News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage Limiter

Started by Yeahmate, July 12, 2007, 02:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeahmate

Hiya's
Can somebody tell me where to buy (online) a dash gauge voltage limiter? for a 68 charger
Thanks

Ghoste

Rock Auto?  You should be able to get one just about anywhere though, even your Chrysler dealer.

Yeahmate

Quote from: Ghoste on July 12, 2007, 03:44:09 PM
Rock Auto?  You should be able to get one just about anywhere though, even your Chrysler dealer.

Thanks Ghoste, I did try rockautos before I posted, but only come up with a voltage regulator. Being in australia, my chrysler will just  :shruggy:.
Anybody else know?

Chatt69chgr

First of all, do you mean by voltage limiter the instrument voltage regulator?  If so, I looked on the Rockauto website and see that if you go to Dodge/Charger RT/ 1969/ Electrical that it will lead you to Voltage Regulator.  You don't want that---it's for the alternator.  Choose the category Electrical/Switch & Relay.  Then look for the instrument voltage regulator under that category.  The one they sell is an Airtex part number 1V1000 and costs $31.79.  But these are also available from Napa and others.  They are electromechanical devices.  Solid state substitutes are available.  It's just a 12 volt to 5 volt dc converter.  You can find info on these by using the Search feature on this site.

Yeahmate

Champion, thanks for that Chatt69chgr. Now why didn't I think to to look under 69 instead of 68 LOL. Must be an oversight in the part catalog.
:cheers:

Ghoste

I always seem to find that 1970 is the magical cutoff year around here.  And then try convincing them that a later year part will interchange.  ::) :brickwall:

hemi68charger

rock auto..

http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?VRC601.html

Troy

Your local auto parts store might even have them...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Yeahmate

Well all was good till yesterday, rock autos come back with;

I'm writing to you regarding your recent RockAuto order # 740953. 
Unfortunately Airtex indicates part # 1V1000 has been placed on a
national backorder with no ETA as to when it will be available.  No
alternates are listed for the vehicle listed on your order that match
the original part you ordered.  As we do not have the part you have
ordered or a substitute, we have canceled your order with us.  Your
credit card has not been charged for this order.  :brickwall:

I've try the like of NAPA etc but their don't deliver international,
well maybe I'll look at buying a reducing transformer 12 to 5 volt,
so who know what amp rating I need.

lookin@my68

I'd just make one up like this...

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/elec/11.html

I'm in Australia too, so I know what it's like to try and get parts!
:cheers:

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

rt green

i would love to find a solid state limiter. looked on the search here, but couldnt find it. can anyone help?
third string oil changer

The70RT

I found a Borg-Warner one on eBay last night for 14.70 buy it now :icon_smile_big:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lilwendal

If your still interested I can provide you with a solid state conversion voltage limiter. Only way to go.  The old style is a risk.  Points stick once and you fry all your gauges. I"ve got a dozen converted now and am getting ready to list some on Ebay to see if there is an interest.  Similiar method as the above link. They are cheap to build just time consuming.  I'm an avionics tech with a airline so I do the conversion in our shop during slow times.  I'll post some pics tomorrow but physically it looks the same as the original except for a small #40 rivit in the housing to attach the chip internally.
If you need an old style I have dozens of those as well.  Tested good but honestly I wouldn't put anything but a solid state back in.  Specially with a restored cluster.
30.00 for a solid state
10.00 for original points

Plumcrazy

Quote from: rt green on July 31, 2007, 08:02:23 PM
i would love to find a solid state limiter. looked on the search here, but couldnt find it. can anyone help?

Radio Shack #276-1770

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

The70RT

Quote from: lilwendal on July 31, 2007, 08:18:22 PM
If your still interested I can provide you with a solid state conversion voltage limiter. Only way to go.  The old style is a risk.  Points stick once and you fry all your gauges. I"ve got a dozen converted now and am getting ready to list some on Ebay to see if there is an interest.  Similiar method as the above link. They are cheap to build just time consuming.  I'm an avionics tech with a airline so I do the conversion in our shop during slow times.  I'll post some pics tomorrow but physically it looks the same as the original except for a small #40 rivit in the housing to attach the chip internally.
If you need an old style I have dozens of those as well.  Tested good but honestly I wouldn't put anything but a solid state back in.  Specially with a restored cluster.
30.00 for a solid state
10.00 for original points

