News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Metal Repro Parts Sample Pictures

Started by jsampsell, June 14, 2007, 10:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardo

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: jsampsell on July 03, 2007, 10:43:55 AM
Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 03, 2007, 09:29:34 AM
Oooh! Fenders....

It looks like mostly skin. That means we have to move a lot of the "innards" from existing fenders. Yes? No?

dodgecharger-fan,

Thanks for asking this question!  What you see are just the prototype/samples that arrived to take to the Carlisle show this weekend.  The final product will be the full fender with the inner structure.  It will be a full OE-style fender when it goes on sale.  Great question.

Jeremy Sampsell
Auto Metal Direct

I'm glad I asked.

Where so I send the cheque?
or better yet, do you take payment in empties? That'd make my wife happy in two ways... no more empties and nothing out of the bank account.

Charger_Fan

Man, all those new parts are just a thing of beauty...I think I may have to steady myself here. :faint:
Like Bull stated, I really didn't think I'd live to see these kinds of parts available new again either. All those one piece floor pans & the inner wheel wells & the fenders & the hoods, oh my! :notworthy:

Quote from: bullit68 on July 03, 2007, 08:41:38 AMplease everyone STOP parting out the rusty cars or you'll be sorry later when all the parts arrive!
I've DEFINITELY stopped any intentions of parting out mine.  :icon_smile_approve:
Let's see here, my shopping list for my parts car will include;
Both quarters, tail panel, rear valance, trunk floor, rear window patch panels, full front floor pans, hood, left inner fender, both front fenders & a front valance. That's it, I'll worry about a non-cracked grille & straighter front bumper later! :icon_smile_big:
Now I just need a VIN tag... :scratchchin:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

runningman

Jeremy told me they were going to do roofs as well

Lowprofile

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on July 03, 2007, 06:29:09 PM
Hey there are tons of 1970 Charger owners just waiting for some hoods and fenders also!
Those should be the next parts you make! :cheers:   :yesnod:

And Front Valances! Mine is twisted like a pretzel.  :icon_smile_angry:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

twenty mike mike

Quote from: jsampsell on July 03, 2007, 10:26:03 AM

The hood will be almost exactly the same gauge - at least within a milimeter or two. 

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct

How thick is a typical OEM fender, hood or door skin? Seems that the difference should be within a micron or two, not millimeters.  :icon_smile_question: Dunno...educate me.

Mike DC

As I understand it, they were originally stamped from sheets of about 18-gauge steel (.048").  Although after the stamping process, any given body panel would probably mic-out a little thinner than that just from the stretching.

But the thickness of the raw sheetmetal is only half the deal.  A major part of the reason that the typical repro parts feel so flimsy is because they steel is so much lower in quality.  If the steel was the same as the original stuff, then the overall difference from old-to-new would be a LOT less noticeable.

chargerhunter

I bought a '69 tailpanel from AMD and it is PERFECT!!!!! We owe this guy big time!! $399 for a NEW TAIL PANEL!!!!!!!!!!! No rust holes the size of your fist to repair!  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

Khyron

Although I am one of the very few people that is fortunate enough not to need any new steel. I must say that I comend you on the awesome look of that product and not charging $2400 per quarter. I posted my disgust with those prices in the thread for those.

If the price is right. I would buy a set of fenders just to have them, as well as a few other odds and ends.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Khyron on July 05, 2007, 07:40:17 AM

If the price is right. I would buy a set of fenders just to have them, as well as a few other odds and ends.

Not a bad idea, stock up on some parts in case you have an accident, God forbid.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger1973

Great looking stuff!  Fenders, wow I was starting to think that would never happen for some reason...  Im tired of the E-body getting all the repro parts and nothing for the Chargers. 

Quote from: 69charger2002 on June 14, 2007, 11:34:14 AM
great news! thanks for making us new parts and keep us updated! also.. as a reminder. don't listen to these 71-74 people who think their cars need new parts. ONLY listen to 68-70 owners.. lol just kidding

trav

:slap: ;D

Us 3rd gen guys need a few select parts but our cars arent usually as rusted as the 2nd gens, I would say in general we need...

Bulge hoods
Quarter panels
Rear valance with exhaust cutouts
Fenders
Trunk Lids
...and possibly the rear floorpans.  I heard they were going to be available but havent seen any yet. 

warriorbass05

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 05, 2007, 09:28:15 AM
Quote from: Khyron on July 05, 2007, 07:40:17 AM

Not a bad idea, stock up on some parts in case you have an accident, God forbid.

can't hurt!!!!

chargerrt

welp...looks like its time to buy a project car...those parts are nice!!!! :yesnod:

Dave22443

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: jsampsell on June 14, 2007, 10:23:54 AM
Hey folks!  I just wanted to update you on the new products Auto Metal Direct has currently available and on the way for the 68-70 Chargers.  There has already been a post about the 69-70 tail light panel.  We also have the trunk lock support, trunk gutters and bumpers available with the deck filler panel coming in the next 3 weeks.  By this fall, we should have many other products including full OE-style quarter panels.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I'm happy to answer them as best as I can.  I will probably not be able to answer questions about timeframes and pricing simply because the production process can be delayed and pricing is not given to me until after the parts are approved for production and are on their way to us.  By the way, I also forgot to tell you that we have a complete licensed glass program coming soon, too.

Again, any questions are welcome.

Jeremy Sampsell
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

So, Jeremy-Are you going to make '70 Hoods and Fenders?   I'm about to start welding up the rust and beating out the dents on mine, but If I can just wait a few months and buy nice new ones I'd rather do that...I'm not asking for a timeline or even a price at this point...I just need to know if you PLAN to make them... :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

BrianShaughnessy

Checked out the prototype stuff at their display at Carlisle today... this stuff is looking good.  :2thumbs:

I'll post the pics when I get time.   I just got home not long ago.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Corellian Corvette

The pics on the first page are all red X - anyone save them and can re-post?!?  :cheers:

BrianShaughnessy

Here's some pics...   like I said... looks like nice stuff.     The 2nd gen fenders will have the innards installed for the production pieces also.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

68rustbucket

Man that sheet metal looks nice!
will you guys be at car craft summer nationals?

Dan T

Lookin great guys!!  :2thumbs:

Will you be at the 'Nats in Aug??
1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

bull

I'm surprised no one has called for a group buy yet. Oh, maybe I just did.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: bull on July 09, 2007, 11:22:29 AM

Not yet bull, wait till I have some money  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

Dave22443

I guess in this case, it would have to be a group "pre-order"   :smilielol:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

gordo1968charger

i m lucky i do nt need any sheet metal.but its good to know its out there if i have a bump!!!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Troy

Quote from: bull on July 09, 2007, 11:22:29 AM
No one had to... but I haven't had time to post any details yet.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.