Thanks.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemi-hampton

These are usually a tight fit so no sealing needed. LEON.

jaak

I had a guy tell me that back in the day, they removed the plugs out of their trunks so when the weekend came they would load up the trunk with ice and beer, so with the plugs removed, as the ice melted it would drain out, lol.

Jason

daytonalo

On a 69 where the plugs installed then painted or should they be installed after the body is in color ??

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: daytonalo on November 26, 2008, 01:19:23 AM
On a 69 where the plugs installed then painted or should they be installed after the body is in color ??
Unpainted.....this is an unrestored trunk
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

chargerguy111

Thanks Mikepmcs.Looks like a great kit!