How much are you going to be listing them for?

lilwendal

The shops that do cluster restos get 75.00 to 100.00.   The Moparts link above's author offers the service for 50.00 with you providing a core.
Again the parts to do the swap is like 2.50.  So its really an issue of time.  Since I do them on my employeers time ;D when we are slow, I'm actually getting paid to make them :D.  So I guess I should give them away right? LOL. I was going to list 1 or 2 with a buy it now of 40.00.  Then a couple more with a 30.00 start bid and see what happens.  If there not an interest I'll just keep them for the clusters I do.
I purchased 50 of the orignals as a package deal with the intent on converting them.  I'm suprised there is not a vendor that produces these in solid state and it looks like the supply of originals is drying up from the above Rock Auto post.
If anyone here is interested 30.00 for a solid state and I'll cover the shipping or an original tested points for 10.00 and again I'll cover shipping.
Lower 48 of course.

The70RT

Quote from: lilwendal on July 31, 2007, 09:16:59 PM
The shops that do cluster restos get 75.00 to 100.00.   The Moparts link above's author offers the service for 50.00 with you providing a core.
Again the parts to do the swap is like 2.50.  So its really an issue of time.  Since I do them on my employeers time ;D when we are slow, I'm actually getting paid to make them :D.  So I guess I should give them away right? LOL. I was going to list 1 or 2 with a buy it now of 40.00.  Then a couple more with a 30.00 start bid and see what happens.  If there not an interest I'll just keep them for the clusters I do.
I purchased 50 of the orignals as a package deal with the intent on converting them.  I'm suprised there is not a vendor that produces these in solid state and it looks like the supply of originals is drying up from the above Rock Auto post.
If anyone here is interested 30.00 for a solid state and I'll cover the shipping or an original tested points for 10.00 and again I'll cover shipping.
Lower 48 of course.

PM me with the type of payment you need. Thanks.

rt green

third string oil changer

lilwendal

Heres some pics of the process. First shows the old style points with the new style solid state. Next shows the solid state guts installed in the housing. Lastly the case closed. The noise suppresor that plugs in with the limiter is no longer required.  It was there to supress theelectronic noise from the points.  70RT yours will ship tomorrow. Thanks!

The70RT

Quote from: lilwendal on August 02, 2007, 05:36:07 PM
Heres some pics of the process. First shows the old style points with the new style solid state. Next shows the solid state guts installed in the housing. Lastly the case closed. The noise suppresor that plugs in with the limiter is no longer required.  It was there to supress theelectronic noise from the points.  70RT yours will ship tomorrow. Thanks!

Got it a couple days ago. Thanks buddy.

71 B5383

Have you tried Summit Racing? 1-800-230-3030 :2thumbs: Worth a shot!
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

Purple Haze

Quote from: lilwendal on July 31, 2007, 09:16:59 PM
Again the parts to do the swap is like 2.50.  So its really an issue of time.  Since I do them on my employeers time ;D when we are slow, I'm actually getting paid to make them :D.  So I guess I should give them away right? LOL.

Lower 48 of course.

I'm interested....I'll send you an email for details....Thanks

Bob E
Plum Crazy, 440 Six Pack, 4 speed hemi, 4.10 Dana Super Grip
My Lucky Story
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=268&highlight=#268

aifilaw

Honestly you could make one of these very easily just by going out and buying a TO-220 package voltage regulator if all you need is 5VDC from a 12VDc system. Radioshack is a little expensive for parts, a little research will get you what you need from mouser, digikey, et cetera.

5 watts of power is probably all you need for the dash, so a 3-Amp regulator is all you need. LT-1085 popped up on the first page and would fit the bill.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=LT1085CT-5-ND
costs $3.70 before shipping, could probably get a sample through the manufacturer for free total, and would cost you 5 minutes in soldering time.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Charger74

Here is another answer to the regulator.  This guy made it himself and is producing them.  Price is ok and will work for many thing.

http://www.demonivr.com/

Nacho-RT74

there are LOOOTS of those limiters still around, but I'm not at home right now to provide you links. ebay, chargerspecialties, Paddock, etc... will give you accuratte info when arrive at home
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html