News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Silver R/T body work

Started by Silver R/T, May 12, 2007, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

I dont think any of you guys know what you are talking about.

:popcrn:

Todd

Todd Wilson

Silver R/T

Quote from: moparguy01 on May 13, 2007, 10:27:59 PM
the hacking part is how he's removing it really. at least me. I just really hope he doesnt need that old 1/4 for a pattern of anything. cause its pretty much worthless right now. Also, you want as little welding as possible. welds make heat, heat distorts panels. So the more heat, the worse the chance of warpage. see what i'm saying here? what it looked like originally was that he hacked the center of the panel out, leaving that lower edge. I've never heard of anybody doing it the he is, every bodyman i've ever heard of drills out the spot welds or grinds them off (grind the welds instead of cutting them if you arent trying to save the panel) Now he's saying he has a second panel for the top section, which means he's going to have a weld the length of the 1/4, and chargers have LOOONG 1/4 panels. plus a second long weld, plus the weld on the bottom.

Like i said though, it looked like he was saying that lower lip of the 1/4, which would mean he had a extra weld the length of the 1/4. If he had that many welds he'd probably need as much body filler as what you can see in the pics above. also it looks like the trunk extension is shot, and probably the outer wheel well housing. again I cant see much without being there in person.

I guess both myself and Mark see it as being hacked up bad, and no offense silver, but I sure hope you can get it back together right.

This guy replaced his 1/4 same way, I dont see you complaining about it
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28547.0.html
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: im just amazed you posted pics of your charger after three years and used punctuation...
WAY TO GO CHAMP!!

BTW:

I sent ya' an e-mail for that stainless you were looking for back in Oct. still need it?.

moparguy01

Thats cause he didnt do it the same way scooter. Look at these pics here. 1 of his, 2 of yours. If you dont see the difference you really need to get your eyes checked.

Notice on the one above there is no lip on the bottom of the 1/4 panel. He has removed the whole 1/4 panel.  This is the correct way to do it.

Now notice how this is hacked to all hell, and still has 1/2 the quarter on the car, as well as that lower lip.

So you can see I didnt get after him because whoever did that 1/4 did it right, and wasnt hacking the shit out of it.

Silver R/T

are you getting the @$#(*U$ point or not? Im not going to keep the lower lip. I quickly cut off the bulk of the 1/4 to have access from both sides. Read this sentence again, until you fully understand it. I'm surprised you were born here and haven't learned how to read yet, imo. Btw, Dad's 69 needs some spelling lessons also :)

Brock I do need the stainless, how's the condition of it?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

Wow kid. I never said you werent taking that part off, I'm SAYING YOUR A DAMN HACK! Go find a new career you damn MAACO prep guy. Jesus christ you try to help a guy and he starts saying shit like you are to us.

YOU COMPLETELY HACKED UP THAT CAR. oh forget it, go learn how to do bodywork. You obviously need to either apprentice under somebody who is worth a shit or go to a college auto body 101. cause you sure the hell dont know how to do it right.

READ THAT UNTIL YOU CAN #%()*#$(* UNDERSTAND IT. ya jackass.

dads_69

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 14, 2007, 08:44:17 PM
are you getting the @$#(*U$ point or not? Im not going to keep the lower lip. I quickly cut off the bulk of the 1/4 to have access from both sides. Read this sentence again, until you fully understand it. I'm surprised you were born here and haven't learned how to read yet, imo. Btw, Dad's 69 needs some spelling lessons also :)

Brock I do need the stainless, how's the condition of it?
Silver, I'm  through trying to help you, and what words can't you understand of mine also? Your not doing a very good job of taking leasons here, but so be it. You seem to have all the knowledge you need to repair your piece of shit so I will now bow out and let you begin your restoration with no help from me, after 20 plus years, I think I've learned a few tricks that you'll never learn with your stubbornness, I mean with your head up your ass so far.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Todd Wilson

hemi-hampton

I've seen it done Silvers way many times. It makes it easier to get to the edges this way. I had the impression it was just a rough first cut & edges were coming off later as he explained. BUT, If he was to leave the edges then Yes, this would definately be HACK work & wrong & unprofessional. I think he knows what he doing, Maybe?. Also, before these new full 1/4's came out what did you have before anyways, Cheap garbage poor fit, bottom half of a 1/4 garbage aftermarket. I've seen 1/4's put over the top of other 1/4's with out the old one even being cut off, Talk about Hack. LEON.

