News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V10 Charger (Update 5/25/21)

Started by GT, June 21, 2007, 01:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richf

1968 Charger 318/904 project
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700
2007 Ford Crown Victoria P71

Poor college student

Musicman

I was asking myself the same thing just the other day.  :popcrn:

lukedukem

He hasn't. Been online since November of 2016. Hope all is well

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

BDF

I also hope all is well. I was enjoying the build... :popcrn:

GT

Yes the build is fine.  I'll post some pics on an update - tons of minor/nagging items done with running lines, brackets, etc.  Basically at the body work stage now...
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

BDF

Thanks for the update & glad all is well!  :2thumbs:

GT

This is more of a bump than an update as someone was asking questions about v10 install in a 2nd gen.

But, attached are a couple of close up pics... this was after applying raptor liner.

One is a tease - the front spring mounting area... see if you can tell whats going on.
2012 Charger SRT8

richf

Glad to see progress, awesome job
1968 Charger 318/904 project
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700
2007 Ford Crown Victoria P71

Poor college student

Musicman

Spring relocation?
Thanks for the update! :cheers:

keepat

Looks like you set it up for some side exhaust.
Very cool!
Pat

GT

Yes sir!   That was fun sectioning out that part of the frame and torque boxes to add inner support and the 4" Dia 3/8" thick pipe.
I'll have 3" Dia stainless oval tubing exiting there with an interesting look to it... 
2012 Charger SRT8

ChargedNJ

Hey GT. I have so many questions as my build is finally underway. Let me know how we might get in contact (assuming that's ok with you).

ChargedNJ

It haaaaas begun!! :)

Ryan.C

There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

darbgnik

Quote from: ChargedNJ on November 26, 2018, 01:03:25 PM
It haaaaas begun!! :)

Seeing as the Ram is a quad cab, are you going to be leaving the automatic behind it? Or grab a T56 or TR6060?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

ChargedNJ

Definitely going manual, so T56 or TR6060.  Unfortunately no use for the auto that's in it now. I had a good lead on a regular cab with a supercharger/manual for only $16k and I let it slip away, oh well!

Ryan.C

I got my Viper T56 from http://donscharfautomotive.com/ a few years back. I had it shipped from WI to ID on a pallet for $1,700 total. It was out of a 2004 with 15K on it. 
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

GT

Cool - Start a dedicated thread for your build - we need more of them (I think this would make the 3rd, or 4th V10 charger build thread).

Your ram was in better shape than the one I picked up.  Save *everything* and part out what you don't need. 

2012 Charger SRT8

Paul G

Quote from: GT on November 27, 2018, 03:07:25 PM
  Save *everything* and part out what you don't need. 

Absolutely. Those trucks are not common and parts are not easy to get.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ChargedNJ

So an update here. I got the motor out and am having some major 2nd thoughts, due to...ready for it?  Sound.

I'm pretty inexperienced and just assumed you could make a v10 sound like a v8 via exhaust/cam. Turns out not so much, so I'm seriously considering flipping the motor and going the 426 route.

GT

Yeah i went through that too.  they can sound wicked with nice exhaust and cam. But never the v8 sound.  And they don't have the sounds of the exotic v10's either...(odd firing vs. even firing).

v8 would be easier/cheaper to install too.

2012 Charger SRT8

ChargedNJ

At least the cross plane and odd fire give it an aggressive, rumbly idle. When it's all said & done, the motor will have cost me only 3500, so for 500hp and reliable efi.  Since I'm going full frame and them aware of the motor (steering rack will go under) I'm hoping the incremental fab work is limited to firewall and custom mounts. Where it will be tricky is wiring as you pointed out, but that will be at the cost of my time to figure out.

So I've talked myself off the ledge. This is the cheapest/quickest route for me to achieve HP and modern efi with the chance of a late summer debut. Hopefully I fall in love the way it sounds.

Paul G

With the Viper V10 it will sound like no other hot rod out there. Get the right exhaust and it will have a narly idle. My SRT10 truck has the Magnaflow exhaust, It is pretty loud, but I have heard Vipers that are even louder.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ChargedNJ

Well, its funny...when i decided to go this route, i had heard enough vipers idle and the sound was close enough to a classic v8 that i thought i was fine...idle definitely appears manageable.  It was the link below that led me to recognize last week that once a certain type of motor spools up to high RPM they have certain sound characteristics that are unchangeable.  I know it seems like a silly thing, and don't get me wrong...performance is important...but a huge the charm of these cars (or any car for that matter) is aesthetic, both seen and heard.  There is always going to be voracious debate about the visual...stock vs pro-street vs pro-tour.  I think all three styles are great...my personal preference is pro-tour, both for the look and performance...but to each his own.  The one thing i would go out on a limb and say all three style fans nearly universally agree on is sound.  I think we all love that deep, throaty rumble of an american V8 whether at idle or spooled up at 8K rpm.  I think the viper will be a great sound and i will be happy, but i think there will be always something missing for me.  But i needed to prioritize and cost is a big one.  Time is the other...i dont want to rush a change in direction on motor but i'm also kind of mid-life crisis-ing right now and i don't want to lose another summer just to get it exactly the way i want.  Honestly, i would be thrilled if i had this thing driving in July with a VW beetle motor in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pz4dYuQK_c

GT

I'll be happy to share my engine wiring harness diagrams/pin outs with you.  I made my own and figured out what was and wasn't needed.  While you'll still need to build it, it will save you a ton of time vs. going through thousands of pages of electrical diagrams and metering every wire out...  There were like 150 wires to deal with in the half dozen or so connectors - i think like only 1/2 were needed in the end.

There will be some differences due to transmission and sensor changes (knock sensors, etc.).

Don't forget these V10's have a very broad stump pulling torque curve!

2012 Charger SRT8