News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V10 Charger (Update 5/25/21)

Started by GT, June 21, 2007, 01:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

I've taken a new direction with the power train for my 70.  See the attachment...it's a Gen III   :nana:

Once I free this beast from it's current home - I'll have to start the mock up.  K-frame will be the biggest challenge.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

NYCMille

I would check out the '68 built by Matt Delany... I think your in for a fight as he had to cut and move the firewall back to get it to fit as well as redo the entire front suspension, k-frame and everything else.

Charger74

I agree with Mike.  While it could be a lot of fun, it will be a lot of work.  Probably better off findning a modern Hemi for it....

Brock Samson

what i heard from the owner of a coronet that did it to his '68, he needed two more inches behind the current firewall...   :eek2:

:popcrn:

keep us posted o.k. i'm really curious...

4cruzin

Would be a sweet car when finished!!   :yesnod:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Nacho-RT74

was already done on a silver 68 with red stripes and interior as far I can recall now, and is a fact the firewall was modidied
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

COOL!  Good luck to you and keep us updated  :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

dpm68

Quote"modidid"?
must be one of those new catch-phrases.

Brock Samson

seems i remember a red one at SEMA a couple yrs ago too...

so that's a total of three b-bod with the v-10...

oh yeah 'n speaking of  "$et Back" :smilielol:

GT

You have any more pictures of that car?  I am curious as to the suspension.  I don't think I'm going to set mine back like that - too many issues with wipers, a/c, shifter location,etc. I "think"...

I mocked up a tire today - 295/35ZR18.  Gotta love mini-tubs.  Still have 2" on either side and this is a 12" wide tire.    :2thumbs:
I don't like how short the side wall is.  :-\   I think I'm gonna look at a 295/45R18 - should give me about 1-1/4" taller side wall.

2012 Charger SRT8

Brock Samson

dodgecharger-fan

Nice! Good luck with the transplant and keep us posted...

All this talk about enigne bay room got me thinking about how much room there is under the hood of 3rd gen Charger...    :scratchchin:

Charger1973

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on June 23, 2007, 10:54:06 AM
Nice! Good luck with the transplant and keep us posted...

All this talk about enigne bay room got me thinking about how much room there is under the hood of 3rd gen Charger...    :scratchchin:

Move the radiator support forward and youd have plenty.  When I was younger we used to keep our beer up there... cops never think to look for it under the hood.   :shruggy:

GT

Here's a pic of the suspension of Matt Delaney's 68 Charger.  A couple of comments. 

First, awesome craftsmanship  :2thumbs:.

Second, as with the few v10 swaps I have seen - all seem to be using the Viper version of the V10 and not the SRT-10 Truck version.  Two big differences.  First, the exhaust manifolds dump out the back on the truck, whereas they dump out sides at a 90 degree angle on the viper.  Second, the viper oil pan is deep in the front to about 3/4 of the way back - note how Matt modified the suspension/kframe to clear.  On the Truck version, it has a deep sump in the back and is shallow in the front.  I believe this will make it much easier to fit either to the existing k-frame (doubtful) or it certainly makes the usage of the Alterkation much easier with perhaps only creating customer motor mounts...
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

Here is a not-so-good shot of the truck v10 oil pan.  My concern now is, doesn't it hang down too low?  It's 3" deep in the front and a whopping 10" deep at the sump.  I believe a big-block is only 5-6" deep.  Could be a real problem mandating customizing the oil pan and pickup...

2012 Charger SRT8

duo-stripe

I think it will be a heck of a job but...when it's done..it'll be one sweet ride.

Good luck!!
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

73ChargerSE

So you're using the truck v10?  Best of luck and I'm sure that car will be incredible when it's done.  :drive:

GT

Yes, the SRT-10 version (Viper motor) - the aluminum 500HP version, not the heavy cast iron verison.
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

Was able to strip down the SRT-10 a bit.  Plan is to remove the rest of the suspension, hack off the back of the frame just pass the transmission cross member and put some 8"x2" casters on it for a rolling engine stand...albeit a Heavy Duty stand  ;).  I can keep the whole thing running while I sort out other issues.  Here is a before and after:

2012 Charger SRT8

GT

The first roadblock I have encountered is the security system.   Everything functions/runs normally.  However, I will not be using the steering column which includes the Immobilizer security system for the ignition.  I would like to know how to permanently remove/disable the security system and still be able to start the engine.  I have the FSM - but it only mentions how to reprogram new fobs and that the Immobilizer and PCM exhange VIN's to validate before starting.  I know not all trucks had these (an option) - is there something I can do to remove it, or does it require a reprogram of the PCM?

Here is the offending piece.  It has an RF antenna that surrounds the key fob:

2012 Charger SRT8

bull

Wow! That poor truck is really hammered. :o

pettyfan43

Where did that truck come from? THere was one back during the winter down here (North Alabama) that a used car dealer got killed in because he was clowning around in it! IT was black as well.

GT

Life of the truck started in MO, moved to AK were it was wrecked, bought/hauled to OK where I picked it up and now resides in TX   :2thumbs:   Story has it that some guys girl friend wrecked it  :pity:  Supposedly no serious injuries...
2012 Charger SRT8