Mike DC

The taillight panel goes over the valance panel originally.

But the new rear valances are typical pieces of reproduction shite that don't cover up to anywhere near where the factory seams were. 
Definitely get the new repro valance laying on the ground in front of you before you cut the car's old metal in that area.

Brock Samson

it's the rear trunk lip piece & it's perfect,..   :icon_smile_wink: send me your mailing address..
good luck with your endevor... in anycase,..  :pity:

BB1

Delete my profile

Troy

I don't suppose you guys know where to get a full quarter do you? If Silver needs to replace the *top* of the quarter then there's no other way currently (that I know of) to do that without using two pieces - a cut off, used part from a donor for the top and a repro quarter skin for the side. Yes, there will be a long weld down the side but every quarter replacement I've ever seen has had that weld because that's all the metal you get.

So maybe there's a better way to cut the old one off the car but it's not nearly as bad as I've seen (I'd have left the marker light hole personally). I actually took my floors out in little strips to be sure I didn't cut anything I wasn't supposed to (I'm overly cautious). The previous owner of my black car cut all the way around the rear body line and the welded the corners and bottom of the body (not the spot welds). The previous owner of my Barracuda used the hack-a-hole-and-overlap-the-metal-while-beating-with-a-hammer method. Both suck and will need to come back apart. I'd have been ecstatic if they had gone through this much effort.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dkn1997

Boy, this got ugly in a hurry.....I applaud silver for actually working on his car instead of the old "I am gonna fix 'er up some day" 

Keep posting pics, I love watching them come apart and go back together.
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on May 16, 2007, 10:53:49 AM
I don't suppose you guys know where to get a full quarter do you? If Silver needs to replace the *top* of the quarter then there's no other way currently (that I know of) to do that without using two pieces - a cut off, used part from a donor for the top and a repro quarter skin for the side. Yes, there will be a long weld down the side but every quarter replacement I've ever seen has had that weld because that's all the metal you get.

So maybe there's a better way to cut the old one off the car but it's not nearly as bad as I've seen (I'd have left the marker light hole personally). I actually took my floors out in little strips to be sure I didn't cut anything I wasn't supposed to (I'm overly cautious). The previous owner of my black car cut all the way around the rear body line and the welded the corners and bottom of the body (not the spot welds). The previous owner of my Barracuda used the hack-a-hole-and-overlap-the-metal-while-beating-with-a-hammer method. Both suck and will need to come back apart. I'd have been ecstatic if they had gone through this much effort.

Troy

Thanks Troy, glad someone actually reads and understand what Im attempting to do and doesn't tell me how many years they've been chopping up cars.
Ive got repro rear valance its pretty accurate except these two holes in the top, no idea what they're for. (possibly drain holes???)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

ya your attempting to repair a car but in reality your just HACKING it up. You take digs at me like you just did and I'll do it right back. I read it fine. I just realize your doing a half assed job AT BEST.

chicken-deluxe

Here are a few pix of my Charger in Progress.  may shed some light...

BMOTOXSTAR

Wow,
  This is a brutal thread. I think an arm wrestling match is in order here. :pity: :pity:
Thank god I did not post any of my body work pic's, you guys would have chewed me a new hole.
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

chicken-deluxe

another

chicken-deluxe

next, should be similar on 68.   a few sheet metal screw to hold in place

chicken-deluxe

The holes you may speaking of are the bumper bracket holes.   They align with the support in the trunk.   You w1ll have to radius them for the bolts, as the last 2 valences I did don't fit perfect.  It is a good piece though.   Keep at it.   I have alot of work ahead of me still.    Just finshing hte pass outer wheel house and preparing to hang 1/4.   

Silver R/T

No i was talking about these holes. My original valance didn't have them

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Todd Wilson

Todd Wilson